• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ist UK FAT BIKE Gathering, Northumberland
  • coastkid
    Free Member

Clashed dates with SSUK meant a few couldnt make it but we had a fab weekend, sun was out between the very heavy rain too when we were on the beach both days too 🙂

Jasons film captures the vibe of the weekend…

We feel the need…The need for MEAD :mrgreen:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4-xCEvGZXk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Loads more pics over Here…

See you next year in Yorkshire 🙂

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Great pictures. Looks like a good weekend.

rOcKeTdOg

looks very flat and there’s not much cake, but i reckon it’d be doable for me

that trailer tent is massively impressive!

as is this!

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

That looks exceptionally ‘midlife’ 😉
    I just don’t get it. I suppose you had to be there.
    Riding bikes is fun though, I’ll give you that. 😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

Northumberland has the best beaches – FACT.

carbon337
    Free Member

Great pics – not sure the point myself but each to their own.

Im a bit biased living here but i think its fair to say Northumberland has the UK’s best beaches.

Im just back from walking my dog on Druridge Bay beach 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member
    Northumberland has the best beaches – FACT.

Right up there with Pembrokeshire and a certain beach in South Devon, IMO. I agree.

You chaps need some stickers, “More mead, less speed” 😉

Houns

Damp compacted sand? I could ride that with skinny cx tyres

Woody
    Free Member

LOL @ those who think there has to be a point 😆

That looked to be a very happy chilled outing. I almost came up (good excuse to take dogs to the beach but they aren’t good travellers) as I’ve never seen a proper fatty in the flesh.

RD,s has posted has got me thinking………..

<makes note to measure up Maverick as I didn’t think DUC32’s had enough clearance> 💡

soulrider
    Free Member

Beaches – North West Scotland is in with a shout for the best beaches

motorman
    Free Member

Riding bikes & having a laugh with friends….what is there not to understand, is that not what it is all about? 8)

coastkid
    Free Member

Faraid Head in Sutherland gets my vote for best beach,
    Devoid of folk too early June, light near all night…

2011 Roadtrip by coastkid71, on Flickr

2011 Roadtrip by coastkid71, on Flickr

The UKs tallest dunes, descents of over a minute to beach on 2 on the middle dunes, great for a walk or cycle, no be much fun on skinny cx tyres though 😀 if you dont get this you need to take up golf or gardening or something… 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNTO8iWDuoM[/video]

West coast of Harris not to bad too… 🙂

hols good cannon 169 by coastkid71, on Flickr

hols good cannon 177 by coastkid71, on Flickr

46 miles of great coastline here in East Lothian on the doorstep of Edinburgh too…

AlexSimon

Some very nice shots in that video. Love the bit where you’re all riding along on the shiny wet sand at 3:00 mins in.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

If you don’t get it now you will when you’re over 34 (the youngest rider there this weekend)

Normal mtb’ing you ride up hill’s at your own pace puffing and panting with an occasional chat with a fellow rider, then blast downhill having fun on your own for a few minutes then repeat.

Beach riding not like that, if you’re with others there is no bike snobbery (all fat bikes are equal) and you don’t feel the need for speed, you bimble around, having a laugh, riding sand dunes and into the sea.

Playing tick on bikes is a blast, just watch out for Andy next year as he’s “on”

Role on next summers 2nd “Gathering”

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Anyone get taken away on a stretcher? eh Johnclimber? 😆

postierich
    Free Member

Special bikes for special people 😀

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

those sutherland dunes look great fun – i know they’d be fine for descending or flat, but how are they for climbing? do they get enough traction on duney sand?

Drac

Looks like you had fun and yeah we’re very lucky with our beaches, must be awful having people on your beaches in June. 😀

I was working this weekend or I was going to pop to laugh at admire your bikes.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I think we should have a Uk Fat bloke meet, just for fat blokes like me but on normal bikes

Drac

I think we should have a Uk Fat bloke meet, just for fat blokes like me but on normal bikes

Weightist.

Woody
    Free Member

Drac – IIRC last time out (yes it was a while ago) us ‘bigger boned’ lads were needed as a windbreaker to stop you being blown away 😉

UK Fat bloke meet should have a good turnout in the NE 😀

GW
    Free Member

JohnClimber – Member
    If you don’t get it now you will when you’re over 34 (the youngest rider there this weekend)

Normal mtb’ing you ride up hill’s at your own pace puffing and panting with an occasional chat with a fellow rider, then blast downhill having fun on your own for a few minutes then repeat.

Beach riding not like thatWow!! that’s a scarily narrowminded view of mtbing you have there john. 😯

I take it you’ve never gone on a family ride, just ridden for fun with no purpose or destination, gone to a skate park, raced 4up DH down an alpine DH track against your mates, pushed your bike up hills with friends all day long, ridden mediocre trails at a pace where there’s far more chatting than riding with no other goal than to spend time out with mates or maybe go for a pint at the end, ridden long trains through a nice set of Dirtjumps?

I do love beaches tho (grew up in a house on the edge of a cliff overlooking some amazing coastline) so I do “get” beach riding, it’s just nowhere near as much of a buzz for me as even roadriding is. I’m considerably older than 34 tho so maybe that’s why 😉 .

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ist UK FAT BIKE Gathering, Northumberland’ is closed to new replies.