Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Issues with aching feet whilst riding.
  • simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Has anyone had problems with aching feet (on the outer part of the main body of the foot) whilst out pedalling? If so have you managed to remedy it and how?

I have cycled for a fair while now and it’s only recently become an issue that is properly bothering me. Not only does it ache but its causing my outer three toes to go numb too.

If it matters I use crank brothers candy pedals and Shimano AM spds and it’s not always been an issue with these in case someone is thinking its due to a change of equipment.

Bit strange I know but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Simon

wwaswas

I used to get it on my road bike. I found that waggling my toes helped a lot. I think I was ‘clenching’ my goes when riding.

martymac

how tight are your shoes, i find if i overtighten my shoes even a little i get numb/sore feet.
    i also get them on a long slow ride if im not pedalling that hard, wierdly.
    shimano spd shoes/pedals here.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Ta Was, il try that.

Marty, Iv tried under tightening them and it doesn’t make a difference.

mtbfix

Pressure from the cleat as the soles have worn and softened over time? Can you feel a hot spot when you are riding?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If its just along the outside edge it might be because of varus in your feet, a cleat/in-shoe wedge may help.

marsdenman
    Free Member

I used to get an ache across the front of my foot, for want of a better description, on the underside, just behind the line of the axle through the pedal.

Having faffed with tthe tightness of the velcro straps and thicker / thinner socks I finally fitted Superfeet (the black ones. Seemingly silly money for an insole but I had previous with them – the green ones, fitted to my walking boots).

Problem went away 🙂

BlobOnAStick

I had problems like this, and still do when I use a certain pair of shoes.

These helped tame thepain, but I had to change my shoes to get pain-free: http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=54420

neninja
    Free Member

I had this and fitted the green Superfeet in my Shimano AM40’s and it totally cured it.

You probably wouldn’t fit the green ones in an spd shoe.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Mtb fix, it’s down the outer edges as though the shoe is too tight. I do have wide feet but the AM shoes seem pretty wide. And the shoes haven’t seen masses of use so I don’t think they will of softened too much.

Thanks everyone. I might have to try some insoles. Or maybe a shimano DX with a bigger cage to support the outer of the shoe more.

I do have an appointment to see a podiatrist as I have been having issues with my calfs/knees from running so it may well be that I end up with some anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wide feet, narrow shoes.

At least, not wide in the right places. I’ve had this since I was a kid only then it was football boots. Football in school was agony until I found a pair that fitted!

Lots of cycling shoes are narrow for some reason, get some wider ones. Northwave apparently are wide, but I get on really well with Shimano even though when you remove the insole and look they seem to be rather narrow.

rhayter

I have to agree with molgrips. I used to get the classic “hot foot” pain in my feet, riding in shoes that I thought were “my size”. All pain disappeared when I bought shoes that were 2 sizes bigger than my regular street shoes or running shoes (plus, my feet have got bigger through adulthood). Sidi offer a wide fitting in some models of their shoes; I have a pair of Dominators that are proper comfy, despite my wide flippers feet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Either naturally wide feet or weak arches that cause the foot to spread under load. Wider shoes or a good podiatrist (although supersedes are good for an off the shelf answer). Once you’ve tried that, you may need some wedges to sort out alignment issue although core strengthening exercises also help with alignment issues.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Issues with aching feet whilst riding.’ is closed to new replies.