• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by apj.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • IT Help! Removing a damaged install of Ubuntu
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Installed Ubuntu alongside WIndows 7 on a laptop.

When messing about trying to get the graphics drivers installed it seems to have corrupted them.

I can now not get past very error messages regarding Ubuntu low graphics mode. I have tried various repairs suggested on line but I am starting to think it would be easier to just remove it and start again.

There isn’t much on the laptop, either in Windows or Ubuntu, so it won’t take me long to save any files I need on there.

If I run Windows System restore will that remove Ubuntu from the boot loader and from the rest of the disk?
    Or will I end up if half an install of Ubuntu and the boot loader menu showing up?
    WIll it complicate an reinstall of Ubuntu?
    Shall I struggle on trying to repair?

keefmac

does it boot into windows okay
    if so you can run disk manager and just delete your ubuntu partitions, they will be visible there.
    or if you have the ubuntu live cd you could boot from that and re-install.
    personally i would go for linux mint instead of ubuntu, same kernel but nicer

gobuchul
    Free Member

Windows runs fine.

If I just delete the partitions will the boot options not still appear?

I’ll try the Ubuntu reinstall option.

edhornby

don’t use windows system restore, cos windows ain’t broken, and it won’t ride over the partition

keefmac is right, go to disc manager, delete the partition and do a fresh install

apj
    Free Member

I’d be wary of just nuking the Ubuntu partitions from Windows. Reason being that the boot manager may have some code in the MBR (start of the disk prior to the partitions) that may jump to (one of) the Ubuntu partitions, before presenting the boot menu. If you remove the partition the boot manager might fail, meaning you (temporarily) can’t get into Windows. That’s fine if you have a Windows repair/recovery CD or Ubuntu install which should fix it.

Personally I would try another version of Linux which will “automatically” sort the drivers for you, e.g. Mint or Fedora might be worth trying. If you want to try a Ubuntu reinstall then that will probably give you the option of replacing your existing failed installation.

So I would say no need to remove the partitions from Windows as there is a chance you will break the boot-loader sequence, or even remove the wrong partition (have seen this happen!).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘IT Help! Removing a damaged install of Ubuntu’ is closed to new replies.