• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • IT help please: Blue screen system crash- Windows trying to boot when running???
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

A bit of a vague question but hopefully I’ll have more information soon…

Essentially a PC is having daily crashes (described as a blue screen then frozen machine but I haven’t seen it myself to be sure). The curious thing was that the Windows system logs appear to show that the OS was trying to boot at the times around every crash.

Is there any way that Windows can try to boot once already running and if so does anyone know what might cause this? I guess the other alternative is is this command possibly as a result of the crash rather than actually just before as I have been assuming???

As I say, sorry for the lack of information at the moment but does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Many thanks, DanW

Poopscoop

People will ask.

What version of Windows mate?

Cougar

Blue screen will cause a reboot.

See if there’s a load of .dmp files in C:/Windows/Minidump/

DanW
    Free Member

Windows 10 I believe

I don’t have access to the PC at present but it would be good to know where to look and roughly what to do to try and help the friend out, or get a better idea of what resources there are for getting to the bottom of it. Their IT folks have been stumped and I know there are a lot of knowledgeable folk here on STW!

See if there’s a load of .dmp files in C:/Windows/Minidump/

Thanks, will do.

Are there any other tips to go about working out where these blue screen crashes come from?

Cougar

Yeah, send me one of the dump files and I’ll take it to bits.

Greybeard
    Free Member

The only reason my PC reboots while running is Windows Update – possibly its downloaded a corrupted/incompatible update which blue screens it, then it recovers to the original state, and after a while tries again, with the same result.

DanW
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar, I’ll be in touch when I can get on the machine

STW is an awesome place 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘IT help please: Blue screen system crash- Windows trying to boot when running???’ is closed to new replies.