Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Islabikes progression
  • aracer
    Free Member

So like all STW indulgent parents we have an Islabike, and thinking of getting more. Right now mini-aracer is on a Cnoc 14 (the Rothan is hanging in the garage waiting for mini-aracer #2 to get big enough). The question is, what next – will he need a Cnoc 16, or can we skip that and go straight for a Beinn 20?

The pressing reason for asking is that my sister is offering me their Cnoc 16. I'm kind of thinking that I shouldn't actually lose any money on it, so it would be nice to fill in the gap, but not sure we really need it.

m_t_b
    Free Member

You definetely don't need it. Can you give her my email address and ask her to let me know how much she wants for it 😀

iainc

we went Cnoc 16 to Beinn 20 large and next summer planning a Beinn 26 small (he will be 8.5 then and average size for his age)

igm

The recommendation I've had is to skip to the 20, but he had a go on the 16s (Treks I think) at SSUK and was a little happier on those that he is on the Cnoc 14 at the moment – so, in summary, your call.

mike_p
    Free Member

14 to 20 is a big old jump. Mate of mine just did it with his eldest and the 20 is too big, kiddie can't control it.

My two (aged 4 and 5) are on 14s at the moment, going to 16s shortly which they'll be on for a couple of years.

aracer
    Free Member

My two (aged 4 and 5) are on 14s at the moment, going to 16s shortly which they'll be on for a couple of years.

Strange – 16 is coming from a 5 year old (if anything below average height for his age) who's already using a 20. I'd have thought the 16 would be way too small for an (almost) 7 year old – just checking the islabike size charts, a 16 only goes to 52cm, which by cross referencing is what they suggest for 6+.

mrchrispy

on paper littlechrispy would have been just about okay on the Cnoc16 and as I worried that he'd quickly outgrow the 14 I was considering it.
    in the end I went with the 14 and it was just right, if I feel he needs the 16 then we'll get one, you never loose much on islabikes.

get the 16 and move upto the 20 when the time is right.

Daniel
    Free Member

My eldest lad was 3 when he had a cnoc14. We bought him a Bienn20 small for his 5th birthday. He's average height for his age, he got on well with it straight away. He will have had it for 2 years in January.

Spud

I'm in a similar position with our lad, he's 5 in early April and his Cnoc14 which he's had since Christmas is looking small for him already. I'd have been tempted to go for the 16 this year but looking at Islabikes www it seems for 5+ the Beinn 20 small would be suitable.

iainc

spud – we bought the Beinn 20 large for ours when he was 5 1/2 and it was fine. he will be 8 this December and it's almost too small for him now. His little brother is already eying it up and he's 4 !!!!

2tyred

Tyred Jnr went from a Cnoc 14 to a 16 and almost as soon as he got it I thought it looked a bit small – not sure if that coincided with a bit of a growth spurt he had around the time of changing over, but less than a year on I'm starting to think about something bigger.

I just didn't want him to have to go from tiny clown bike to massive big boy bike straight away, he rides at a concrete skatepark a lot and I figured too big a bike would be a pain there.

He has a wee brother who'll use it anyway, then we'll sell it or pass it on. He rides loads, so even if he's only on it a year I don't think its money wasted.

palmer77
    Free Member

Spud do you think you will move on from the Cnoc 14 soon? If so I am trying to find one for my three year old.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Islabikes progression’ is closed to new replies.