Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • IT help needed – dyslexic keyboard
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I use a Remote Desktop connection from my home PC to my work laptop so that I can use a full screen and keyboard. The laptop is on the home network and sits next to the home PC. I'm not connecting to an external address is my point.

Anyway, when typing the connection appears to hang slightly and when it catches up the letters I've typed are in the wrong order. I know, I know, this sounds like I'm taking the proverbial, but seriously. If I typed Singletrack world it may come out Singworldl etrack, so it's not spelling problems since it impacts adjacent words.

Anyone got any clues? I'm trying to be productive today but this is driving me potty. Cheers

Drac

Why not just plug your screen into your laptop?

Gordy
    Free Member

If you type …

QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKL;ZXCVBNM

… then what does it come out as?

aracer
    Free Member

I dnot konw waht yruoe cinmolapnig auobt.

skidartist
    Free Member

¿u?op ?p?sdn do?d?1 ??? bu?u?n? p???? no? ????

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Why not just plug your screen into your laptop?

Too much faff connecting the home monitor and keyboard (my cables are all neatly cable-tied in place) and also I still need access to the home PC.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you type …

QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKL;ZXCVBNM

… then what does it come out as?

QWERTYUIOPASDDFGHJKL\ZXNM,.CVB

I may have mistyped a bit there, but notice that the CVB came after the NM instead of before

Gordy
    Free Member

Oddness. Have a look in Regional/Language Options at text Services and input languages box to check your keyboard layout. Got some anti-keylogging software on there? Maybe spyware? *mind goes blank*

Would probably try creating a new profile and safe mode to see if the fault still occurs.

HTH.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Suggests keylogging/dodgyness to me, the protocols for remote access should prevent the text getting jumbled at all, just send nothing instead. For it to be altered I'd suspect someones poor programming skills were intercepting it and badly reconstructing. That said, it may be entirely uninteresting.

wwaswas

try somethign like logmein as an alternative to RDP and see if you get the same results?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Cheers Gordy. Been baffling me too. It's not a new thing and doesn't always happen. I'm no touch typist but can get a reasonable pace on. The faster I type the more likely it is to occur. It's almost like the remote connection can't keep up, particularly since it doesn't seem to happen when I work on the laptop directly

stilltortoise
    Free Member

try somethign like logmein

never really got on with that, but I can't remember why 😕
    I think it was more difficult to switch from local to remote PC than Remote Desktop. Might be worth trying again
    As for keylogging, I've never had anything come up on any malware or virus scan and I'm pretty careful with stuff like that.

Drac

Too much faff connecting the home monitor and keyboard (my cables are all neatly cable-tied in place) and also I still need access to the home PC.

A lot of monitors now had 2 input and you just switch between them, a second keyboard can be easily stored away.

epicyclo

skidartist – Member
    ¿u?op ?p?sdn do?d?1 ??? bu?u?n? p???? no? ????

Is that an Australian keyboard?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Drac, I switch regularly from the laptop to the home PC; it's a simple keyboard shortcut. It wouldn't be practical to have two keyboards at all, not to mention having more cables to plug in when I boot up the laptop. At the moment nothing has to be plugged into the laptop. I definitely want to do this via software rather than hardware

wwaswas

do you get the same issue rdp'ing from the laptop to the main pc?

redthunder
    Free Member

You need a Apple Mac for that 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

o you get the same issue rdp'ing from the laptop to the main pc?

Can't check, because the home PC is XP home and therefore has no terminal server for remote access into it

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘IT help needed – dyslexic keyboard’ is closed to new replies.