Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • IT help, please.
  • MrSparkle

Got a new laptop and I am having a couple of problems.
    1. If I open my works email remotely I can read 'em ok but if I try to reply the space for the reply has the old red square with a white cross in it and I can't use it.
    2. My Hotmail account – if I get an email with a file attached and try to download it, it says it is downloading but never reaches where it is supposed to be downloading to and just cycles endlessly, doing nowt.

I can't find anywhere to alter any relevant settings. What gives? I *really* need to be able to save downloaded files, and soon. HELP!

zaskar
    Free Member

Reconfigure Outlook?

Stoner
    Free Member

if you're using a web portal to access your works mail (which it sounds like if you have a red cross) try ctrl+f5 in your browser to refresh the image cache.

MrSparkle

Tell me more.

MrSparkle

Tried Cntrl and F5.Comes up with 'The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.'

MrSparkle

Bump.

uplink
    Free Member

Are you using something like BitDefender? – if so disable it [or any other anti-virus or firewall software] & try again

If it now works, you know you have a permissions/security configuration problem

atlaz
    Free Member

Chances are the plugin needed by the web app version of your mail software isn't installed or the security settings won't allow it to run. We use Outlook Web Access at work for those without laptops and have that problem. Take it to your office IT bods and get them to sort it as it's hard to fix it (easier to suggest teh problem) over a forum 😉

z1ppy

fixed the second issue for my next door neightbour, by dumping McAfee security scan and replacing it with Avast (free) VA and ZoneAlarm (free).

MrSparkle

It has got McAfee on it, maybe that's the problem.

user-removed
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with outlook express. Disabled the 'Outgoing mail scan' on Kaspersky, and straight back to business as usual.

Did you get it sorted OP?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

or the security settings won't allow it to run

I've seen this before – most likely your problem.

soma_rich
    Free Member

maybe you dont have activeX downloaded in your work email is there a yellow bar at the top of the screen with a message?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Your reply problem is a server side issue, there was a hotfix for it, forward this to your IT folks:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911829

MrSparkle

Still not sorted either of the problems. Will try that, tragically1969.
    Thanks to everybody who has suggested solutions.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Have you tried a different browser? With the web Outlook portal IE tries to run a load of extra stuff to make it look nice. In firefox you'll get a more basic look, but it might work a lot better

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘IT help, please.’ is closed to new replies.