Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Issue 51 ti frame review
  • brant
    Free Member

Slacker head angles actually increase bushing binding.

pritcsa
    Free Member

FWIW. In the metal the routing works and looks far better thank i expected, was one of my major doubts and am really pleased with it. Angles are different enough to be worthwhile in my opinion, 2 degrees and a slightly lower bottom bracket is not minimal, don't think trail centres would be the most fun tho.
    For a bit of balance though that headtube is long. I don't like my bars massively low but am running a 70mm 0 rise thomson, Easton Low risers and even then i'm going to either end up with no spacers or 5mm. Great for me as it looks really good but if you like low bars just check first.

the_lecht_rocks

mmmmm……

ragley ti in no good for trail centre scandal 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the_lecht_rocks

pritcsa – are you suggesting it's only a 2 hour bomber bike ?

quick thrash round the woods and steeps then hometime ?

brant
    Free Member

lol@tlr.

you're trying sooooo hard 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

sorry 😳

talked myself out of it…..

chakaping
    Free Member

If they had reviewed the ti456 alongside the Ragley then people would be saying (rightly) that Brant was getting too much love from his pals at ST.

But I see Clink's point that a few words in passing on the comparison might have been interesting.

I suppose the mag might be aimed more at general readers than obsessives like TLR though.

brant
    Free Member

I suppose the mag might be aimed more at general readers than obsessives like TLR though.

TLR is in denial.

pritcsa
    Free Member

No, i think i'm saying it's an all day technical riding bike. Light as can be and great at steep climbs and steep downs and jumps. It'll be ok at trail centres but you'd be kidding yourself if you think you need something like this anywhere outside of the black sections, the vast majority of trail centres would be just as much fun on my scandal with 100-120mm forks. Depends what you ride.

higgo
    Free Member

Disclaimer: I've only skim read the article sat on the library this morning.

But… I found each of the reviews sort of under-whelming. They seemed neutral to the point of being flat. I'm not keen on reviews full of hyperbole either but these just seemed a bit too far the other way. Interesting conclusion that the best all-rounder was the Whyte but you might as well buy the Alu one.

I'll read it properly tonight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

but you'd be kidding yourself if you think you need something like this anywhere outside of the black sections

Doesn't stop sales of huge numbers of "skilz compensatorz" OMG111

higgo
    Free Member

(double post)

hugorune

Can you stop the pissing comp and get back on topic. Some people obviously aren't as skillfull as you two. Have you done the red at Glentress on your 100mm travel Scandal? It's definately more fun on a "skill compensator".

So the geometry on the ragley is somewhere between the 456 and the 456 summer season?

the_lecht_rocks

sort of in denial but not really.

my Hummer broke and so did my heart at the time.

the Ti456 took it's place and is more adaptable and more suited to the Van32's.

it's a proper nutter tool with awesome singletrack handling.

obsessive, me……..yes……that's why the cable routing and semi-finished finish don't appeal to me, although the slacker HA does. i wish it had ISCG as that may have swung it for me….although the routing…….

cynic-al
    Free Member

My last time at GT was on a Nomad – 6.5" essential on the red 😀

pritcsa
    Free Member

Sorry man, no p**sing comp. Am not a particularly good rider just think trail centres are mostly pants. If people want full sussers for trail centres that's fine, they make everything more comfortable. But not sure that a slacker head angle on a hardtail gives any advantage at all in that environment, you're still getting bumped around just with unneeded slower steering

Ben_Haworth

Slacker head angle means you can ride over the front more (without inducing a too steep head angle) and get less bashed about by the hardtail rear end.

hugorune

Sorry – too much coffee! Thought we were about to head down the "I ride the Fort william DH track on my rigid singlespped 29er and it's easy" route again.

I love hardtails but a 6" travel full suss is fun.

So, Ragley Ti or 456 for general mountain biking?

the_lecht_rocks

i'll stick some 36's on mine to slacken the angles – will i void the warranty @ 160mm 😛

brant
    Free Member

So the geometry on the ragley is somewhere between the 456 and the 456 summer season?

The HEAD ANGLE on the Ragley is somewhere between those two.

The seat angle's steeper than both though. Chainstays shorter. Top tube different. BB Lower.

the_lecht_rocks

hugo – either – both brilliant 😀

brant
    Free Member

i'll stick some 36's on mine to slacken the angles – will i void the warranty @ 160mm

Podge might be along with feedback on warranty. However fitting a long fork to artificially give a slack headangle gives 2 problems.

1. Seat angle is kicked back (problem for seated climbing)
    2. top tube is "shortened" due to front end higher.
    3. BB raised.
    4. When the forks bottomed out, whatever length your fork, the head angle is the same.
    5. When you counter in the sag with a 160mm fork, you end up about the same as a 140 fork anyhow, unless you run 'em hard.

Ben_Haworth

Putting (too) long forks on a bike will raise the BB and may impare the handling significantly. I'd rather ride a 130mm forked bike with low BB than a 160mm forked bike with a high BB (full-sus or hardtail) 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

run em softer, increase sag and faster rebound.
    drop them to 130mm for climbing (TALAS)…

podge – warranty ?

the_lecht_rocks

or simply keep what i've got as it's brilliant (fast show style)…….

Ben_Haworth

i think that's your best bet 🙂

gamo
    Free Member

Tlr i didnt like the 36's on mine much better with the 32 vans!

the_lecht_rocks

gamo – agreed – went out tonight for a quick thrash on the 5.1D's and Big Betty's ………… 😈 😈 😈

brilliant !

hugorune

Only a 9! You're slipping Richards.

compositepro
    Free Member

what did the whyte get

jfeb
    Free Member

Looks like a 9 from the image on Brant's site (although hard to tell)

bonesetter
    Free Member

Seems like it's not a bike produced with across the spectrum ride appeal in mind (which would mean a mediocre). Good work (& somewhat brave too)!

Now if only it was available in the big wheels I'd be clamoring for it myself

BigDummy
    Free Member

The bike looks brilliant in that MBUK picture. 😀 It's interesting just how different it looks compared to my RC305. A hugely different setof ideas about design going on there.

brant
    Free Member

Now if only it was available in the big wheels I'd be clamoring for it myself

I'm working on a big wheel version – just tried that one with a 29er front wheel but hated it. More to do.

momentum
    Free Member

Are you thinking of a big wheel version in all three materials? Because that would be very cool…

racefaceec90

i do like the ti 456 frame,and have thought about p/xing my frame towards one.but as it is mail order to get an on one,i cannot do that!!!

the_lecht_rocks

mmmmmmmm……..read the review.

my consensus (for my local riding) is the Ti456 is better than my Hummer , and the Hummer is better than the Ragley from what's specific to me in the review…..

stops me wondering anyway 😀

brant
    Free Member

TLR – it's a new hummer btw. And the Ragley appears to be the best at going uphill, and going downhill. And equal anything else on singletrack. It's odd.

the_lecht_rocks

2009 hummer has same geom as my 2006 one……….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Issue 51 ti frame review’ is closed to new replies.