Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • IT geeks: Safari, firefox, chrome ?? whats best???
  • neilforrow

used firefox for ages… anything better out there…??

FuzzyWuzzy

depends what your criteria are… security, features, speed etc? even then it can depend on the web site you’re accessing. Personally I mostly use Chrome these days.

mboy
    Free Member

Best in what respect?

Having used em all in one flavour or another, most of it is down to personal taste and what you’re used to. For instance, though I love Mac’s, I don’t like Safari. Have tended to use Firefox on both Mac and PC as a result. Recently been giving Chrome a good go, didn’t like it when it first came out, but it’s significantly improved now, and other browsers have now copied many of its key features.

colournoise

Used Firefox until version 3.something when it started to feel a little slow and bloated (version 4 is meant to be a bit quicker but not tried it yet).

Use Chrome across Windows and Linux now. Does the job well enough.

slainte 😀 rob

neilforrow

depends what your criteria are

Best in what respect?

getting rid of ad’s and speed really….

willard

Chrome for everyday browsing on both Mac and Windows. IE for Sharepoint at work and some other bits.

NEVER Safari.

I have Firefox with some special plugins on some of my test machines, but it’s got less useful in subtle ways since 4 came out.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Firefox on Mac. As quick as can be and easy to set up to deal with ads, scripts, LSOs and other security/privacy matters. Lots of other great ad-ons to suit different browser requirements.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Hairychested
    Free Member

Firefox a lot, Chromium even more (laptops and home desktop), Midori when I feel like it. IE not for years. Tried Opera, wanted to like it, I don’t.

xiphon
    Free Member

Both Chrome and Firefox have ad blocking plugins, and both work exceptionally well – to the point that you forget ads actually exist on the web. IMHO the prefered Firefox ad block plugin does a better job at retaining the original page layout (with transparent 1px squares IIRC?)

For speed, I’d opt for Chrome personally.

brassneck

Chrome on everything now, not finding any sites I have a problem with now. My only gripe is its inability to handle ftp redirects (hp.com, I’m looking at you) but I can live with it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You know, it’s so simple to install/uninstall browsers that it probably makes more sense to just try the available options and see what suits individual requirements.

RealMan
    Free Member

Been using firefox for a while now. Have chrome as well, and it seems fairly quick, but it’s annoying in a few ways. Tried opera as it was meant to be brilliant, and it’s super annoying.

I think the speed difference between firefox 4 and chrome is tiny anyway. I find firefox so much easier to use, and so much more customizable. It’s down to personal preference though.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Use Firefox and occasionally Opera on PC’s. Opera on my Android phone. I tried Chrome early on, didn’t like it, never bothered trying again. Echo the comments above about trying them all out, maybe exclusively use each for a couple of weeks to get a real idea about the feel of the browser.

Cougar

You know, it’s so simple to install/uninstall browsers that it probably makes more sense to just try the available options and see what suits individual requirements.

This. I use Firefox myself, but I’ve got IE and Chrome installed for those times when a web page goes loopy for no good reason. (It’s also useful when you need to use two different sets of credentials on a site, or for abusing Ticketmaster). No harm at all in having more than one browser, or all of them, and just seeing what you end up using.

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve just moved onto Chrome, Firefox was crashing on me every half hour or so and I really can’t be bothered to try and figure it out

Chrome has been good so far

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘IT geeks: Safari, firefox, chrome ?? whats best???’ is closed to new replies.