Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • IT dudes – URLs to files in cloud storage…. Millions of them
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Is it possible to create individual links to millions of files that are in cloud storage?
    I have a database of 4.8 million images and want to store the files in online storage, but I need the URL of each file for the database.
    I’ve had a look at a couple of storage providers but can’t see how to create links automatically.

somouk
    Free Member

When you say create them automatically where are you creating them automatically?

If they have a naming convention and are in a flat folder an excel page using fill series would work to create the links but things are rarely that simple.

What is the overall end goal?

freddyg
    Free Member

Option 4 any use? I can’t open the video tutorial at work

Adobe Creative Cloud

bonchance
    Free Member

Yes there are a few, but you may need to look again at how you access.. Try S3 at Amazon for starters..

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_S3

You can kick the tyres on the ‘free’ tier as well..

sharkbait
    Free Member

[quoteIf they have a naming convention and are in a flat folder an excel page using fill series would work to create the links but things are rarely that simple.[/quote]
    This is similar to what happens now – the images are scanned invoices and the invoice number, account number and image filename are fed into a database which prepends the rest of the image URL onto the filename to create the link.

Client can then search for scanned documents within the database online using php using the invoice/account number and then simply clicking on the generated URl to download the image…. which is currently stored on a NAS system within our offices.

I’d like to explore storing the images in cloud storage but I still need to be able to generate the URL in the same sort of way as before. I’ll have a look again but I suspect my best way forward may be to continue hosting the images internally but with a cloud backup of the images.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Actually Amazon S3 looks promising 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Little update for anyone interested…. Amazon S3 does just the job, just chucking a few GB up to test it but all looks good.
    it’s not cheap but the data security should be good.
    Thanks for the info 🙂

bonchance
    Free Member

Surprising how useful it is.. Other firms offer simiar object services.
    MS Azure is worth a look if your comparing economics as well as features etc..

Hope it works out..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘IT dudes – URLs to files in cloud storage…. Millions of them’ is closed to new replies.