Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Israel shooting palestinians trying to clamber over the Israel/Syria border
  • dmjb4
    Free Member

OK cool, I’m just used to the more insightful and direct arguments that I have with my children. You forget you are at STW level here sometimes!

Now, back on track. The middle east is a divided mess. It’s easy to make one-sided arguments like many of those above without putting the trouble in context.

The Israeli people have the right to live in peace. If a declared enemy threw rocks at your Police force, blew themselves up in your markets and fired rockets at your town, you would expect your Government to take action to prevent this from happening. In Israel, they do. End of.

El-bent
    Free Member

The Israeli people have the right to live in peace. If a declared enemy threw rocks at your Police force, blew themselves up in your markets and fired rockets at your town, you would expect your Government to take action to prevent this from happening. In Israel, they do. End of.

Perhaps then they should cease nicking more land from the Palestinian territories. That sort of thing does tend to make people cross.

OK cool, I’m just used to the more insightful and direct arguments that I have with my children. You forget you are at STW level here sometimes!

Are you in the pram with your kids? Are your toys now spread all around on the floor of said pram?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The Israeli people have the right to live in peace. If a declared enemy threw rocks at your Police force, blew themselves up in your markets and fired rockets at your town, you would expect your Government to take action to prevent this from happening. In Israel, they do. End of

I would not expect my Govt. to shoot at children throwing rocks

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

OK cool, I’m just used to the more insightful and direct arguments that I have with my children.

Well I dare say you might get away with nonsense such as “Israel’s neighbours routinely stone women to death for adultery” when you’re talking to your kids (how old are they?). But grown ups on here realise that it’s just a load of irrelevant bollox ……..the Palestinians do not routinely stone women to death in Gaza, the West Bank, or anywhere else. .

The country most renowned for that is Saudi Arabia. Which happens to be the most pro-Israeli and anti-Palestinian country in the region. It also happens to be best buddies with the United States.

Of course I suspect that your kids don’t know any of that, so I recommend that you continue your polemics with them ……. you’ll find it easier on your intellect 💡

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junkyard – I know your post above wasn’t referring to me, but your comments apply equally to most of the posters on here.

thank you for the belly laugh 😆

‘m just used to the more insightful and direct arguments that I have with my children.

do you often ask them, when they say Dad,if they are talking to you?

Now, back on track. The middle east is a divided mess. It’s easy to make one-sided arguments like many of those above without putting the trouble in context.

You are the master of this yet call others for this.

The Israeli people have the right to live in peace.

As do their neighbours especially the ones in occupied terrotories…they have no moral high ground to claim here. Settling occupied land is a direct violation of International law. The anniversary is of the six day war when israel launched surprise attacks/invasions on it neighbours and it still holds some of the land it occupied as a result of this military action. I dont think that is the best way of persuading the unfriendly natives that you are benign and no threat to them tbh. Refusing to discuss this as part of a peace treaty and continuing to settle is not helpful either. Having the Israel settlers have swimming pools whilst the Palestians have no sanitation does not help either.

If a declared enemy threw rocks at your Police force, blew themselves up in your markets and fired rockets at your town, you would expect your Government to take action to prevent this from happening. In Israel, they do. End of.

Is this another example of your balanced approach to summing up the problems?

They shoot children/youths throwing rocks at them … I would not expect my government to act like this. If I invaded a country and settled their land i would expect them to fight back.
    It is a complicated issue and neither side can wash it hands of all blame. However to suggest Israel is simply defending itself from evil neighbours is simplistic to the point of being untrue. Certainly the attitude of some of its neighbours needs to change as well but if you think occupying their land and shooting them will lead to this then you are ignoring the last 40 years of history there and history generally.
    Both sides need to change but I see no olive branch offered by Israel such as reverting to internationally recognised borders which even the President of the USA recognises as the start point for the peace route.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Nice move by the Syrian regime to deflect attention from their own problems closer to home

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So the Syrian government orders the Israelis to shoot unarmed civilians and the Israeli government complies ?

That’s crazy Nora – I never knew that………who told you ?

yossarian
    Free Member

Joe

So the Syrian government orders the Israelis to shoot unarmed civilians and the Israeli government complies ?

Anyone who’s ever spent any time in Syria (obviously not you Ernie, because you have the ring of an armchair critic) will know that you can’t just walk upto the border. The town of Quneitra is guarded by the police and can only be visited by arranging it in advance ( or paying some baksheesh), normal Syrian citizens can’t visit the border at all. For 400 people to wonder through must have involved some cooperation with the government. The area is also mined, so the government must have told the protestors where to walk.

Settling occupied land is a direct violation of International law

Blah blah international law. International law is a load of old cobblers, which just recognizes the status quo. All the land in the world has been appropriated by force at some point and by multiple parties. Is England’s “occupation” of Scotland illegal under international law?

Secondly as we are so keen on international law, was Syria not breaching international law in 1948, 1967 and 1973 when it tried to occupy Israel by invading its sovereign territory (as recognized by the above aforementioned international law) or have you forgotten about that little incident.

The international law arguments are as tiresomely boring as the idiots with the biblical claims.

Syria used the strategic advantage or the golan heights again and again to attack Israel, from constant small arms harassment of farmers on the kineret to a full blown invasion in 1967 (And again in 1973). So Israel smacked Assad’s bum and annexed it. Whatever. Fair is fair.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Ernie, to my cynical eye the Syrians got the reaction they were hoping for and the Isreali soldiers duly obliged. Though just watching it on the news the firing of live rounds was a bit OTT it seems.

El-bent
    Free Member

Blah blah international law. International law is a load of old cobblers, which just recognizes the status quo. All the land in the world has been appropriated by force at some point and by multiple parties. Is England’s “occupation” of Scotland illegal under international law?

That’s odd as I thought the 1707 act of union ratified by both the Scottish and English parliaments making it legal.

The point being and something you have “left out” that Israel is the still grabbing land from the Palestinian territories.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

For 400 people to wonder through must have involved some cooperation with the government.

Yes but you didn’t start this thread because 400 people wandered up to the border. You started this thread because the Israelis killed some Palestinians, that after all the the main issue behind this news story.

So if it’s all just a clever ploy by the Syrian government to turn the world’s attention away from their domestic problems – how the **** did they manage to get the Israelis to shoot unarmed civilians ? Had the Israelis not shot at unarmed civilians their cunning plan would have failed – are the Israelis trying to help the Syrian government ?

And how exactly do you think all this somehow helps the Syrian government ? They are trying to put down a rebellion – they couldn’t give a toss what you or I think. If the world’s eyes are turned towards Israel is the rebellion in Syria suddenly going to magically “disappear” ?

The Syrian government has far serious things to worry about than to dream up some convoluted plan concerning what headlines dominate tomorrow’s front page of the Telegraph. You need to think things through before coming out with any old nonsense to try to justify Israel’s acts of barbarism.

Blah blah international law. International law is a load of old cobblers

Spoken in the manner of a true despot.

Joe

The point being and something you have “left out” that Israel is the still grabbing land from the Palestinian territories.

This is to do with the golan heights and nothing to do with the Palestinian territories.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Blah blah international law. International law is a load of old cobblers, which just recognizes the status quo.

You a lawyer or a scholar hard to tell which?

All the land in the world has been appropriated by force at some point and by multiple parties. Is England’s “occupation” of Scotland illegal under international law?

they dont occupy it and it was a Union 😯

Secondly as we are so keen on international law, was Syria not breaching international law in 1973 when it tried to occupy Israel by invading its sovereign territory (as recognized by the above aforementioned international law) or have you forgotten about that little incident.

The war began when the coalition launched a joint surprise attack on Israel on Yom Kippur, the holiest day in Judaism, which coincided with the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Egyptian and Syrian forces crossed ceasefire lines to enter the Israeli-held Sinai Peninsula and Golan Heights respectively, which had been captured and occupied since the 1967 Six-Day War.

They invaded the Golan heights which was still their territory and today is still not recognised as israeli territory under said law.
    Do you think D – Day was wrong under International law?
    Do you have to put effort in to being this wrong or does it come naturally?
    ah naturally I see

This is to do with the golan heights and nothing to do with the Palestinian territories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_West_Bank_barrier
    if you keep typing you are bound to say something that is correct
    Good luck

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Joe I think you have now made it abundantly clear that this comment in your OP :

Joe – Member

Surely they must be the winners for this years darwin awards? They even managed to set off an anti tank mine while they were at their silly folly.

Has absolutely nothing to do with “darwin awards” or “silly folly”. You are without any doubt pro-Israeli and anti-Palestinian, so whatever action the Palestinian people took to protest against Israeli actions, you would have opposed it. Your OP was a smoke screen…….I’m glad we’ve cleared that up 8)

El-bent
    Free Member

Of course not. Accuse other countries surrounding Israel of “land grabbing” by all means but don’t turn a blind eye to the Israelis doing the same.

epicyclo

Joe – Member
    …All the land in the world has been appropriated by force at some point and by multiple parties. Is England’s “occupation” of Scotland illegal under international law?..

Not only did England not occupy Scotland, but it was a Scottish king who took over the English crown and ruled England.

We did not accept that the Germans had a right to occupy France and a few other European countries, so why should we accept that Israel has a right to occupy Palestinian land?

chewkw
    Free Member

Save the world nuke each other out. Problem solved. 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

This isn’t a metaphor for gardens, is it?

yunki
    Free Member

We did not accept that the Germans had a right to occupy France and a few other European countries, so why should we accept that Israel has a right to occupy Palestinian land?

this absolutely sums it up for me…
    I often wish that some of the warmongering nazi types would just try and imagine themselves in this situation before spouting off about how Palestine and other places such as Afganistan deserve everything they get..

I’m a staunch pascifist but if I had an occupying force in my backyard I’m pretty sure that even I would have to consider taking up arms when the shit hit the fan..

yossarian
    Free Member

Hooray for us and hooray for democracy

DrJ

LOL @ konabunny

5thElefant
    Free Member

Is England’s “occupation” of Scotland illegal under international law

It wasn’t occupied. Scotland went broke and there was a merger where England took on their debts.

So, yes, perfectly legal. Lucky Scotland had some oil. It would have been a crap deal otherwise.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Israel shooting palestinians trying to clamber over the Israel/Syria border’ is closed to new replies.