Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • It is worth fixing our washer-dryer?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Hi, we’ve got an Indesit washer-dryer and I think the heating element has gone as it no longer dries clothes, but will still wash them and spin (although I don’t think it’s heating the water either).

So the question is, should we get an engineer in to fix it or should I go out and buy a new washing machine and tumble-dryer (we’ve now got space for both so don’t necessarily need the washer dryer) and sell the broken one on flea-bay for beer money?? Thanks.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Anyone?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I think the received wisdom is that it’s not worth getting an engineer in to much at all these days as they’re designed to fail. Unless you’ve got something like a Bosch, Dyson or Miele….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Get someone to look at it and quote. We had similar recently – one guy said bin it but we couldn’t afford a new one so we got someone else out and quoted £70 to fix it.

Might not last that much longer but we couldn’t afford the £500+ right now for a new machine.

john_drummer
    Free Member

after factoring in call out charge, hour by hour labour and the cost of any parts, it’s probably not economically worth repairing.

Buy a new one and you can even get the old one taken away for nowt. Or you could do once upon a time…

<edit> 500???? 😯 </edit>

MartynS

Have a search for repair instructions online and do it yourself…you can’t hurt it anymore than it already is!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah £500 – it’s an integrated washer drier and the few <£500 ones get such bad reviews they don’t seem worth bothering with. The ‘best buy’ in Which is £700 😮

steelfan
    Free Member

Its worth having ago yourself. I’ve fixed mine twice and saved loads in the process. First the pump went then the brushes needed changing in the motor. This site has heaps of valuable info Washer Help

Grimy
    Free Member

washing machines really arnt that hard to fix. Unless your the stereo typical pen pusher, then just have a little read up on the net about your perticular model and have a go yourself. Youve nothing to loose and lots to gain, as well as a damn sight more eco freindly then scraping and buying new for what is probably no more than a themal trip issue. What Model Is it btw?

griffter18
    Free Member

Had the same problem with ours last year.
    If your good with a spanner it will cost you <£5 to fix.

The indesit washer/dryers have a plastic box inside that collects all the fluff. They block up which then causes the heater to trip.
    Remove the back & the top and youll see a whitish box at the back on the left. Bit of a pain to get out but all you do is clean the fluff out.
    Next. On top is the Aliminium heater box. there is a small fuse inside some heat resistent sleve(cant remeber if its inside or out.I think it was out and held down by a clamp. Go to your local parts shop and replace it. They are pennies.
    Put it all back together and all should be well.
    Send me the £70 you would have spent on a repair or the £300 on a new one :0)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘It is worth fixing our washer-dryer?’ is closed to new replies.