• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by csb.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • ISOFIX and car hire
  • zokes
    Free Member

We’re planning a visit back to the UK with our baby in tow for a couple of months. As car hire from airports, and hire of car seats are both more expensive than they need to be, my parents have kindly said they’ll buy a car seat (0-4 yrs so we can use it next time we visit), fit it in their car, and pick us up from the airport. They’ll then happily drive me to pick up a hire car from somewhere a little cheaper, where we’ll then fit said car seat. I have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know anywhere in the Bolton / Manchester area that is good for hiring cars for about 2 months?

2) Any recommendations on 0-4yrs child seats? If we get an ISOFIX one, will it likely fit (a) my parents’ 2004 Citroen Picasso, and (b) any newish hire car (likely a Mondeo or equivalent)

enfht
    Free Member

If the car has ISOFIX then any ISOFIX seat will fit.

zokes
    Free Member

That’s the point… how would I know re: a hire car? Is there a certain age after which all cars were fitted with it?

Sorry, they don’t do the ISOFIX thing here in Oz, so only ever heard about it from UK folk.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Should find that anything made after 2007 has Isofix.

PePPeR

My 2003 Kia has is fix. 200y it became mandatory for all new vehicles.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, anything after 2007 will have ISOFIX. Especially anything German.

Worth checking though – a lot of the ISOFIX systems are bases which click into the ISOFIX anchors, into which you then click the baby seat.

FWIW, we had the MaxiCosi Pebble which has the ISOFIX base in our German car, but occasionally, I have to pick up dd in the van which doesn’t have ISOFIX in the front seat. The seat belt fastening system is quite simple to use really, but in no way as easy as the ISOFIX click in system.

bruk

We bought a car from these guys last year Garage in Colne

Noticed they did car hire too though it isn’t on website.

Good to deal with and I got a great deal on winter wheels with my car too.

PePPeR

Oops my post was from my phone and was supposed to say from 2006 it became manadatory!

monkeyboyjc

Just ask the hire company if it has ISOFIX points – and if you are ok to use your own ISOFIX seat.

zokes
    Free Member

Just ask the hire company if it has ISOFIX points – and if you are ok to use your own ISOFIX seat.

If it has isofix points, why wouldn’t I be allowed to use my own seat?

gogg
    Free Member

Thye’ll obviously say no if you ask and insist that only their own car seats are compatible as Car Hire companies are on a par with estate agents when it comes to honesty and transparency.

zokes
    Free Member

Which is why I wasn’t planning on asking… One assumes only their satnavs at 10 quid a day are compatible with the car also?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If it’s only for a couple of months zokes, I’d probably just go with a seatbelt fastening jobbie. Also, I guess you’ll be needing a pushchair/buggy while you’re here? Buggy/car seat compatibility can be useful when they’re snoozing in the car seat and you don’t want to wake them up while moving them from the car seat to the buggy for shopping, walks etc.

loum
    Free Member

One thing that gives you an extra option is that you can legally travel in a taxi with the little one on your lap without the need for a car seat.
    So you could get taxi to folks, lift to car hire, drive to mothercare and get a seat fitted there and then that deffo fits. Bit more expense but takes out any risk of incompatibility as they are usually a non-returnable item.
    BTW, mothercare were ace with excellent knowledge and deals, and price match too, when we’ve bought car-seats.
    Even some seatbelt-fit car-seats don’t work in every make/model (think some fords have short seatbelts for example) so it’s worth very good research, or better to take the car when buying it IMO.

aracer
    Free Member

Depends whether you’re worried about being legal or being safe. As above, if there’s an issue with compatibility of isofix, why not just get a non-isofix seat as lots of us have, no particular issues with the safety of those if properly fitted (any theoretical advantage of isofix is more than outweighed by the disadvantage of travelling in a taxi with baby on your lap).

loum
    Free Member

As above, the problem being possible incompatibility of seatbelt fitted seats too, it’s not just an ISOFIX issue.
    In fact more of an issue ‘cos you don’t know which ones don’t work in which cars unless you do the research or take the car with you to have it properly fitted/checked first time out. One of the seatbelt fitted car sears we nearly bought wouldn’t fit with a ford c-max – can’t really get more “family” than that car, so the situations a bit more complicated than you ass ume.
    You’re not going to be safe if the seat bought can’t be used in the cars they need to. And, you won’t be legal. And you won’t be able to return it.

zokes
    Free Member

That’s not a bad idea loum, but it’s not the cost of a taxi that worries me, it’s the concept of miniZ being ‘safe’ on my lap whilst being driven by a taxi driver 😯 That said, my only experience of British taxis has been at silly o’clock after too many beers.

I swear you don’t even need a license to drive a taxi over here though! For this reason, one of our mates will drive us to the airport in Oz in our car. I have actually offered to drive for one taxi driver here before, and made another take me back to the airport for another driver who knew the difference between the brake and accelerator pedals!

I’ve despatched my parents to Argos for a Mamas & Papas seat and pushchair. I did muse about the ones that can attach to the chair, but it seemed like too much hassle to fathom out over the internet without being able to see the things and it was getting expensive. I know the seat we’ve opted for is belt fit – hopefully it will be OK. If not, we’ll know well before we land and my parents can go to mothercare and spend more of my money on one that does fit their car…. and hope it fits the hire car too!

shifter
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    If the car has ISOFIX then any ISOFIX seat will fit.

Absolutely true but some go in easier than others.

I sold two at work recently that had been kicking around for over six months, maybe a NW STWer has one to give/loan/sell cheap?

If you’re buying new I’d check the prices at Kiddicare. Like CRC for brats 😉

monkeyboyjc

why wouldn’t I be allowed to use my own seat?

Because some upholstery setups tend to distort from the IDOFIX bars being inserted. Its just safer to ask.

Also I havent heard of any incompatibility idsues with ISOFIX, ive had ours in over 8 cars (work, personal, hire and family) with no issues.

csb

Maxi cosi priorifix is good, try John Lewis with free delivery. Comes with guide sockets that save the upholstery. But how old is the child?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ISOFIX and car hire’ is closed to new replies.