• This topic has 51 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by benz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Islabike Poor service and ripoff transportation costs to Ireland
  • dublinresi
    Free Member

Has anyone else noticed the increase in cost of shipping to Ireland? Prices have soared from £25 to £60 pounds in 6 months, and they wont let you use the parcel motel service in belfast. This company has gotten to big and too greedy. I wonder if the balance sheet is being fattened for a corproate sale. The after sales service has been appaling as well, completly different from my last experience. This is the last time i will be using them.

DezB
    Free Member

Has he just said something bad about Islabikes?? LYNCH HIM!

Drac

Welcome to the forum.

wwaswas

Always suspicious of someone who joins to slag a company off and gives no specific details on the ‘poor service’ – I assume transport costs were known up front?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Welcome. Feel free to make sweeping statements with very little background or context.

tonyd

I wonder if the increase in shipping costs has anything to do with the general increase in, erm, shipping costs? I sold off some parts recently and was appalled at how much it cost to send items within mainland UK.

More like the Royal Mail balance sheets being fattened for privatisation? 😉

As for the staff (not necessarily after sales), I’ve only spoken to them a couple of times but they’ve been excellent in my experience.

warton
    Free Member

I imagine when you phoned them to place an order they told you how much postage would be? So you accepted and paid the cost, and then complained about it on here?

DezB
    Free Member

Welcome to the lynching.

GavinB

Let’s just run over a few things here, shall we:

Random capitalisation? No
    Sweary words? No

So far, this is not going well.

Appalling spelling and grammar? Yes
    First use of forum to slag off very reputable company? Yes

So, I’ll give you 5/10, seeing as it’s Friday.

hora
    Free Member

200 for a 3yr olds bike IS a rip off.

wwaswas

It’s cost of ownership though.

If you can sell if for £100 after 2 years it’s cost you £50/year.

You can buy something that weighs twice as much and is less pleasant to ride for £100 and it’ll be worthless after 2 years. Cost of ownership £50/year.

LoCo
    Free Member

Last week seat post shims, this week Isla bikes, it’s almost as if threads are being constructed on a friday to roll for the weekend 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Depends on how long it lasts for and if a 3 year old can take it apart.

I’ve heard of plenty of adults who spend £500+ on bikes only to keep taking it apart to swap frames.

honourablegeorge

I paid £25.00 to ship an Islabike to Ireland, they couldn’t have been more pleasant, and the bike is absolutely brilliant – my 5 year old did 13k with me.

bluebird
    Free Member

Welcome. Feel free to make sweeping statements with very little background or context.

He/she should fit in quite well around here then 😉

ads678

I think islabikes are a ripoff, but so is the rest of the bike industry! And most other stuff actually….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rubbish. Compare it to a similar quality adult bike – There’s still the same amount of tubes to be cut and welds to be made, it’s still got all the same components on it – headset, bars, stem, gears etc.It’s just smaller.

This is why a pair of shorts isn’t much cheaper than a pair of trousers: Same work to make them just smaller quantities of materials (the cheap bit…) needed

recipher
    Free Member

I think some of you need to understand the difference between being ripped off, and merely paying a high price for goods and services.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry 200 is too much for a 3yr olds bike. Plain and simple.

£1500 is too much for a single pivot bike frame.

Everything around cycling nowadays seems to be how to extract more from enthusiasts too.

but its for ickle hands and the bikes are lighter is another argument. Surely this can be done at a lower price point.

At the end of the day it all comes down to what the market can support- thats why they price the way they do.

What you all are are a bunch of handwringing apologists. Either that or ‘it’ll pay for itself come resale time’.

On STW you see these for sale and I think ‘but you paid less than that and its used- your not passing on the love are you’?

Leku
    Free Member
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Welcome to the Bear Pit!

ac282

So you don’t want to pay £200 for any 3yr old’s bike. That’s not the same as a rip off.

tonyd

Without wanting this to spiral into a debate over Islabikes compared to others, you can’t argue about the quality of them. Same as adult bikes, you get what you pay for and since the market is supporting their pricing they’ve obviously got it about right.

No apologising, no handwringing. If you want to spend less you’re free to do so, some do some don’t. The OP decided to buy an Islabike so called and placed an order. At that point he’d have been quoted shipping costs and could have decided against it but didn’t, I don’t understand what the complaint is.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

hora, stop whinging.
    What sort of bike for an adult do you get for £200? If it was the same spec as an Islabike, you’d be laughing.
    Factor in that the market for “good quality” kids bike is pretty small so you’re losing out on quantity of scale to reduce prices, and that pretty much sums it up.

Bandito junior #1 is on his second Islabike. I did consider the Frogs, but he has between sizes, so the Beinn20 suited him better, it should last a couple of years. Then it goes in the loft for a year, then its passed onto his brother for the next 2 years. £200 over 5 years, not bad I reckon, given what I’ll spend on the adult bikes in the family.

And back to the OP’s mithering: postage off the mainland for a small company is always going to be pricey. Suck it up, or buy elsewhere.

It comes down to the fact that there’s a choice. You don’t HAVE to buy an Islabike (but if you can afford it, you’d be a fool not to)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s opinion only.
    And you’re wrong anyway…..

How many kids bikes have you assembled and sold?

We sell a similar sized Ridgeback for £140, and you can see where a Frog bike at £185 is better for the extra money. I wouldn’t buy anyhting cheaper than the Ridgeback, personally. They’re decent tough bikes, but the Frogs are a lot lighter.

hora
    Free Member

😆

Incominnnngg..dive for cover!

kilo

At that point he’d have been quoted shipping costs and could have decided against it but didn’t, I don’t understand what the complaint is.

His complaint seemed pretty obvious from his post, the cost of shipping to Ireland has gone up from £25 to £65 over a short period of time. If this is the case it seems like a reasonable complaint .

Vern0n
    Free Member

You can argue all day about spending £200 on a 3 year old’s bike but it does not cost 60 quid to send a childs bike to belfast. Fair enough if you want to pay for the ‘premium’ kiddies bike but why should companies be making a profit on postage? Is it premium postage? Or parcelforce 48hr? I wonder.

SamB
    Free Member

What you all are are a bunch of handwringing apologists. Either that or ‘it’ll pay for itself come resale time’.

Hora, that’s exactly what you do! Buy a frame then apparently “sell it for the same as I bought it for, it hasn’t cost me anything” a year six months two weeks later

lemonysam
    Free Member

Incominnnngg..dive for cover!

Sometimes it’s very hard to tell when someone’s a troll and when they’re just a pillock.

hora
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s very hard to tell when someone’s a troll and when they’re just a pillock.

and someone somewhere feels safe and secure that they can act all rufty-tufty without being wedgied in person for being an internet warrior.

ocrider

Vern0n – Member

You can argue all day about spending £200 on a 3 year old’s bike but it does not cost 60 quid to send a childs bike to belfast.

I’m pretty sure that we’re not talking about delivery to Norn Iron, judging by the OP’s name.
    Still, could be worse. They don’t deliver at all to mainland Europe anymore.

tonyd

His complaint seemed pretty obvious from his post, the cost of shipping to Ireland has gone up from £25 to £65 over a short period of time. If this is the case it seems like a reasonable complaint .

The general increase in cost of shipping may be a reasonable complaint, but he’s blaming Islabikes for this rise in cost when it may well be down to the shipping company. Given Islabikes apparent desire to build their brand I doubt they’d jeopardise that to make an extra few quid on shipping.

The OP had the opportunity to decline and go elsewhere but he didn’t, IMO this makes his complaint unreasonable.

DezB
    Free Member

Pretty much agree with you Hora.

Thing is though – (stating the obvious approaching) kids grow out of stuff all the time! Especially bikes as they start to use them at the time when they are growing the most.
    So 2nd hand is the completely bloody obvious way to go if you don’t want to spend that much on a bike.
    Why people have to buy NEW for their kids, I don’t know, but let em!
    My kid couldn’t have had any more fun on an Islabike than he’s had on his £90-off-stw-classifieds-Specialized. (And he beat all the kids on Islabikes at the Big Bike Bash 😀 )

Mister-P
    Free Member

Hora, if you feel that £200 for a 3 year old’s bike is too much then there must be a gap in the market. Why don’t you set up a company making good quality kids bikes, as good as the Islabike range, but sell them cheaper? You could clean up, make a fortune. Maybe.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Double post

butterbean
    Free Member

Because he’s (mostly) full of sh*t?

To the OP, have you priced up a similar sized parcel to the ROI? I’m assuming not, as you would know that’s about the going rate.

hora
    Free Member

Because he’s (mostly) full of sh*t

As opposed to pure shit like you? 😉

honourablegeorge

As for Parcel Motel – have you ever used their service? You’re not fitting a bike into one of their little lockers.

butterbean
    Free Member

Sorry pauper, I can’t hear you from the bike industry ivory towers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Islabike Poor service and ripoff transportation costs to Ireland’ is closed to new replies.