Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • isis bb removal help
  • LapSteel
    Free Member

just wondered if anyone knew how to remove an isis bb?l
    I have removed the cranks, removed the bb locknuts from both sides but the axle will still not budge.

do I need a special tool, I have tried wacking it with a rubber mallet but don’t want to ruin the frame.

any suggestions?l

nonk
    Free Member
    LapSteel
    Free Member

got one of them….used it to remove the bb cups from both sides. Now I just have the axle that’s not moving…….I can see some bearings from both sides

looks like a trip to the lbs on Saturday!

nonk
    Free Member

is it?
    hold on.
    fixed.

LapSteel
    Free Member

think it might need some sort of bearing puller

mrlugz
    Free Member

Has the bearing cup sheared off?

There should be play up and down with it removed.

coatesy
    Free Member

Have you got a cable guide under the BB shell, held on by a screw that’s fouling the cartridge’s body?

wwaswas

if you’ve got the cups off both sides you should be able to see daylight past the bearings in the bottom bracket shell if you look through.

Maybe you’ve magnetised your frame if it’s steel?

LapSteel
    Free Member

The cups don’t appear to have sheared off…they are both the same size.
    No Cable guide or screws etc
    Cant see daylight past the bearings, only through the hollow axle. It looks like the bearings are stuck to the frame……It is a steel frame (On One Inbred) doesn’t appear to be magnetised though

LapSteel
    Free Member

I think its one of these or similar design

wwaswas

so bearings rest directly on BB shell threads?

blimey, hope they haven’t rusted on 🙁

I assume you **** it with a hammer at one end to pus axle and bearing out and then use a drift to remove the other bearing but I’d probably check if it were my frame before I got a 2lb hammer out.

hrcmonty
    Free Member

If it’s something like that, then if you can soak your whole bb cup in a carton of wd40 or similar over night. Come to it in the morning, rest the frame against your shins. Get a piece of wood and a bigger hammer.
    Then go for it, The akle has a Flange on it that is against the bearing, this will knock a bearing out.

LapSteel
    Free Member

I assume you **** it with a hammer at one end to pus axle and bearing out and then use a drift to remove the other bearing but I’d probably check if it were my frame before I got a 2lb hammer out.

Thats my assumption too but bit worried about trashing the frame!

Just thought someone may have come across one before.

I do have a good LBS so I’ll take it in on Saturday

I’ll try the wd40 method overnight tonight

hrcmonty
    Free Member

Can you get some Pics up, as you’ve said you think it’s one of those. But not sure.

Normal ISIS BB’s the actual shell is threaded so when you unscrew it. The BB shell comes out.

LapSteel
    Free Member

I can probably get some pics up tonight…

Cant really see much though just the spindle surrounded by the bearings….same on both sides….

I’ll try a bit of heat….then a WD40 soak…..

If its still stuck I’ll take it to the LBS

hrcmonty
    Free Member

Hairdryer heat not Naked flame heat!

LapSteel
    Free Member

I usually use boiling water…..

LapSteel
    Free Member

***UPDATE***

Took it too the LBS who hit it with a variety of hammers until the bearings came out then hack sawed some other bits that were fused to the frame.

It was a raceface BB and the cups had sheared off which was why it wouldn’t budge.

New hollowtech bb fitted now along with new chainset.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘isis bb removal help’ is closed to new replies.