Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Isle of Arran route suggestions
  • chay
    Free Member

Heading to Arran this weekend, was initially going to do the Sannox to Goat Fell Loop as on http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue_Map_TrailViewer.aspx?VenueNumber=46&TrailNumber=496&Unique=636425469541994368 has anyone done this, got 2 days riding, any other recommendations? Thanks.

BFITH
    Free Member

Also interested… might be going next Easter 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I absolutely love a hike a bike, canny beat it, early start, sweating like a champion with around 3000ft of descending to do, brilliant.

That route however, is an absolute joke. I’ve walked and biked all of that at some point, and reckon you’d be lucky if an hour of that is bikeable (it’s best part of 6 hours that)

I could go on and describe the whole lot, but trust me, that’s a no goer.

If you PM me, I’ll gladly send some GPX over, or contact Gerard or Brodie on the bike clubs faceboak page.

There’s some awesome riding, that route isn’t it.

hodgynd
    Free Member

One of my favourite places to ride ..we have visited on three occasions ..and have done the first four routes a number of times ..the Classic Route is a classic and the Clauchlands route has an interesting drop down a cliff top where falling to the left would not be recommended !
    Myself and a mate headed off from Hexham in Northumberland on a whim to catch the early ferry from Ardrossan do the Classic ..get the last ferry back and return home before midnight ..Having dropped my mate off I did it with 10 mins to spare ..
    Going over as a foot passenger is a lot more inexpensive on Calmac.
    We also met Gerard briefly at the distillery at Lochranza where he works and he was very helpful regarding route choice prior to going ..
    Hope you make it there it’s a fantastic place to ride.
    Here are the maps..
    http://www.arranbikeclub.com/routes

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gimme a shout next time you’re going Neil, The ‘classic’ is a bit outdated now, lots of better options.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Interesting !
    There was talk of a trip next year..
    Cheers

mushrooms
    Free Member

Was hiking up there last week and also think there would be a lot of hike a bike which is a shame as it’s a beautiful area.
    I would of liked to have ridden the descent from the saddle into glen rosa but not sure how much carrying would be involved to get there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I would of liked to have ridden the descent from the saddle into glen rosa but not sure how much carrying would be involved to get there.

The first 500m or so of the descent into Glen rosa is ace, really good rocky descent. Then you get into an eroded rut, about 12-18 inches wide and 18inches deep, the result of many, many walkers over the years. It’s a frustrating piece of trail.

Interesting !
    There was talk of a trip next year..
    Cheers

Be glad to join you, I spend a week there every summer, and mibbe 5 or 6 day rides a year too riding with the guys from the club, so know it pretty well.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Will keep in touch on that it’s two years now since we were there and are due a re-visit ..need to re-think our accommodation though as the hotel we stayed in has reverted back into a private house …
    Cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Which hotel was it?.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’m trying to remember the name ..it was on the start of the Classic Route track in Brodick ..just up from the Brodick Arms ..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Glenartney hotel? I know it was sold recently, but pretty sure they’re still trading.

hodgynd
    Free Member

That’s the one ..I was of the understanding that it was just the cottage to let ..but may have got that wrong ..really nice place to stay with secure bike storage and a boot dryer !
    Edit : Having just checked the website it would appear that I’ve got that wrong ( happy to have done so !)..and they are indeed still doing B&B..

chay
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge just sent a pm via email, cheers.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Good stuff..enjoy 😀
    ..oh and let us know how you got on .

balfa
    Free Member

I’d second the insanity of that route! Descending Cioch na h Oighe is challenging enough on foot. Close on suicide to attempt that on a bike!

If you still want some biking in the hills in Arran, then the lower portion of goatfell tourist route is good. The descent from Coire Fionn Lochan is also good. However the best riding is in the forests and lower hills around Brodick, Lamlash and Whiting Bay. Self promotion plug below…

[video]http://vimeo.com/108920140[/video]

chay
    Free Member

Balfa, video looks good, do you have any gpx files of routes, looking for a big ride for Saturday and a smaller ride for Sunday. Cheers

crewlie

Not sure I’d recommend the cliff path from Clauchlands at the moment, it’s very wet and slippy. I took a friend down it last weekend with strict instructions not to fall left…he fell left. Fortunately the bracken grabbed him before he went too far, but I was starting to think of how I could explain it to his wife when he didn’t come home 🙂
    I’ve not been here long enough to be much of an expert on the island but as nobeer says, questions on the FB page will get a response and the club has a weekend ride usually 10am Sunday morning, anyones welcome. Usually a couple of hours then coffee and cake.
    Great video balfa by the way!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, the cliff singletrack is a bit cut up, pretty much been like that since grinduro.

balfa
    Free Member

Sorry chay no GPX I’m afraid though I think there are some routes on the bike club website.

Can’t say I noticed any difference in the cliff singletrack when I rode it a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was riding well and less over grown than normal presumably due to the event. Always thought you’d have to try pretty hard to go off the cliff though!

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve posted all the routes earlier in the thread ..just click on each one for the map

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Arran route suggestions’ is closed to new replies.