• This topic has 26 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Is your cheapest bike your favourite?
  • mattbibbings
    Free Member

My cellar currently has a blinged up Five, an On One Fatty, a Genesis Equilibrium and a classic old 80s 653 winter hack but I think my favourite bike of all is my bodged-together cheap and cheerful Planet X Uncle John that is full of cheapo second hand kit.

If I had to keep only one it would be Uncle John. I can’t really define one reason why, it just always feels great to ride and never disappoints.

Am I the only person who rates their cheapest bike so highly?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Out of the 2 MTB’s my cheapest is the one I’d keep IF I had to choose.

gogg
    Free Member

No, but my oldest bike is my favourite, which is why it keeps getting attention lavished on it. Bit like the wife really.

Simon

In a word, no.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Not at all but the cheapest one is the one I use the most

passtherizla
    Free Member

Kind of… I love my rocket, but my tiny bfe is so much fun that it gets ridden a lot more. Especially as there are 2 sets of dirt jumps and 4 BMX tracks in very close proximity to me.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

nope.. My ugliest bike wins out.

njee20
    Free Member

Not at all, I dislike it.

tomhoward

I hate them all.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Yes, although my cheapest bike was £350 and my most expensive was £500 so there’s not that much in it.

edhornby

enjoy riding all of them when you’re riding the right bike for the job: this week my commuter has been off the road so I’ve been riding my mountain bike to work and I’ve been cursing it, but get it on a bit of singletrack and its big grins. And there is nothing better than blasting along the lanes in the summer on my road bike

mintimperial

Nope. But my second-fanciest bike is my least favourite, if that helps? I should probably sell it.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

No, but I do have an Edinburgh bike Contour 100 that was the cheapest (new) bike I’ve ever bought, I commuted on it toured a bit and just rode it, not my favourite like I say but it has been an old faithful with some great memories. Its been living on the turbo for a number of years now but I’ve still got it, must be going on 20years now.

Not by a long stretch, but being my pub/shop/pootle bike and the fact it’s a 90’s steel Kona, it will still be with me long after the £4k carbon full susser has been replaced.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No, the modern more expensive bike is better in every way. The 456 is currently getting split and parted off, if it was to be replaced it would be with a 1×10 (40t) nice steel frame with proper kit on it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had a lovely S-works Enduro years back, lovely bike, I also has enough parts (nearly) to make another bike, just needed forks and a frame so I got an Inbred frame and some very cheap Psylo forks.

That became my “parts bin” bike.

I loved that bike and it got to go out way more than the Enduro, which found itself for sale at some point.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Is your cheapest bike your favourite?

No.

IHN

I have four bikes:

An 853 Genesis Altitude with quite nice kit on it.
    A Bonty Privateer with a carbon fork that looks gorgeous, currently with 700c wheels in but might be a turned back into a proper rigid MTB
    A CX/road bike with a disc up front and reasonable kit on
    A filthly, purple forked, 1995-vintage Marin, S/S bodged with a rusty chain, 1″ tyres and mudguards.

The latter will be the last to go.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a few bikes:

Singular Hummingbird hardtail
    Mondraker Dune FS
    Spec Big Hit 2 FS (park bike)
    Cannondale Synapse road bike
    Fuji Track Classic fixie

I also have a couple of others in bits or unridden

The mondraker and the cannondale are by far my favourites and the most expensive but I’d not get rid of any of them except maybe the big hit as it’s a luxury item for the half dozen rides a year it gets.

kennyp
    Free Member

My favourite bike is my most expensive bike, I’m glad to say.

cookeaa

All of my bikes are Cheap, and I don’t really have a favourite either, what I avoid however is having two bike that fulfil the exact same purpose they each cover different “Riding bases” if you like…

through summer my Geared road bike, 456 and DH bikes will be my “Favourites, come winter my SS MTB and Fixie commuter will take over the bikes of choice spots as the weather dictates…

I can’t help thinking an excess of bling is bad for cycling…

holdsteady

Yes, my cheapest and oldest is the only bike I regularly ride (a 2004 hardrock) – have an Enduro that I have rarely used so that is going to be cannibalised for parts for a Steel hardtail, also have a Pompino so may just leave the hardrock at my mum’s who lives 250 miles away so I have a bike there when we stay to force me to use other 2 more.

molgrips
    Free Member

My XC race bike is my favourite XC race bike
    My trail bike is my favourite trail bike
    My big bike is my favourite big bike
    My road bike is my favourite road bike
    My hybrid is my favourite hybrid (needs some tlc though)

My track bike is not my favourite track bike though. I prefer them with wheels and cranks…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

No I would give up both my 26er HT and my 29er HT before I give up my El Guapo…..

adsh
    Free Member

I enjoy my Moots better than my Seven.

convert

Every time I ride my cheapest bike I am reminded how useful brakes are. Must get around to sorting that one of these days.

kcal

of my 4 bikes, two were second hand (the Kona was a complete bargain); and the other two – one is now about 15 yo and the other just a year.

Hard to put into priority, but I do love my Kilaeua (as above) and it cost me £75. Would be gutted when it finally gives up the ghost. The Peregrine is great as well, and a lot newer, but a different bike altogether (disc brakes and gears for a start !!)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Is your cheapest bike your favourite?’ is closed to new replies.