Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • It came from Russia – new 29er content
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Just had my maiden trip on the new Ti 29er and very nice it is too. Designed by steel frame maker Justin Burls, he and I agreed on the geometry, all his titanium frames are made in Russia by the guys that used to make Colnago’s Ti bikes.

Think this is going to be my do it all bike now, am racing XC and all day events mostly. New frame, Reba RLT and American Classic Race Tubeless wheels (also from Justin), the XTR/Formula R1 groupset and cockpit I already had.

23lb as seen, same weight as my old 26 Ti bike.

d45yth
    Free Member

Have you had the pic printed on the back of a matchbox? 😆

mcboo
    Free Member

Haha if you stick your face to the screen I swear it’s a bicycle.

I used to be able to do this

[edit…there you go]

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Looks very nice, are we allowed to ask what the frame cost?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That’s tidy. I do like Burls.
    Can you get some close-ups of the welds and stuff please, just curious about the details…

binners

Is that next doors ivy coming through/over? I’d have a word about that. It’ll wreck your fence if it gets a hold.

I can’t believe I’m the first person to point that out. This place has gone to the dogs of late 🙄

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mcboo – have you sold your purdddddy canyon cf race machine? pretty sure it was you who had that anyways, apologies if im wrong!

mcboo
    Free Member

Frame cost £1050 which I think is tremendous value for bespoke geometry. Will take some closer snaps later. Was looking at Lynskey and a few other Ti frames but I either couldnt get excited by them or they were just stupid money.

Yes the Canyon has gone though pretty much everything on the Burls less the frame, fork and wheels came from the Lux MR. I was holding out for a Canyon carbon 29er hardtail which come later this year but I’d have been long a whole bunch of parts so it made more sense to buy the bits I needed. Great thing about Canyon is the quality of the groupset you get for the money. Going to get a road bike from them next year.

weeksy

It’s impossible not to love this bike…

Yummy.

mcboo
    Free Member

mcboo
    Free Member

mcboo
    Free Member

mcboo
    Free Member

Stem will be slammed once I’m happy with the stack, dont worry purists…..

DanW
    Free Member

Looks really nice!

Do you have any idea of the frame weight? 23lbs complete seems heavy for all those nice parts hanging on it

ahwiles
    Free Member

Heavy?

23lbs?

my road bike weighs more than that…

DanW
    Free Member

My all round full susser weighs less than that 😉

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Very nice

Speshpaul

Very nice, i still have “gate” issues with 29ers but that looks a bute.
    whats going on with the seat post? seems to have some binks in it or is that a trick of the light?

gee
    Free Member

The rear end looks wonky on that last pic? Left chain stay welded on lower than right and chai stay bridge not parallel to the ground? Or is it just the angle of the pic?

Nice frame and good build too.

GB

mcboo
    Free Member

Does look wonky in that picture, in the flesh it’s all straight and even. Seat post just has some scuffs from the Canyon it came off. I’m 6’3, is a big bike, couldn’t get it much lighter.

Getting used to giving the bars a bit extra in the corners, otherwise it’s just super comfortable…….and fast. Broke my pb on my surrey hills loop in the wet on Friday.

trailertrash

I’m soery but how come the rear end looks assymetric in the photo, but isn’t in reality?

mcboo
    Free Member

I dunno. It isn’t.

JohnnyPanic

It’s the reflection on the stays, lights up the right hand side of each stay, making it look skewed to the right. Also the inside of the LH weld is lit up, the inside of the RH weld isn’t so it kind of disappears. Adds to the effect.

TheFlyingOx

I’ve always had this niggling feeling that 29ers look wrong somehow, for no apparent reason. Much like the Honda NSX, and late 90s Alfa Romeos.

But that. That is a gorgeous bike.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Its nice but for over a grand the gussets, welding and dropouts are a bit industrial.

Sandwich

Binners you missed the fence to the right needs re-treating. (Place has gone downhill)

Tidy welds mind

pete68
    Free Member

How are you finding this now you’ve had it a few weeks. Any problems or anything you’d change? I’m beginning to consider a move from FS to hard tail as my main bike as I’m getting fed up with the maintenance and cost of riding it this “summer”,for want of a better word. I already have a Solaris, but something lighter for racing on that’s still comfy would be good. The price of this seems good value compared to off the peg ti frames.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Nice bike. You will let us know when the frame cracks though won’t you? 😀

mcboo
    Free Member

Pete68……it’s turned out pretty much as I’d hoped. Wanted a set up for southern England XC racing/ all day events but also the odd big day in the hills. Did a big loop around and over Mount Keen in the Highlands yesterday, never really felt underbiked apart from on a really fast descent at the end when I could have done with more than 100mm forks.

I’d highly recommend. Am faster on all my old routes and it’s a whole lot more comfortable to ride than my Ti456……more than comfortable, it’s relaxing to ride.

Only thing I would change would be to ask for a little more mud clearance at the back, have a 2.25″ Rocket Ron on there and it only has a few mm room. Will likely switch to 2.0″ Mud-x for the winter so should be fine but a bit tight nonetheless.

tootallpaul

Similar ish to mine…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘It came from Russia – new 29er content’ is closed to new replies.