Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • IT help needed – firewalls
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I run two old computers networked together but not using a router. Both computers run win 2000. Until recently we have been using zone alarm software firewalls on both but zone alarm no longer supports win 2000 so we cannot continue to use it.

Any recommendations for a software firewall that will work with win 2000 and is as functional as zone alarm?

I know it might be beneath you all to consider win 2000 stuff 🙂 but a little help would be appreciated.

Ta!

wwaswas

I’ve got a Netgear wireless/wired adsl router/firewall/router you can have for £25 posted TJ. 834GT is the model number.

more flexible and probably more secure than software protection.

Shakey
    Free Member

Just because Zone Alarm no longer supports Win 2000 this shouldn’t prevent you from using it. It will still work but won’t be updated.

Alternatively, I think Comodo is still win200 compliant!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yeah i’d say that in place of ZA your best option is to use a router with a hardware firewall built in.
    can’t you just run ZA at the version it last provides win2k support though? (i diched ZA last year so not up on its functionality that much these days).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We were starting to have some issues with using firefox with the zone alarm firewall. All the software getting out of date and so on.

Is a software firewall worth having?

Shakey
    Free Member

Its worth having if you don’t have a hardware firewall (Router) as you don’t really want to rely on the WIndows firewell.

HTTP404
    Free Member

a router Nat firewall doesn’t do the same job as a software firewall.

also try the free “comodo” firewall.

GrahamS

All I use is my router firewall (Netgear DG834). I don’t see the point of a software firewall on top of that.

You can pick up a router pretty cheaply and it would make networking your two computers a lot easier (I presume you’re using Internet Connection Sharing or something at the moment which means they both have to be on).

druidh
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

All I use is my router firewall (Netgear DG834). I don’t see the point of a software firewall on top of that.

You can pick up a router pretty cheaply and it would make networking your two computers a lot easier (I presume you’re using Internet Connection Sharing or something at the moment which means they both have to be on).

Wot he said. I’ve been running router with firewall for years and had no problems whatsoever.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘IT help needed – firewalls’ is closed to new replies.