• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by MS.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • IT call centre scam?
  • Spin
    Free Member

I just took a call from an overseas call centre. After a bit of confusion it transpired that she claimed to be calling me because I had sent a number of microsoft error messages from my PC (you know the ones that pop up with send / don’t send) and she was going to tell me what was wrong with my PC. At this point I made my excuses and hung up as it was getting pretty tiresome trying to work out what was going on.

What do folks think? Scam to get details / wrong number / genuine?

cynic-al
    Free Member

def a scam…they ask you to log on to a site that then trawls your HD.

CountZero

Prolly a scam.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Scam, but you lost the opportunity for a bit of scammer baiting, its really enjoyable…..

Spin
    Free Member

I was assuming it was a scam but hadn’t heard of that particular one.

dribbling
    Free Member

100% scam. B….rds nearly tricked my old man few months ago.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

SCAM been going on for awhile

labsey
    Free Member

Scam. I had one a few weeks ago calling about faults I’d ‘logged’. Hung up when I told them I had a large amount of money in a Kenyan bank and asked if they could hold onto it for me.

Spin
    Free Member

Does anyone know how this works?

Is it just for details?

labsey
    Free Member

I think they try and remote log into your computer so they can steal your details and make witty comments on bike forums in your name.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I guess they remote on to your PC and load software to nick banking info etc

cynic-al
    Free Member

keystroke logger?

BigJohn

I answered the last one with “Thanks, you were quick, I only just placed the helpdesk request” That flummoxed him a bit, and when I went on to describe the fault – that the PC is going slow and freezing – he asked me “Why are you being so cheeky?” and hung up on me.

highclimber
    Free Member

They ask you to download a program which allows them to control your computer remotely. they then install whatever software/malware they wish to do what ever it is they want.

Very definitely a scam and i’d be calling BT to get their number reported.

seven
    Free Member

Scam details here

been around a while, after your money to fix non existent problems and loads malware

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers folks, was sure it was a scam but not how it worked.

MS
    Free Member

Last time I got them I told them I knew it was a scam and the wifey got real angry and was swearing at me. She was saying how could it be a scam…I just said, because I have an apple…then she hung up!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘IT call centre scam?’ is closed to new replies.