Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Isle of Wight off road loop
  • malchales
    Free Member

Hi,

Am toying with the idea of an off road loop of the Isle of wight in the spring! I’ve been on the web and there`s not a lot of info, i have purchased an OS map but was wondering if anyone has done it on here before? Also what bike to use, xc hardtail or a cyclocross bike. Any info would be a great help.

Cheers.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Be prepared for lots of hills, I’d say a hartail would be fine, it’s many years since I’ve ridden off road on the iow but I remember varied trails and surfaces plus lots of ups and downs.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Can probably find a

bigyinn
    Free Member

Are you talking about following the coast around the island?
    Yes, I’ve done it in a day, worked out about 73 miles all in. I just rode the coastal path (technically a footpath). The only bit you cant really ride is the section between East Cowes and Wootton.
    Hardtail would be ok for it, although I rode my old Enduro FS at the time. It was quite a long day in the saddle.
    I rode it clockwise starting in Ryde, although if theres any wind you’re probably better going anti clockwise (assuming its from the SW).
    Avoid the bit from Seagrove bay to St Helens Duver and go inland slightly. Same applies from St Lawrence to Niton, go inland a bit.
    Nothing particularly technical, but the bit from Chale to Compton is pretty tedious, and its easier to go around the chines than down and up them.
    Yarmouth to Hampstead can be a little tricky to follow, but if you can read a map you’ll be ok. Its then dirt roads / road from there to past Porchfield. You’ll need to road it from East Cowes via Whippingham to Wootton bridge to Fishbourne hill then pick up the coastal path through quarr.

oldnpastit

There’s a bridleway runs along the top of the hills along the southern coast from Freshwater bay golf course for miles and miles. Gets surprisingly remote. Nothing super technical but nice nonetheless. Cyclocross bike might be a bit sketchy if it’s damp – chalk is a bit slithery.

I think there are some locals on here who would know more though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

That’ll the Tennyson trail, takes you all the way from Freshwater Bay to Newport. Mostly chalk / gravel. Usually pretty well drained, although it can get a bit wet going through Brighstone Forest.

jambalaya
    Free Member

StefMcDef lives on the IOW send him a PM. The IOW residents I know are all roadies.

If you wish drop me an email I may join you depending upon dates

superfli
    Free Member

Just dug up my old IOW offroad loop that I did on a BHF ride 2010.
    Converted it to strava route for you
    https://www.strava.com/routes/11448701

65miles. Tough day out 🙂

This route I put together years ago
    It has been ‘copied’ as the Chalk Ridge Extreme but trust me that’s the wrong direction!

pondy
    Free Member

I’ve done a few rides in iow, last i got my wife to drop me off the at needles carpark, ride to the top of the cliff, follow tjat along to the Tennyson monument, down into freshwater, get onto the Tennyson trail at the bottom of the golf course, through brighstone forest, follow to Newport, there is lay by overlooking carisbrooke castle, i have a bit of lunch here then ride back, nice route, some very remote with great views and lots of climbing

bigyinn
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

StefMcDef lives on the IOW send him a PM. The IOW residents I know are all roadies.

If you wish drop me an email I may join you depending upon dates
    How very dare you, I live on the IOW and Im no roadie! Unlike stefmcdef!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Wight off road loop’ is closed to new replies.