Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • isle of Arran – Tips please
  • teenrat

We’re off the isle of Arrsn for a week at the start of August. I’ll be taking over a mtb so any good mtb routes would be appreciated. also, any recommendations for must see/do? and also places to eat and drink?

many thanks

iainc

have a look on the Arran Bike Club FB page – they have files with route maps etc

Fiddlers in Brodick and Coast in Whiting Bay great for food (owned by same people)

Yak

We used these as a basis for route planning:

http://www.arranbikeclub.com/routes

Not bad overall. Some bits were too overgrown to ride though, but some good trails in there in stunning surroundings.

Take smidge or some other repellant!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Where are you staying?.

Not bad overall. Some bits were too overgrown to ride though, but some good trails in there in stunning surroundings.

Those routes are way out of date tbh, If you let me know where you’re staying, and what kind of riding you fancy, I’ll give you a run down.

Or, follow me on Strava, I’m heading over to Lamlash for a week from this saturday, and will be doing a bit of riding.

Food – Brodick isn’t the best tbh, Fiddlers is not bad, Little rock cafe is good for lunch, Brodick bar is nice, but the guy that owns it is an utter cock, so I don’t go there. Douglas hotel is pretty decent. I’m not a fan of Auchrannie, it’s where lazy folk go and the food is average at best.

Whiting bay as Iain says has coast which is good, there a rotisserie place now which is supposed to be good, and there’s also a place called a womans name, annabels or summit like that.

Lamlash is the best place for food, but unfortunately my favourite has just closed down, owners put it up for sale under the family that had been running it.

Glenisle, pierhead tavern, lamlash bay hotel and Altachorvie are all good, and the old pier cafe does the best sausage rolls in the world.

Yak

[Notes to look at Nobeer’s strava for next time] 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Iainc knows quite a bit over there too, there’s some cracking biking.

iainc

^^^^ Indeed, though I don’t do Strava, so it’s all in ma heid 🙂

If you drop a line up on the club FB page you may get Gerard or one of the other locals to show you some stuff – many, many hidden gems…

joshvegas
    Free Member

There’s a great walk from lochranza round the coast to sannox bay.

Bit disappointed to arrive soaked to the skin and find the hotel had shut down though 😀

wl
    Free Member

If you get the weather, swim in the Rosaburn Pool at Glen Rosa – it’s mint.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s a great walk ride from lochranza round the coast to sannox bay.

Best done from Sannox, along the coastal path to the cottage, then up the steep grassy path behind, stunning views and a corking rocky descent to Lochranza.

If you like hill walking, there is some stunning walking on the island, some of the best ridges anywhere in Scotland, and multiple route options. Just don’t do the one below on a bike, as I did last saturday.

Longest I’ve ever hike a biked for…

Arran.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Noted nobeer.

It’s still a cracking walk mind 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘isle of Arran – Tips please’ is closed to new replies.