Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Islay or Jura, have you been?
  • salsaboy

Got a week at the end of April next year and we are looking for a cottage rental on either Jura or Islay.
    You informed and considered opinions are requested.
    Taking bikes and dog.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these on my bucket list.

http://www.islaycottage.com/

If you use them please note this post and email me a review 8)

Merak

Aye, I cycled to Islay, and round it and back from Glasgow last year. Its pronounced Isla btw. Its a funny old place, we cycled round the distilleries which was nice. To be honest there’s not alot else going on there.

We did it in a day.

Mibbes better on Skye?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Islay’s really nice, we stayed here….

http://blackparkislay.co.uk/

Which is easily the best SC accommodation we’ve ever stayed at.

skink2020

Islay is wonderful. We take the camper every year with bikes and two dogs.
    Jura is a bit more remote? Stayed in the two bothies and found the island excellent for peace and quiet.

geologist
    Free Member

I went to Islay for a week in August with my missus and 3 year old.

One word – Fantastic

We stayed here

http://www.kintrafarm.co.uk/

No mountain biking, (but I stopped at Dalbeattie and mabie on way up), but for solitude, wildlife, beaches and whiskey, its amazing.

Ive been to all the main Scottish Islands, and I would rate Islay as my fav. It just has an atmosphere that I cant put my finger on. Maybe its the peat bogs?

I had a couple of road rides on the Island with my mountain bike, but there really is no mountain biking, (if you find any, let me know 🙂 )

If you wanna know anything, like attractions etc, just let me know.

Merak

geologist

Its Whisky.

steviedog
    Free Member

Once rented a cottage on Islay for a week a few years ago.

A great place. For some reason all the drivers wave to each other.

Take a walk along the ‘Big Strand’ a fantastic beach.

Merak

Its the same on the Western Isles, formerly the Hebrides. Everyone waves at everyone! Its great. 8)

tiggs121
    Free Member

If you do get to Jura – try riding from Craighouse to the top and have a look at Corryvrekin Whirlpool. You’ll also pass the house where George Orwell wrote Animal Farm.

The Paps are good for a day out too. Midgies are the SAS of the midge world – be careful!

On Islay make sure you visit Duffys Bar in Bowmore.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

To be honest there’s not alot else going on there.

Which is the whole point of going. If you want nothing-ness.
    there’s loads to do & see & if you’ve cycled ‘around the distilleries’ in a day It’s no wonder you think there’s nothing much going on!

Merak

Meh.

salsaboy

Isolation is the big pull.

That and Bruichladdich.

athgray
    Free Member

Never been to Islay or Jura. Would love to though. Currently sipping on a 15 year old Bunnahabhain.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Currently sipping on a 15 year old Bunnahabhain.

*dribbles*

athgray
    Free Member

I know I will be after a few more!

firestarter
    Free Member

I love Islay and I love laphroarig 😉

Merak

Caol Ila for me.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Quite like/love a drop of The Botanist gin as well.

swiss01
    Free Member

…in a day. laughable.

me and msswiss have been going to islay every year for the past few years and we’ve still not done everything we could. and we’ve not bothered visiting any distilleries

CountZero

Merak – Member
    Caol Ila for me.

Mmmmmmm!
    And Laphroig, Bruichladdich…
    Anything Islay works for me.
    Really, really must get up there sometime. Peace, quiet, scenery and whisky. Really can’t think of a better way of spending time.

grum
    Free Member

Lovely spot and definitely worth the trip over to Jura, really remote feeling. There’s a campsite with a stunning view at the pub which is also next to the distillery. It was midge-tastic when we were there though.

Islay looked like it would be great for road biking, though I didn’t have mine with me.

We went to the whisky festival for me brother’s stag do as well. The Bruichladdich distillery pissup was awesome fun. Fresh caught oysters with the shell topped up with Bruichladdich, salmon being smoked in barrels in the yard, eaten on oat cakes sprayed with a garden mister full of Bruichladdich…… 🙂

BenjiM

I walked from the top of jura to the bottom a few years ago. You used to be able to get a ferry there. Its very remote and wild. There’s a bit more going on on Islay though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Now I found them dull, especially Islay.One distillery is the same as another. No mountains and whilst contry walks are great they pall a bit when there are mountains in view. ditto beaches. Walking the Strand is an hour or two not all day. Jura nice but apart from the Paps not much to do.
    Just a counter point really. when I am on holiday I don’t want to fester inside until 8am or be back “home” in the afternoon. sitting looking at a view is nice but you can do the same whilst walking. I would imagine it could be a real penance for teenagers!Much ncer Scottish islands out there with mountains, wild roads, big cliffs etc

mattsccm
    Free Member

It was hard to get away from people as well. And it rained

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Islay looked like it would be great for road biking, though I didn’t have mine with me.

The roads are crap. Quiet but crap. If I was biking I’d have fat tyres on.

It was hard to get away from people as well. And it rained

I was in Cornwall this year & I wished I’d been on Islay! What did you do, wander round Bowmore the whole time?

hitman
    Free Member

Rent a yacht and see the islands that way.
    Went there a few years back and it was amazing – no biking but a great holiday and cheap.
    Beautiful part of the world, we stopped here one night:

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Yachting sounds like a great idea, but I get sea sick so i won’t bother with that one.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t you need a bit of sailing experience before you can just rent a yacht?

cbike
    Free Member

They have ceilidhs, music and art festivals at certain times of the year.

Hopefully no Midgies in April.

There is a High speed water taxi from Jura and isla to Tayvialliach in Loch Sween. Takes bikes. You could go mountain biking on the mainland and be back for dinner.

Yachts can be chartered with a skipper. Need a Guide? http://www.lomondguides.co.uk

If you are doing it all in day you are not on holiday. That’s a mission.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

We went in April this year. We camped but it was pretty cold. We took road bikes and did a ride that is organised by the washingmachinepost mannie. Debbie’s cafe does indeed provide fine caffeine based refreshments and is quite near bruichladdich if you are fond of that too. We just pottered about on the beaches and ate nice food and rode bikes but didn’t make it to Jura as we couldn’t see it through the cloud and we really wanted to see the scenery.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Islay or Jura, have you been?’ is closed to new replies.