• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • IT help please, bitlocker recovery
  • D0NK

OK so I have a w7 laptop encrypted with bitlocker
    I have the windows password
    OS does not boot up to desktop, get to log in screen but freezes/stalls after inputting password.
    What I don’t have is the recovery key so no safe mode boot or sticking it into a caddy.
    Obviously the drive is full of very important data.

Any ideas?
    Yes I’m googling away but thought I’d try you guys.

simon_g

Corporate machine (joined to a domain), or a standalone?

If the former, the recovery key should be stored in AD and an administrator will be able to get it for you. If the latter, you (or whoever set it up) will have been prompted to save the recovery key or print it out.

Either way, if you don’t have it and can’t get it, you’re screwed. Sorry. That’s kind of the point of encrypting hard drives.

D0NK

stand alone and yes key should have been saved, this important data should have been backed up elsewhere too. Forgot to mention that the HDD is on it’s way out aswell, I need access to the encryption to try a data recovery. Unfortunately what should have happened doesn’t help me now 😕

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gwaelod
    Free Member

your IT Admin have to sort it – with Bitlocker it’s a few goes at the Bitlocker Password and then it’s only recoverable by IT support.

Windows password is irrelevant.

tinribz
    Free Member

jimdubleyou

Could probably crack it if you rent a Cray for a couple of years.

or 4321.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

p455w0rd

sorry, just noticed you’ve got the password and are missing the key:

k3y

Cougar

If you can get to a login screen, I’d have thought you could bring it up in Safe Mode, even with Bitlocker? Hammer F8 on boot to get the boot menu.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Take you usb drive out and restart it – works 9 times out of ten

stealth edit – thats my standard reply when people here get stuck on the bitlocker screen at boot

D0NK

your IT Admin have to sort it

hello.
    Cougar you need bitlocker recovery key to get into safe mode (well you do on this system – surprised me too)

After much trial and error (and hours and hours of waiting) I managed to get a command prompt open and got a peek at the recovery key. Dunno how much data we’ll get off it but it’s a start.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘IT help please, bitlocker recovery’ is closed to new replies.