Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • isle of Wright foot passenger with a push bike
    Free Member

If I want to ride round the isle of Wight one Sat or Sun what is the best way to get from Portsmouth either the ferry, Hovercraft of catamaran.

scaredypants

how fast you want to get there ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are you going to push your bike? Or, perhaps, you could ride it.

WTF is a “push bike” anyway?

Free Member

do not mind how long just the easiest way really.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Easiest = Cat. Just secure it to a railing and take a seat inside – or at least that is what i used to do 10 years ago when i lived in Pompey.

seosamh77
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

WTF is a “push bike” anyway?

andyl
    Free Member

I normally go from Southampton on Red Funnel when working there and know that you can take bikes on the car ferry but not on the cat unless it’s a folder or in a bag.

For the Wight Link ones I see that the ferry is fine and space limited on the cat but from memory of seeing the hovercraft come in when we’ve been walking along the promenade they use an airline style stair ramp so I would say no chance as it would be like taking your bike onto a plane

rocket
    Free Member

Fast cat from Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde. Walk on with your bike and put it in the bike racks at the back. 15 min journey. No bother whatsoever. Careful riding down ryde pier at the other end though – always think I’m going to lose a wheel in the gaps!

mattbee

Hovercraft won’t take bikes iirc.

garage-dweller

Correct on hover craft.

The cat does though (but possibly limited spaces so may not be the peak / busy b bday choice

scaredypants

You may take your bicycle on the hovercraft and they will be stored in the panniers on the outside of the craft. Due to space restrictions, we can only carry two bicycles on the craft per service. Bikes may not be booked on the craft; it is a first come first serve basis. There is no extra charge for

I’ve not done it, mind, so thay may be lying or out of date

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve put my bike in a pannier on the hovercraft, nervous time 🙂

was a while ago mind

hilldodger
    Free Member

Have seen bikes chucked (literally!!) into some sort of compartment on the hover, wouldn’t use it myself.
    The cat from Portsmouth nearly always has room unless there’s a sportive and even if you have to wait for the next one it’s quicker than the car ferry which seems to take an age to embark & has a journey time more than double the cat.

DrP

Hovercraft will take bikes.. Has space for about 3 in the cages in the side.
    They get bashed about and wet.
    Go on the cat…

DrP

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’ve been wanting to do this for a while, cheapest to do it as a foot passenger with a bike rather than car for a few days so can you let us know how you get on so I know I’d be okay doing the same?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Cat is really easy to use – I get train down, then it’s just a few hundred yards to the ferry ramp.
    If you have a railcard you can buy a combined ticket then you save 30% off the ferry price as well 😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

Actually I’ve just talked myself into a day trip this Saturday unless the weather turns.
    08:25 from Woking gets me to Ryde Pier by 10:02 – £28 return (with network card) 😀

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Cat is faster than the ferry, but it depends a bit on your planned route – Fishbourne is closer to my favourite route so the time spent on the ferry is saved by avoiding the tedious spin in from Ryde.

Swings and roundabouts really, so tend to just go with whichever timetable fits best.

czthompson

We use the ferry when we go, cheap and always space. It takes about an hour but it’s a quite nice way to enjoy the trip..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ok being an IOW resident I can confirm the following.

Lymington – Yarmouth route (car ferry). Walk on with bikes
    Southampton – Cowes Red Jet (passenger only catamaran). No bikes
    Southampton – E Cowes (car ferry). Walk on with bikes
    Portsmouth Gunwharf – Fishbourne (car ferry). Walk on with bikes
    Portsmouth – Ryde Pier (passenger only catamaran). Walk on with bikes
    Southsea – Ryde (passenger only hovercraft). V limited space for bikes. Not recommended.

I commuted from Ryde to Portsmouth daily for nearly 9 years on the catamaran and never had an issue.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘isle of Wright foot passenger with a push bike’ is closed to new replies.