Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Issue 52 – Interview: Mark Weir – Progressive Knob Guy?
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

To quote:

"I'm a progressive nob guy but progressive knob designs are not for all users. I know tons of people that like the feel of the Kenda Nevegal – more linear. That tyre is grip/slip."

"A progressive tyre is one with a float zone before you reach the edge. These tyres don't hold your hand when getting to the edge. It is an investment to find the edge of a progressive knob tyre, they slip to grip. When you get it you won't wanna stop getting it."

Can anyone shed any light on this? Does it mean that certain tyres/tread patterns slide? I understand (I think) that Nevegals provide grip but under hard cornering for example will eventually lose grip and slide/slip out. But don't all tyres do that??

What current tyres have progressive tread patterns?

Help!

jimthesaint

Mark just likes his knobs to push harder after sliding into the brown stuff.

jimthesaint

A serious answer would be a High Roller and WTB Weirwolf (named after the man himself). These tyres have a significant gap between the centre tread and the aggressive side tread, therefore they can be easily drifted but you have a lot of grip on the side of the tyre when you want to end the drift. Or words to that effect.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cheers jim

So generally fast rolling, not a great deal of grip as the tyre is upright due to lower center tread and pattern, aggresive side knobs for grip when the tyre banks into corners.

Therefore it slides then catches/digs in/grips.

Hmmm, interesting.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Issue 52 – Interview: Mark Weir – Progressive Knob Guy?’ is closed to new replies.