Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Islabike owners – What size Cnoc?
  • piemann
    Free Member

I’m planning on getting Pie jnr a Cnoc for his 3rd birthday, but since he’s a biggun for his age, I’m not sure whether to get the 14″ or 16″ version.

I’ve looked at the size chart on their website and his inside leg is somewhere between the two minimum sizes, as is his height.

My concern is that the smaller wheel sized bike might not last him as long as the larger one. I’d rather not have to buy him another bike in 12-18 months if I can help it.

Anyone have/had a similar situation?

StirlingCrispin

If in doubt – go smaller.

Thud is 4 1/2 and tall – he still razzes around on a 14″, happy as can be.

karnali
    Free Member

will prob whizz about quicker on a 14 but you may end up like us fidning the jump to a 20 was too much so ended up with a 16 anyway for a very short period of time

tonyd

I’m having the same conundrum. My eldest is coming up 3.5 and inbetween the sizes. Youngest is only a year behind him so I considered getting a 14 which would be handed down sooner.

I think I’ll go for a 16 anyway as I don’t think we’d get enough use out of a 14. Be interested to hear others’ opinions on this also.

I think the inside leg measurement on the size charts is on the conservative side – when I got the Rothan for him he was under the minimum inside leg length but got on OK.

Stoner
    Free Member

The islabike range is sized so that you can miss jump from one size to the second one above.

Stoner Jr started on a Rothan then we went for the next size up, the 14″ Cnoc. He now has a 20″. When he first got on the 20″ I adjusted all the contact points to make the cockpit as small as possible and he was fine, having come from the 14″ with it al stretched as far as it would go. He’s only had the 20″ for a few months and Ive just put the seat up 1.5″.

Ive refurb’d and serviced the 14″ and Jr Jr is ready to go on to it this spring (aged 2.5) having been scooting on the hand-me-down rothan before his second birthday.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Had both mine on 16’s at 3 straight from the Rothan

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bought my lad a Cnoc14 for christmas when he was 3 1/2.
    thing was, he loved his Scoot so much, the Cnoc stood untouched for 9 months!!!
    He only started riding it last september, but since he did, he hasn’t stopped. Now progressed to stair-jumping:

Image0179 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

He’s got the saddle pretty much at the highest point now, he’s 1.08m tall I think from a recent measurement and about to outgrow it. He had a go on a friend’s Cnoc16 and it did look “just right” on him, but he’ll outgrow that by next christmas, so I’m thinking a Benn20 Small for his birthday in the summer.

his inside leg is somewhere between the two minimum sizes, as is his height.

So the Cnoc16 is too big for him then…
    Go with the 14.

ajc
    Free Member

Both my boys went from balance bike to cnoc 16 at 3 1/2 . It’s going to be a very big jump from a 14 to a 20 later on.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Oh yes, with hindsight I should have waited and bought the Cnoc16, but there you go. At the time of buying it, the 16 would have been too big, but because he’d never really pedalled anything, he just didn’t like it. A summer of riding on a tag-along taught him how to move his legs, combined with the balance from his balance bike. In the end it took a single pedal stroke for him to master it.

heihei

In my experience, the stated min on Islabike’s website is a minimum, and I wouldn’t want to go below it (now on 4th Islabike).
    The good thing with these is that they retain their value 2nd hand, so trading up doesn’t cost too much.

takisawa2

My lad jumps from his Cnoc 14 to his brothers Beinn 20 small this week. He’s done a few rides on it & is itching to get his big brothers bike now.

If your in Staffs (or Bristol-ish way over the weekend) your welcome to have a go on the 14″.

roverpig

Ours tended to miss a few steps as well. They both started on the Cnoc 14, then went to a Beinn 20 Large and the eldest has just moved from there to the Beinn 26 Small. Which reminds me, I must clean that Cnoc 14 up and sell it on 🙂

barn
    Free Member

Defo the 14.
    Call Islabikes (they’re dead helpful) and they will tell you the same – as verified by most above.
    Great bikes, lovely company, neither you nor your nipper will regret it.
    😀

jonathan
    Free Member

Rothan to Cnoc 14 at 3 1/2, then up to small Beinn 20 here, with plenty of overlap. Still riding the Beinn at 8 with saddle up and wide low bars to give a really good riding position. Just sorting a 24″ wheeled MTB now.

I’ve looked at the size chart on their website and his inside leg is somewhere between the two minimum sizes, as is his height.

Always buy the bike that fits now (ie the 14), otherwise you just end up with a bike that’s too big and no fun and that can be frustrating/annoying/off-putting for them (IMO etc)

FieldMarshall

My son went from Rothan to 16 to 20Large. (with a “free cycle” stop gap for a couple of months between Rothan and 16)

I expect there is no perfect solution, as kids dimensions and rates of growth are so different.

Give them a call, they are always very helpful.

Plus even if you have to sell after year, it’s not a problem as you’ll get virtually all your money back, even after ebay fees etc. So you’ve effectively had a years free use.

piemann
    Free Member

Thanks for the sensible advice. I kinda thought the 14 would be the way to go, but the tight fisted Scot that I am thought the 16 might be a better financial decision.

I want him to enjoy it as much as possible, so getting the correct size to start with is probably the best bet.

Thanks all.

Pie.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Islabike owners – What size Cnoc?’ is closed to new replies.