• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • IT Help :(
  • matt_outandabout

I shutdown laptop on Friday afternoon, at end of working day.

Fire it up now, and first attempt was a blank screen.

Second attempt has started just fine – however all my files in a working folder on desktop, plus work VPN connection shortcut etc has disappeared.

Most files are backed up – I do this every couple of weeks to our server.

However I am confused as to WTF just happened, and could do with my files back.

Any suggestions?

(Win10, ESET 6.4 AntiVirus shows nothing and Recuva)

Cougar

Sounds like it might be a temporary profile. Hard disk full?

matt_outandabout

149GB used
    309GB free

leffeboy

that. If you normally log on to a server perhaps you have managed to log on without the domain name? Once you are back at work on the domain I would expect to be able to find the ‘real’ account again

matt_outandabout

This is not on remote desktop.

This is just an admin user on laptop – and files are in two places in two folders on desktop – one personal bits and bobs, one work files I use for my training courses.

scc999

open windows explorer (Wndows key + e), This PC – Local Disc (C:) – Users

This will show all local profiles. Sounds like (as mentioned above) you have been logged on with a local profile for some reason (corrupt profile maybe?).
    Your regular profile will be there – you will probably be prompted for an admin password to access it.

Can you see your folders in that?

Si

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Have you tried booting it whilst plugged in with an ethernet cable? I sometimes have to do this with mine, then connect with VPN for it to work.

matt_outandabout

In local disk I have:
    Default (greyed out)
    Default Migrated
    Matt
    Public

None other than Matt have any files in – and Matt shows what I can currently see on desktop..

z1ppy

Cougar – Moderator

Assuming the Hdd not full, give it a reboot or two or even three, this may kick it back into your normal profile (seen this happen out of the blue for no reason and then go back to normal afterwards..), t’is worth a try. Either way, as mentioned your data still there just not on the temporary profile you’ve logged onto.

Cougar

Try a scandisk? Also, sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt (run as administrator).

Can you search for a file you know should be there, see if you can get a location?

Is it on a domain? Some sort of folder redirection in play?

scc999

^^ What Cougar said.

Would be strange to have a folder redirect on the Desktop folder, bit anything is possible I guess?/

We’re still mostly on W7 so I’ve not got any experience of what W10 does with a corrupt profile I’m afraid.

Si

jbproductions
    Free Member

Sounds like a corrupt profile so the scandisk option is a good one. As you’ve just learned it’s a bad idea to keep all your files on your desktop. I’d also advise against having admin access on your normal account if possible.

matt_outandabout

Done a reboot x4 -not successful.
    Recuva has found many files, all of which seem to be 9.22am on Friday. Hmmm.

Ive got to pop out and pick up son – will look into a scan when I get back..

Seems odd to have all my other bit (desktop pic, browsers set up as I have them etc), but just the few things that were on my desktop missing….

disco_stu
    Free Member

Have you tried looking at the previous version of the desktop folder in your user profile?

bedfordrd

As a precaution, run a full virus scan (defender??) and I’d also download ‘malwarebytes’ and run a scan from that as well. Just to be sure you haven’t inadvertently become a victim of malware which has hidden/encrypted all your files.

slowoldman

I would be inclined to check folder options to ensure you can see all folders (hidden, system, etc.) then do a search on C:\ for Desktop or for a filename you have saved on the desktop.

leffeboy

He’s using eset 6. Unless its been throwing an alert i wouldn’t bother with malwarebytes. It is worth ensuring its been updated but I would very much doubt that’s the issue. Ransomware nearly always leaves you the originals but encrypted along with a link on where to go to pay

leffeboy

Have you tried looking at the previous version of the desktop folder in your user profile?

is a very good idea

matt_outandabout

Morning all

Ive got chance to look at the laptop again.

Eset shows nothing – that was one of my first ideas.

I’ve searched for specific file names – nothing showing.

Trying to use Recuva shows a couple of thousand files it could recover – but then throws out a disk error so unreadable files. This may be the issue.

How do I do this

matt_outandabout

I also forgot to add – it won’t let me connect to our remote desktop/VPN service. I added new shortcuts, all the settings are correct, it just says the service is unavailable. This is a bigger problem than a few days of lost files…

disco_stu
    Free Member

How do I do this

Open up your user profile in the users profile on the C: drive.
    Right click on the Desktop folder and then select properties.
    There should be a tab with previous versions.
    You can either revert to a previous version or copy the files/folders you need.

matt_outandabout

Yah boo – no previous versions. 🙁

deadkenny
    Free Member

Recycle bin have anything in it?

If it is a corporate profile then does smell of a corrupt profile. IT bods where you VPN into could shed some light perhaps. Other is possibility there’s a policy that wipes your desktop for some daft reason? (not sure if that’s even possible).

Does Windows 10 have an option to sync the desktop folder (and somehow it’s messed it up)? Don’t think I’ve seen that. Can sync the background, settings and “apps”. Folder/file syncing is down to OneDrive usually.

I always try to avoid keeping anything essential on the desktop as it’s part of the profile and I don’t trust things to not mess about with it.

Anything essential is stored in OneDrive or on a network synced folder.

matt_outandabout

VPN back working – just tried a new shortcut from scratch.

Files – it’s a mystery. I’ve lost ten days of some work, but I’m quite good at files that are a must/secure doing them on vpn. It’s big files such as PowerPoint that I do on desktop, and non critical files, so it’s not end of world.

geoffj

Goodish news – I’d suggest reviewing your backup strategy though. If I lost 2 weeks of work docs I’d be suicidal.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good news.

As an Apple user I will say no more 😉

kcal

blimey!

Our source code is archived off site, but I have had cause to make use of my own backup of source code (using a Time Machine style backup) when things went badly awry. Also user SyncBack and now True Image for similar purposes.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘IT Help :(’ is closed to new replies.