Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • issue 54 great divide
  • rOcKeTdOg

Just got around to reading issue 54, love the great divide story 2495 miles! Wow very inspirational, more articals like this please ST!

qwerty
    Free Member

i can't get my head round her mindset for riding off road, SS, with luggage for such a distance, a strong lady

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I though it was one of the best STW articles in ages, maybe ever.
    Why? Because it's not just a list – "We rode to A then B, then X happened on the way to C" etc

rOcKeTdOg

Indeed, I wish I had a fraction of that determination

MrSparkle

Jenn is ace. Fact.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Agree. Not only a great tale but she can really write. Brilliant, I've read it a couple of times – is there more of it for the super members or whatever it may just persuade me to join.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Great article but I'm pretty sure it was a rewrite of a WMB article done last year…

I suppose it's a heck of a challenge so might as well get some writing mileage out it I guess, so fair play!

I'm finding the thought of my first 24 solo quite daunting but reading that kind of belittles it somewhat – although not as much as the Alaska race in the December issue! Argh!

speaker2animals

I concur, an absolute ace piece of writing and a great story. My admiration for Jenn is hard to express. But then so is my admiration for one of my friends dads. He's 74 and rode around the coast of the UK last summer. 4500 in 3.5 months. Fully laden (and when Jack goes fully laden he goes fully laden!). I'm very envious as I know that I just have not got it in me to ride this sort of thing.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Agree. Not only a great tale but she can really write.

Yes that's it totally. There's lots of articles in STW written by rides who can tell a story, but no more than that, and there's alot of forgettable, avarage articles. Jenn brings that to life, draws you in.

In a similar vein there's a guy who intermittently writes for the motorcycle mag 'Bike' called Dan Walsh, and he's just brilliant. He doesn't just tell a story in a mundane, boring way. You feel drawn in and involved in the same way, and he's got real style in the words he uses. Every time he disappears for a few months, they get loads of people asking when he's going to write more……

nickc

Great article best of the year I thought

wwaswas

I thought it was far better than the WhatMtb article – seemed to fit in with the Sstw 'ethos' more as well in terms of style etc as well.

I felt the fact that Jenn cycled to San Fransisco from the mexican border
    after she finished says a lot too.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

MrSparkle – Member
    Jenn is ace. Fact.

rOcKeTdOg

I'd just settle for a cyclists tan that lasted a year to be honest, riding 20 odd local miles won't seen so epic now though (and I probably won't need bear spray)

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep major respect – that article – combined with simon kennetts have had a similar effect to ed oxleys account of strathpuffer 24 solo*

1 day i will do TD race or fast touring i dont care its a route of attrition even at its lowest level !

Very inspiring stuff

– i said one day i will solo the puffer when the article came out – 12-18 months ago was it ? im in for it next week.

Bunnyhop

The article is one of the best and I hope to vote for it in the ST mag pole this year.
    Jenn is a fantastic ambassador for mtbing.
    I've been lucky enough to ride with her ( well she was miles in front) and she's a top lass.

gary

I thought it was a stand out article too and seemed to be much more of a story of a journey than the WhatMtb one I thought. Had me making immediate plans to get more riding done, which is what I always hope the mag will do and rarely does.

And the whole issue I thought was one of the best in a long while.

racefaceec90

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. 🙂

stever
    Free Member

Good stuff. I liked the self awareness of the essential selfishness of something needing that much focus. A much better second draft than the WMB piece. Although I suspect you never really tell the definitive story of something like that. It goes into your bones, a place beyond words.

Andituk
    Free Member

Wonderful article.

What struck me was that it contained so little information, but told so much. Too many writers focus on the facts, but this was much more about what its really like to do that kind of thing.

Well done Jenn, and well done ST for letting her write it!

Ewan
    Free Member

Excellent article. I had a nagging feeling i'd read it somewhere before tho – glad to hear i'm not going mad!

bigsi
    Free Member

Jenn used to work in my LBS and was so helpful to me when i was starting out in mountain biking. She is such a nice indiviudal who really knows her stuff and always seems to have a smile on her face. I really enjoyed reading her article as i followed her blog/updates when she was doing the race.

A real achievement.

vdubber67
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Totally agree. Inspirational. I'd love to be able to ride and write as well as that!

fozzyuk

Yeah, great article, the sort of one that makes me really enjoy stw !!

miketually
    Free Member

Agreed. A fantastic article.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I thought it was an excellent issue all round. The iditarod article was great as well, truly mental mind 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I read Jenn's article in wmb first and thought that was great. I was expecting the stw one to be essentially the same but am glad to say that it was also great but different and each suited the mags they were in. Jenn did a brilliant job first in doing the event but then also in writing TWO excellent, individual articles on it.

Definitely should be up for article of the year.

pebble
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me the issue of WMB the article was in as I can't seem to find it or have a copy available?

bullheart
    Free Member

Both hers and Shaggy's Iditarod articles were very very cool.

However, the 'What was the best press/kit/company junket we went on for free this year' article was the same as last years with updated kit. Dull, disappointing and just a space-filler. FAIL.

chrispalmr
    Free Member

Totally agree, especially with petesgaff; the GDR and Iditarod articles were superb (especially Jenn's GDR), the usual columns/articles were the usual (some good – take a bow Mr Ferrentino, some more 'blokes in pub talking toss about bikes' – I can get my mates to talk cr*p for free you know…) and then there's the dross ("Juncket News! – Places PR Flacks Have Taken Us to Convince Us to Write Nice Things About Their Kit! And All The Free Gear They Tried To Buy Us With! Oh, Its All A Laugh!").

I think ST have managed to tap into my mind – just when I'm at the point of cancelling my subs (having been a subscriber since issue 7) they produce 54 with two superb articles, and I decide not to… until next time.

Blackhound

Really enjoyed the GDR article, I hope to do it next year, as a tour rather than the race, but it makes you think about the preparation required.

Doubt there will be a better written article this year.

chipps

Doubt there will be a better written article this year.

Well there's our challenge for the year sorted then… 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘issue 54 great divide’ is closed to new replies.