Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Issue with Reba 2007/2008 – any help appreciated
  • dglsdms
    Free Member

New to MTB and just bought a 2nd hand hardtail off someone with Reba dual air forks. It’s been totally fine the past couple of weeks then I got it out the car at the start of the ride today and the forks are bottoming out/locked out after about 2cm. I’ve been riding it fine, without issue, but got on it today and it made that horrifying *clunk* so had to stick it back in the car and go home.
    Posts on here suggest it might be a problem with the seals in the right leg, so oil is going where it shouldn’t be, but has anyone experienced it who can advise? I’m happy to replace the seals myself, as I don’t have the money to send it off for a proper service, but I’m just unsure what kit I need. Assuming it’s just the right leg, something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001PT9TV6 I think

If anyone can help at all it’d be massively appreciated. Bike itself is in decent nick, I just don’t think he’d ridden it for ages so it may have just been sat and then something’s finally gone with me riding it.

Cheers

dukeduvet

I dont have loads of experience with what you describe but have had a few Rebas along the way.

TFTuned have this if that helps narrow your search down. Looks same as one in your link but a bit more expensive. However perhaps buying from TF they will give you some advice too on the problem. But if it is the moco damper maybe worth just getting a whole new unit as can be had fairly cheap.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along with some advice soon.

sv

I’d pull the lowers and see if the damper oil has passed the seals into the lowers. Used to be seal kits on ebay that worked fine. Its all pretty simple and there are RS service guides to help.

amedias
    Free Member

I’d pull the lowers and see if the damper oil has passed the seals into the lowers.

^ I’d put (a small amount) money on it being that…

Not unusual on an older fork that’s been sitting, seal gets sticky and adheres to the shaft, and then when put back into action micro-tears/rubs and shortly after pisses oil into the lower.

Very easy to check by dropping the lowers though, if you’re not immediately covered in oil from that leg then you’re still in a good position to diagnose further by confirming which leg is the issue, and then investigating further from there.

Good news is if it’s that seal it’s a dead simple fix, replace that seal. Even better news is that that seal on it’s own costs about 50p. Bad news is I can’t remember the exact dimensions, but the full seal kits should be relatively cheap though and you might as well do the others while you’re at it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Issue with Reba 2007/2008 – any help appreciated’ is closed to new replies.