Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Isla bikes alternatives?
  • seadog101

Need to get YoungSeadog a new bike. Would really like a small framed 26″ wheeled, front suspension, not too heavy.

Isla bikes Crieg26 fits the bill, apart from being bloomin’ expensive!

Any alternatives I’m missing?

twoniner
    Free Member

Isla bikes are expensive but IMO well worth the money, if you book an appointment and go there you get cracking service.

My daughters on her second Isla bike now. They hold their value well second hand.

ads678

Just buy an xs 13″ or 14″ frame and build one up. On one inbred, or our lass has a spesh hard rock that seems really small even though it’s a 15″ i’m sure they did 13″ as well though.

richpips
    Free Member

I built an XS frame with V – Brakes and rigid forks, 27 gears that weighs 8.5 Kg.

That Crieg 26 as nice as it looks is not exactly lightweight.

seadog101

I like the idea of doing a build myself. But the cost of all the bits really does rack up very quickly.

It’s finding a small enough frame without dipping into the ‘kids bikes’ section that’s the problem. What’s annoying is that there’s plenty of decent Woman specific stuff in the smaller frame sizes that come down to fairly cheap prices, but he’d be mortified at that!

takisawa2

I picked up a 26″ wheeled Spesh Hotrock, with a 12″ frame. Probably paid over the odds for it but it (£100), was the frame I was after though. Slowly collecting bits together. Got some Exotic rigid forks to go on. 1×9 drivetrain, some Smallblock8’s. Wheels next, just need to pick up some disc hubs. Already have an old set of Jucy’s to Re-build. I built up a 15″ version for the Wife. They come in really light, Wifes is about 22lb. Probably looking at about £250 including the frame. Best thing is the light weight, that’s one of the things kids love about Islabikes.

Halfords Carrerra range are worth a look too. Having taken a set if luggage scales (seriously) into our local Halfords, there is less than a pound & half between a £160 20″ wheeled Carrerra Blast & my lads Beinn 20, at £280. Lose the daft suss fork & they’re about the same. Your paying for kid specific parts though on the Isla, & if you can afford one, buy an Isla as you’ll lose less when you sell.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Isla bikes alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.