Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Isla, Frog or other lightweight kids bike
  • kookookaty
    Free Member

Hello
    I would really appreciate some advice on which bike to buy for my 8 year old son. I know islabikes are fab and Frog bikes are a slightly cheaper alternative but does anyone have a recommendation for an even cheaper alternative?. I’m fully aware islabikes hold their value, not sure about Frog but I feel uncomfortable with such a big initial outlay as my son is not a bike nut and only uses it during the warmer months so I’m not sure he needs an amazing bike! Should I just bite the bullet and go for an Isla or frog and hope it boosts his enthusiasm for cycling or should I save my money on something less expensive? Any advice gratefully received.
    Thanks

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A mate has just bought his daughter a Frog and it’s brill, I was impressed. Really light, a proper bike in every sense. I really can’t see how an isla bike would be better ( just like big bikes in that since then). The frame quality is as good as any bike I’ve had. The componentary might be better on an isla bike but that’s wasted on kids. Guess what website I’ve been looking at tonight. If there is a difference in depreciation of the thing then you can balance that out with the difference in initial purchase price. But I take the view that I’d prefer (hope) that the thing would be well used…and abused as everything that kids get their hands on is, so resale value is not really a consideration. Also if it does turn out to be an unused bike then you’ll get something for it due to its condition and it will still cost you less than buying some piece of cheap pig iron from Halfords.

steelfan
    Free Member

Dawes have a new range of lightweight kids bikes.

Dawes academy

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    takisawa2

A Carrera Blast…
    They aren’t as crap as the hype suggests.
    Lose the daft knobbly tyres, set them up properly & they make a good bike.
    Just a shame they stick those stupid cheap suspension forks on.

ctk
    Free Member

Islabikes hold there value very very well. So if you spend £200 on a bike and keep it in reasonable nick you’ll get back most of your money. & if you buy used you’ll get your money back pretty much.

transporter13
    Free Member

Same as takisawa2
    Since I changed a few bits, it’s given my daughter so much more confidence as the standard shifters/brakes/tyres are shit and the wheels are heavy although they have lasted very well with little maintenance so far.

Changed the grip shift to normal sram shifters
    The tyres to some schwalbe smart sams. Saves loads of weight.
    The brakes to some avid elixir 3’s that I had laying around
    Seatpost to an Easton one as it was again laying in my spares box.

The next change will be some nice wheels(2nd hand) and maybe some cheap old manitou forks if I can find some as my daughter rides enough that I can justify it.

kookookaty
    Free Member

Thank you for all your advice. Will look into all the suggestions and hopefully make a final decision!

jamiea
    Free Member

All I know is our daughter wants a Frog balance bike for her second birthday. We put her on one in a LBS and everytime she sees a bike says ‘Frog bike!’ 🙂

Cheers,
    Jamie

julians
    Free Member

Just ordered an islabike cnoc 14 for our son (aged 3). For me it came down to either the specialized hotrock 12, or the isla bike cnoc 14. In the end I went for the isla bike, because the specialized had a coaster brake, which I thought would just confuse him, seeing as his balance bike has a hand operated brake.

islabikes are a bit on the pricey side for a kids bike, but If I can sell it in 3 years time for half the new price thats fine for me.

I know he’ll get a lot of use out of it, he uses his balance bike to go everywhere, he loves it, and he’s been hassling me to get him a ‘pedalling bike’ for a while now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Isla, Frog or other lightweight kids bike’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts