Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 280 total)
  • ISIS threatening Europe.
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Where do jihadists go on holiday?

somewhere nice and Sunni

‘Ere all week.

footflaps

Aye, we have that awkward thing about not massacring civilians, it holds us back.

Don’t worry, we’re having a red tape bonfire and all those nasty H&S rules like not napalming women and children will soon be gone….

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Pretty much sums it up..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrWoppit
    Free Member

somewhere nice and Sunni

Shia madness.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Problem is if they can reach Israel then all known nutters around that world that hate Israel will join forces including some middle eastern govts trying to be seen as “whiter than white”.

Utter nonsense. Who is going to join with ISIS? Iraq? Syria? Iran? Who?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well if ISIS and anyone else do get it together, I’d expect them to fall off in short order. Either that or their bearings will fail and the mission will grind to a halt.

TAXI!

theotherjonv

somewhere nice and Sunni

Shia madness.

Enough of the shi-ite jokes.

chewkw
    Free Member

gobuchul – Member

Problem is if they can reach Israel then all known nutters around that world that hate Israel will join forces including some middle eastern govts trying to be seen as “whiter than white”.

Utter nonsense. Who is going to join with ISIS? Iraq? Syria? Iran? Who? [/quote]

By the time Isis reaches Israel I doubt they are much of Iraq or Syria left apart from pockets of former govt territories.

As for the nutters there are plenty about who are willing to help out directly or indirectly as they are from all over the world. I mean they will “rationality” justify their involvements. Nutters and ZMs they are … 🙄

theotherjonv – Member
    Enough of the shi-ite jokes.

Long time ago I pronounced it as “shite” to my friend from Iran but he took it well. My Jordanian friends however found it very funny and my Palestinian friend was grumpy … the Jordanians said he was a grumpy person … 😆

DrJ

We really have gone through the looking glass when you consider that Iraq is now full of Iranian militias. But this is now apparently a good thing, as they’re on ‘our’ side.

Not to be confused with Yemen, where the pro-Iranian militias are a bad thing and must be bombed by our friends the Saudis.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

The Iranians think the US is funding and supplying ISIS. The Iranian militias are not ‘our’ friends.

grum
    Free Member

ISIS were our friends when Assad was the bad guy, remember that?

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

you’re not remembering things right. once upon a time there were moderate revolutionaries but they got stomped by the islamists

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

That article I posted earlier in the thread suggests grum may have a point…

Whether that has any bearing on Jihadi John not being apprehended by MI5 remains to be seen

nostoc
    Free Member

Somebody is funding and supplying ISIS.

grum
    Free Member

you’re not remembering things right. once upon a time there were moderate revolutionaries but they got stomped by the islamists

Well I was being slightly facetious, but we were funding/arming the revolutionaries allied to ISIS.

kimbers

aaaaaaaaaam – Member

they didnt all get stomped on, a lot have moved over to ISIS

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/23/us-air-strikes-syra-driving-anti-assad-groups-support-isis

samuri
    Free Member

Why haven’t ISIS seen fit to attack Israel?
    To quote Yamamoto “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

Israel don’t mess about and Isis don’t have the capacity to fight them.

And here’s me thinking it was because their American paymasters had told them not to.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Isn’t Saudi Arabia the paymaster for ISIS? Isn’t it the usual Sunni/Shia merry go round?

downshep

What this needs is conciliation by way of a charity single, like “I got you babe” by Sunni and Shia….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Somebody is funding and supplying ISIS.

They are self funding now. When they took Mosul they raided the bank there to the tune of a few billion and they have been selling oil on the black market including to Turkey. Plus the western Jihadists are encouraged to be self financing, ie to make their own way to Syria and to bring enough money to buy weapons.

grum
    Free Member

Despite funding the promotion of a lot of the more extreme versions of Islam that ISIS support, I’m not sure the Saudis are too keen on ISIS. Think they are afraid it could all get out of hand and destabilise their country.

I heard recently that the key architects of IS are not religious fanatics at all by the way. Will try and find links tomorrow.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think some people might be under the impression that ISIS are just a bunch of terrorists who don’t do much beyond just murdering people. They are the rulers in about a quarter of Syria and Iraq. The area they control is more or less a functioning state. They receive revenue in much the same way as other rulers/governments do, eg, through taxation.

This is the legacy of failed Western foreign policy :

It represents a sizable country.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This is the legacy of failed Western foreign policy

I agree, but it’s not clear to me that we deserve quite as much of the credit for this shambles as we’re taking.

Robert Fisk‘s summary of the current war:

The Saudis are bombing Yemen because they fear the Shia Houthis are working for the Iranians. The Saudis are also bombing Isis in Iraq and the Isis in Syria. So are the United Arab Emirates. The Syrian government is bombing its enemies in Syria and the Iraqi government is also bombing its enemies in Iraq. America, France, Britain, Denmark, Holland, Australia and – believe it or not – Canada are bombing Isis in Syria and Isis in Iraq, partly on behalf of the Iraqi government (for which read Shia militias) but absolutely not on behalf of the Syrian government.

The Jordanians and Saudis and Bahrainis are also bombing Isis in Syria and Iraq because they don’t like them, but the Jordanians are bombing Isis even more than the Saudis after their pilot-prisoner was burned to death in a cage. The Egyptians are bombing parts of Libya because a group of Christian Egyptians had their heads chopped off by what might – notionally – be the same so-called Islamic State, as Isis refers to itself. The Iranians have acknowledged bombing Isis in Iraq – of which the Americans (but not the Iraqi government) take a rather dim view. And of course the Israelis have several times bombed Syrian government forces in Syria but not Isis (an interesting choice, we’d all agree).

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and UAE especially seem to have been spending huge amounts of public and private money on lots and lots of war. Presumably there would have come a point when these very wealthy countries with substantial militaries would have started to be more influential, even without the disastrous attempt to re-shape the region that the US kicked off in 2003.

nickc

Israel would smash them with conventional forces.

There’s scant evidence that the IDF is any better than any other army at fighting non conventional forces.

besides, IS is controlled by ex Iraqi military commanders, why would they bother with Israel?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and UAE especially seem to have been spending huge amounts of public and private money on lots and lots of war. Presumably there would have come a point when these very wealthy countries with substantial militaries would have started to be more influential, even without the disastrous attempt to re-shape the region that the US kicked off in 2003.

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and UAE, all have regimes dependent on the West for their survival, the situation in the whole region has been shaped by Western foreign policy.

The West can indeed take credit for the mess.

A mess created through greed and self-interest with scant regard for the people affected.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

This:

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and UAE, all have regimes dependent on the West for their survival, the situation in the whole region has been shaped by Western foreign policy.

The West can indeed take credit for the mess.

A mess created through greed and self-interest with scant regard for the people affected.

To expand slightly, we have to take into account that Saudi Arabia is consistently among the top customers for the UK Arms industry, with Prince Charles and Prince Andrew often involved in negotiations and brokering deals (similarly for Bahrain and UAE)

They have been long time collaborators with MI5/6 and the CIA in covert operations such as Operation Cyclone and many others besides.

Their role in 9/11 and ties to The Carlyle Group and the Bush Family are the subject of continued investigation.

The area they control is more or less a functioning state. They receive revenue in much the same way as other rulers/governments do, eg, through taxation.

That being the case, we have to ask who is continuing to supply weapons and ammunition and why embargos on weapons supply are lacking.

Furthermore, we have to ask who is continuing to trade with ISIS in the commodities they provide…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

downshep – Member
    What this needs is conciliation by way of a charity single, like “I got you babe” by Sunni and Shia….

OUTSTANDING!! 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ernie – most of the land on your map is desert, it’s not controlled by anyone. What ISIS controls are a few key cities and the roads between them. The West did fail in Iraq in some regards mainly as a result of pulling out too soon, the Iraqis where not ready to take over.

There’s scant evidence that the IDF is any better than any other army at fighting non conventional forces.

besides, IS is controlled by ex Iraqi military commanders, why would they bother with Israel?
    Surprising statement, the IDF are one of the most effective anti-terrorist military forces in the world.

IS is bothered by Israel in that the country is full of Jews who they would very much like to eradicate. Look at all the examples of returning IS fighters and sympathizers who attack Jews in Europe (eg Denmark, France, Belgium)

Here is a map of their long term goal – note no Israel or Spain;

wrecker
    Free Member

All that black would look a bit dour and rubbish on an atlas or a globe so I’m dead against it.

mogrim

They’re going to run into serious trouble if they try to ban jamón in Spain.

BigDummy
    Free Member

That being the case, we have to ask who is continuing to supply weapons and ammunition and why embargos on weapons supply are lacking.

Furthermore, we have to ask who is continuing to trade with ISIS in the commodities they provide…

As always, there seems to be a reasonably straightforward answer: US-led airstrikes have heavily targeted their ability to produce oil, with some success. However, much of their export is smuggled across the desert and mixed with legit supplies. No-one has a contract to buy islamic state oil.

Weapons sales are embargo’ed, obviously. However, (i) they overran so many units of the (US-supplied) Iraqi army that they did pretty nicely for themselves gun-wise, (ii) some arms were clearly provided to groups in Syria who were hoped to be less insane and have ended up with the very insane people and (iii) arms move fairly freely around the middle east anyway. At one stage every household in Iraq had an AK47 – there are probably enough basic assault rifles and ammunition available to keep up light mayhem for years without needing any very sophisticated re-supply.

”We have no silver bullet, no secret weapon to empty ISIL’s coffers overnight,”

Of all of the things to assume is a conspiracy, this mess is way out there. There was a conspiracy already, as we all recall: the US and UK greatly over-egged the case for invading Iraq in 2003 and tried to instal a reasonably sympathetic client government. They failed utterly and Iraq is now collapsing in a war between a largely Iranian-sympathetic government and an out-of-control islamic fundamentalist horror-show. No-one planned this, and it’s very far from clear that anyone is benefitting.

kimbers

No-one has a contract to buy islamic state oil.

Oil companies don’t give a crap, they keep a few dodgy tankers off the coast of Africa to buy back the crude the locals/ pirates steal from pipelines and tankers

As for arms sales, we sold over £1m of arms to the Libyan government after gafaffi fell, I imagine a lot of that is now in IS hands
    And Cameron was in the middle east when the Arab Spring started, was he promoting peace, democracy and goodwill, was he fk, he was there with a brigade of UK arms dealers pumping ever more weapons into the hands of our preferred dictators

nemesis
    Free Member

All that black would look a bit dour and rubbish on an atlas or a globe so I’m dead against it.

too right. British Empire red was much better…

wrecker
    Free Member

too right. British Empire red was much better…

Red is preferable to black! It would look like a big hole (which might actually be quite accurate).

jambalaya
    Free Member

The mess the coalition made in Iraq and the missed opportunities where touched on in these excellent interviews with Emma Sky on Newsnight (episode also contains an interview with Sharon on a two state solution in Israel) and on LBC yesterday and some excellent insight into Sunni / Shia issues in Iraq. She was a special advisor to the US military in Iraq. I’ve just bought her book

LBC Radio Interview

Newsnight inc Emma Sky interview

She is quite critical of Obama’s single minded desire “just to get out” also of the way in which the war/invasion was waged. She points out the Iraqi military outnumbered ISIS by 100:1 but endemic corruption meant they had no desire to actually fight anyone.

colp

According to that map they want Austria, a country that lives entirely on pork.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

According to that map they want Austria, a country that lives entirely on pork.

Trying to show them the error of their ways?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

@ernie – most of the land on your map is desert, it’s not controlled by anyone.

I suggest you read this article about life in ISIS controlled territory :

The Isis economy: Meet the new boss

“Signs of discontent are evident across the ‘caliphate’ as people tire of its taxes, price caps and shoddy services”

As for the claim that ISIS controls mostly desert and nothing much more according to the chief of staff of the Kurdish President ISIS rules over “a population of between 10 and 12 million”

War with Isis: Islamic militants have army of 200,000, claims senior Kurdish leader

Even if you take this as a gross exaggeration and half the figure it still represents many millions. Just the combined populations of Aleppo, Mosul, and Falluja, amounts to several millions.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m not disputing numbers @ernie, we are both speaking of the same thing. The people live in the cities.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 280 total)

The topic ‘ISIS threatening Europe.’ is closed to new replies.