Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • ISIS BB?
  • luked2
    Free Member

Quick question: my ISIS bottom bracket has a noticeable wobble.

All those stories about ISIS BBs are true I guess.

So, any suggestions for a replacement?

Or do I just get some SLX HTII's, and toss the Middleburn's in the trash?

Kato

I've been getting a couple of years out of SKF ISIS bb's

BXC-300 I think it was

I've a similar dilemma in that I'm quite attached to my Turbines and I'm reluctant to part with them which is why i'm perservering with ISIS

luked2
    Free Member

Looks like you can't get the SKF ones for love nor money any more 🙁

StuE
    Free Member

The Superstar BB should be worth trying at £30.00
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=31

convert

SKFs freely available from RJF X-treme. Middleburn import them now I believe and bring in the squre taper too, also available from RJC. Mine has been great and creak free, the scurge of the Isis.

travellingman
    Free Member

Jon at RJC X-treme is great to deal with and consistently offers exceptional service. Over the months I've had to return/exchange a few components and he's always been more than happy to help.
    He sells the SKF BXC-600 Isis BB in 113mm axle width for Middleburn cranks plus the BAS-600 for square taper. Both are the top of the range stainless versions and are beautifully made.

Kato

Trouble is they only list the £75 one. BXC-300 should only be about £40 and I've not seen any for sale for ages. Think, I'd rather buy an SLX chainset then drop £75 on a BB. Might give the Superstar one a pop instead

Although I've also heard the Crank Brother Cobalt is also pretty durable

travellingman
    Free Member

You get 10% off any order over £50 so that's £67.50 including free recorded delivery p&p.
    Not quite £40 but money well spent as far as I'm concerned. SLX vs. Middleburn. No contest!
    As regards alternatives, Superstar don't really have the best of reputations do they?

Rickos
    Free Member

I have a Crank Bros one and it's fine. Been running it about 2 years so far and it has a 5 year guarantee on it too.

Filthy
    Free Member

I have turbines too, they were on the singlespeed with an SKF bb which is still going strong after 2 years. I've just swapped the cranks on to the cross bike and fitted a superstar bb… thats still going strong after 3 rides. Reasonably priced too.

If your chucking the middleburns in the bin… drop them in mine 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Got 2 years out of my superstar ISIS BB. When it broke it was an excuse to get SLX and HT2. Anyhow, the superstar one is only 30 notes and is OK.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi luked2, have you ever stripped an ISIS BB? I knocked an old failed one apart to see why they failed so quickly. The ball bearings inside the races are tiny! i mean 1mm tiny, so once any dirt gets in a small amount of wear on the balls and races feels like loads of free play slop etc. The bearings are just too small for the load and conditions of UK riding IMO. HT2 are a bit bigger (3/4mm balls) some are better sealed than others. Seems a real shame to loose your nice Middleburn cranks perhaps the SKF unit is better sealed but the truvative one i stripped simply didnt have any room around the axle for a larger bearing race.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

That's the thing about the superstar ones – they have bigger balls instead of cartridge bearings.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ISIS BB?’ is closed to new replies.