Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Istanbul, are we crazy
  • MadBillMcMad

So we are currently in Myanmar having a great time.

The flights we have are fixed and deliberately give us three days in Istanbul from Thursday.

Are we mad to go?

It does all appear fairly quiet now and FO advice is just be sensible!

On the possibly bright side it should be quiet from a tourist pov.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’ll be fine*

*unless you look like CIA gun runners

cranberry
    Free Member

Have you recently been asked to stage a coup by Squeaky McSqueakface ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Slightly yes. Even before the coup occupancy at normally sold out Club Med’s miles away near Antalya are at 25-50% occupancy. Numerous bombings inc one targetted at German tourists have seen to that. Our friends where in Kemer last few weeks and we decided not to go this year despite discounts of 25-40% – they got home ok after rearranged flights

If it where me I’d reschedule flights and maybe avoid Turkey all together.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Whats the worst that can happen?…….. oh.

MadBillMcMad

I knew i shouldn’t have asked.

To date we have pretty well decided to give it a go. If the atmosphere is bad we can always head back to the airport and buy new tickets home.

Following the official line the airline is not obligated to reroute our tickets but perhaps they might under the circumstances.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ways to be safe .. avoid main tourist spots including restaurants and big groups, go to main sites very early (although I think the German tour at the monument was bombed at 9am).

Its the sad reality that Egyptian Tourism is down nearly 50% accross the board, I can’t imagine Tunisia is much different. Turkey will take a long time to recover imo and their security situation is only getting worse.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP look at moving to a resort somewhere, most are easier to keep secure than a city like Istanbull ? The Club Med’s at Palmyie and Kemer (no kids club but you need to follow dress code to fit in / make the most of it) are both great but maybe not what you are bookingbp for will need flights to/from Antalya though. Neilson beech resorts ? I am sure you’ll get good prices.

jonba
    Free Member

Check your insurance but normally if the FO says it is ok then it is valid.

I’d probably go but it depends on how comfortable you are. If it is going to be stressful then maybe not much point.

mudmonster
    Free Member

It’s ok, they are only massacring Kurds and razing their cities while silencing any opposition. Westerners should be fine.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Just got back from working in Turkey, not Istanbul but still a major western Turkey city (Izmir). Never felt any threat, apart from pushy shop owners when in market! There are risks everywhere, would you now not go to France? I would have no worries about going there now again, and will be again soon. As always be aware but don’t be scared.

Pigface
    Free Member

Its meant to be an amazing place, keep your wits about you and you will be fine. See tanks and mobs with pitchforks and burning torches go in other direction.

Joe

I’m in Istanbul. All is back to normal; enjoy your time. It might not stay like this for too long in the future. I would definitely go for it.

tomd
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go unless it was essential, it’s just too dynamic a situation to call. There’s also the risk that on top of all this some of Turkey’s other internal and nearby problems will flare up as other try and take advantage.

One of my colleagues spends a fair bit of his life working there, has done for many years. He’s just cancelled his planned business trip while it cools down.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Guys its not the coup that’s the issue its IS Suicide bombers who have targetted tourists as well as Tiekish police and military

I’m in Istanbul. All is back to normal; enjoy your time. It might not stay like this for too long in the future. I would definitely go for it.

Isn’t that the point, we don’t know when in the future the next attack will come – it could be very soon.

Drac

The Foriegn Office is advising travelling is Ok.

Isn’t that the point, we don’t know when in the future the next attack will come – it could be very soon.

It could be months and could be anywhere.

rs
    Free Member

The Foriegn Office is advising travelling is Ok.

Is that BoJo’s own personal assessment?

wwaswas

“I’ve been watching Fawlty Towers repeats, nothing wrong with Torquay that I can see! Of course they can all still go there! Harumph!”

Drac

I doubt it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Drac but the point is its far more likely to come in Turkey / Istanbull than Cornwall or in the OPs home town.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Guys its not the coup that’s the issue its IS Suicide bombers who have targetted tourists as well as Tiekish police and military

So would you avoid France then?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Istanbul, are we crazy’ is closed to new replies.