Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Isle of Purbeck route recommendations
  • simonm
    Free Member

Hopefully on holiday this year in Isle of Purbeck, can anyone recommend a good route down there ? Starting in Swange.

I’ve memory mapped a quick bridleway route via corfe castle, Rempstone Heath, Godlingston heath, Studland etc… but not sure if I’ve hit the best singeltrack that is to offer around there, so local knowledge always a help.

Cheers.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Done both of the these the long one is better as it goes past the Square and Compass which all rides in Purbeck should do.
    http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/south-west/the-isle-of-purbeck/

jeff

The long route in the STW PDF has a few road sections that can be avoided. We prefer to stay off road as much as possible and ride the ridges.

Here’s the figure of 8 we do – start as the long route in the STW PDF, but climb up to the radio mast on 9 barrow down, then descend to Corfe. (Extra climb/descent)

Go out of Corfe to the SSW, over Corfe common, join the STW route.

Just after Kimmeridge, check the flags etc and go west on the bridleway, take first right hand bridleway for a fun descent down to the stream. Head north, then take the super steep (challenging climb) dog leg BW to the right. Climb up to the ridge, past the Grange Arch and follow ridge back to Corfe.

Lunch in model village cafe.

From Corfe, Nine barrow down all the way to the Swanage road, then turn left and then right climbing up to the obelisk, then ballard down and old harry, Studland and a pint in the pub. (As per the Medium STW route)

Would be interested to hear of any extensions to the West another 10 miles would be great.

IHN

Ooh, I’m interested, never ridden down there but heard good things.

check the flags etc

Explain?

How does the area hold up in winter? Thinking of going down there in late Feb. Does it stay rideable or turn into a clagfest?

jeff

There are some firing ranges to the west and some of the trails close. I _think_ the extra bit we do is outside the area but double check the boundaries on an OS map 🙂

In winter the possible problems are slow/soft grass + headwinds on the top of the ridges, and slippery chalk on some of the sections. No boggy sections, apart from one that I can remember.

Some friends did this route last w/e, all fine apart from the draggy grass and the usual cafe was shut for the winter!

IHN

In winter the possible problems are slow/soft grass + headwinds on the top of the ridges, and slippery chalk on some of the sections.

So potentially not very newbie friendly then?

scottfitz
    Free Member

These guys might be able to help. They are base around wareham i think.
    http://dorsetroughriders.com/

jeff

So potentially not very newbie friendly then?

Maybe do the loop from Swanage to old harry and then make a call on the second – good thing about the figure of 8 is that there are bailout options, plus good cafes in Corfe etc.

Not techie riding, just chalky fire roads and open downland.

S_J
    Free Member

There was a loop in MBR a few years back which was ok. However, it did this BW as a climb but it’s a superb descent so I’d try and include it…

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=397182&y=79167&z=120&sv=397182,79167&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=841&ax=397182&ay=79167&lm=0

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

A lot of the interesting/fun singletrack stuff (Franks tank etc) is in the golf course area. Easy enough to find if you know where to look (er that sounds a bit rubbish).

A good 30+ mile route is easy enough to link together, but i’m not sure how to set a link up to one here.

Put a thread up nearer the time or mail me and i’ll show you around if you want.
    Either that or give the guys at Ride Cycleworks in Poole a buzz as they run large group rides over there a couple of times a week (including beginners rides for newbies). If you are staying in Swanage, pop into Charlie the Bikemongers and he’ll probably be able to point you in the right direction too.

Rusty

DrP

I’ve linked to some routes in my dropbox folder…
    Long-Hilly Purbecks
    STW Purbeck ride – my favourite
    Swanage-Purbeck WMB mag ride

All mmo files….

DrP

vd

S-J is on the money about that descent. After the first 200 yards on unpromising mud and ruts it turns into a great rocky track, arguably the best in the area if you like a challenge. Why anyone would put together a route using it as a climbe beats me, however. Track to the west is a better way up if you want to do S-J’s recommendation down.

simonm
    Free Member

wow, lot to process, many thanks.

DrP

The descent S-J mentions is on (i believe) the second route I posted (my fav!)
    It is a cracking few hundred yards of descent – pretty hairy if taken at speed!

DrP

jeff

Interesting! Will work out how to add that into our regular route.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Purbeck route recommendations’ is closed to new replies.