Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Isopropyl alcohol
  • thejesmonddingo

Is it any good as a disc cleaner?,only I've run out of cleaner,and I've got a can of the above.
    Ian

righty
    Free Member

yes

sweepy
    Free Member

oh yes

crikey
    Free Member

Why do people use special stuff to clean discs?

Washing up liquid when cleaning the rest of the bike is perfectly good; it works on plates, and you eat off them..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But plates dont need to be completely grease free.

Personaly I go for the 'dont clean them' option, just wash arround them and leave well alone.

Cougar

Last I checked, dinner plates aren't known for their stopping power.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Yes, very good, but… don't clean them unless there's contaminates/oil on them, the rotors have deposits of pad material on them through use, this helps the brake bite the rotor. clean rotors aren't great at stopping.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Until you brake a couple of times….

HTTP404
    Free Member

Nail varnish remover (acetone) should be very good at removing grease. but keep it away from paint and the calipers.

househusband

Get some car brake cleaner spray from your local motor factor – about a fiver.

Xylene
    Free Member

Get some car brake cleaner spray from your local motor factor – about a fiver.

1.80 at europarts

Northwind

No doubt someone will be along in a second to tell us that car brake cleaner has oil in it. Hopefully just for once they'll have an example of one this is actually true for :mrgreen:

Xylene
    Free Member

No doubt someone will be along in a second to tell us that car brake cleaner has oil in it. Hopefully just for once they'll have an example of one this is actually true for

Allegedly some car brake cleaner has oil in it. 😛

The only time I've seen evidence of this was after I sprayed most of a can over an old rust bucket of a bike to get the encrusted crap off the mechs etc.

After it evaporated there was a massive oily patch just in front of the front door, although I suspect it was just the solvated crap left behind after the cleaner evaporated.

note: do any spraying away from the hawk like eye of the other half.

grumm
    Free Member

I've used Muc Off motorbike disc brake cleaner on my bike – seems exactly the same as the mtb stuff but a quid or two cheaper.

Conor
    Free Member

I never clean a disc rotor unless I've been working on the bike and there is a risk of contamination. the more pad material that gets deposited on the surface the better!

Travis

Dinner plates stop very well when thrown against a wall.
    So does an MTBer hitting a tree 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Aaah, but are they wearing a helmet?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Isopropyl alcohol’ is closed to new replies.