Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Islabikes – custom components?
  • plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I’m on the lookout for a nice 24″ bike for my 8 year old who is outgrowing his Beinn 20. (See WTD ad!)

Had a quick look at Isla website and was a bit surprised to see that they claim exclusivity for their cranks, saddles, bars and levers. To varying extents for different components, I find this hard to believe. Is anyone familiar enough with the component industry to back this up or refute it?

st

Well my son’s Beinn 20 had Tektro brake levers and when the Beinn 24 I bought needed a new saddle I bought and “Everday” kids saddle from Halfords which was on the same base, had the same rails and the same saddle shape (with different covering).

I imagine that they buy enough components to have their own runs in the same way that some Charge saddles bear a striking resemblance to a number of others.

If you’re looking to build a kids bike I’d recommend the saddle I found for size (http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/saddles-seat-posts/xlc-everyday-kids-saddle) whilst the Avid brake levers I’ve just fitted are good for smaller hands.

Cranks are always the tricky thing but there have been a few threads on here over the last few months with options.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Cheers st…. Much as I love the idea of making kids bikes as good as they can be, and think that Islabikes have done a good job of that, I don’t appreciate being bamboozled by misleading claims. Might have to put in some shop time!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Islabikes – custom components?’ is closed to new replies.