Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • IT bods help – viewing cached pages?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Don’t know if this is still possible but I can’t seem to be able to find a way to do it, in the past I remember being able to view cached pages during internet searches – something used to come up under the pages that had something like ‘view cached page’, or I was able to view a cached page, as I had last looked at it, in my history. Now if I go through my history it just wants to connect to the internet and if it’s not there it just says nothing found rather than being able to open up a cached page. I’ve tried the various online cached services but not found what I’m looking for.

So, any other ways of doing this? Is the page stored on my pc somewhere or not? It’s a website that has only been live for a few days and was hosted by a company that’s just deleted a lot of stuff, apparently no one had any back ups so trying to help a friend.

allthegear
    Free Member

Try typing

about:cache

Into the address bar. That’s what you used to type to browse the cache in browsers years ago. Not sure it’s still the same!

Rachel

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks, tried the above and managed to find some photos and images that were on the website 🙂 but no complete web pages or text 🙁

scaredypants

(I am not a computery person, but ….)

I think you’re maybe describing 2 different things here, kojak

If you google a subject and then click on the green url text for each result, it offers you the google cache version (still online but not “live”)

If you’re trying to go via your browser history then your browser will have to be set to allow cache usage and also not be set to reload pages when refreshing (I’m pretty sure these are both options in firefox)

… and don’t some phones offer the option of “save page for offline browsing” (or something like that) ?

deadkenny
    Free Member

^ as said. Google searches offer a cached version, but not on everything. Handy if the site is down.

Then there’s your browser history cache.

Or the Internet Archive Wayback Machine – https://archive.org/index.php (put the address of the site into the Wayback Machine box at the top and see if they’ve cached past history of the site).

Greybeard
    Free Member

On Firefox, in Windows 10, the browser cache is at

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random letters].default-[random numbers]\cache

Different browsers or OS will have the cache in different places. IE used be in Temporary Internet files but it’s harder to find on Windows 10.

You can copy these files and try renaming them to the extension you’re looking for, ie, if it’s an html page, rename as .htm, if an image, rename as .jpg

Easiest way to rename is using the command line.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Ah ha!

click on the green url text for each result, it offers you the google cache version

Thanks, using this I was able to find the text that was written and used, unfortunately no full page but the text will be useful for when they get it up and running again 😀 thanks all.

allthepies
    Free Member

You are the Ross County webmaster and I claim my free Haggis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-36080667

🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘IT bods help – viewing cached pages?’ is closed to new replies.