Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Isle of Islay ?
  • sofaking
    Free Member

which of the two campsites would you recommend, any good wild camping spots for a van ?
    must see places on the isle ?

ta in advance

elliptic
    Free Member

must see places on the isle ?

…the Laphroaig distillery…
    …the Lagavulin distillery…
    …the Bruichladdich distillery…
    …the Bunnahabhain distillery…
    …the Ardbeg distillery…
    …etc etc

😀

sofaking
    Free Member

cheers elliptic

they are all top on the to do list 😛

DrJ

I did my undergraduate field mapping project on Islay, camped about 100 yards from Bunnahabhain distillery. A few months later I moved to the US and the Islay whisky in the local liquor shop was a fraction of the price on Islay.

The north-east coast is pretty spectacular – amazing beaches and big sea caves. A bit grim when it's pissing down, though, and you're trying to keep a map and notebook dry :-((

AdamML
    Free Member

Stop off at Debbie's cafe in Bruichladdich and pay homage at the Islay Cycling Shrine.

If you go to here and click the 'Cycling on Islay' link there's a PDF guide to download.

sofaking
    Free Member

cheers folks

jimmy

Try the 'local' pub in Port Charlotte (ie can't remember the name, but not the posh hotel pub). Serves the local Islay beers, big food and there's a comedy Glaswegian bloke (Wullie) running the place who surely fiddles with local kids, but he's funny. And stays open til the last man drops. Quality place, in a league of gentlemen way.

AdamML
    Free Member

You could also try a day out with Jez Hastings (here and here).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Islay ?’ is closed to new replies.