• This topic has 89 replies, 79 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Is your bike worth more than…
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

I wouldn’t dream of wasting money on cars. Bikes are different.

alpin
    Free Member

and yes, i do find it funny that we can ride around on relatively ‘basic’ €1.5k HT and outride someone on €6.5k FS.

there is another bike in the bikeshop. guy buys a bionicon for €4k. then pimps it with goodridge, new bearings throughout (before being ridden), CK headset…. the fegging bike has never been ridden. tyres have no sign of wear. like those flashy bikes you see in car showrooms. just would like to ask the guy why he feels the need to have such bling and then do sod all with it. may as well have a cardboard cut out and hang that in the garage.

still, keeps the bikeshops in business.

Gary_M
    Free Member

alpin seems fairly obvious the guy is out of his comfort zone and just trying to fit into the ‘scene’. Love the ‘gayer’ comment!

matt_outandabout

New bike = 3x worth what one car is, but half what the other car is worth 😕

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Car worth 4 times more than my bike. I obviously dont fit into the STW ‘bike/car brownie points’ standard then… 8)

Peregrine
    Free Member

Yes – I don’t have a car.

andrew
    Free Member

Don’t drive so my bike’s, um, worth infinitely more?

Mind you, the missus and I have a mission to get our licences before the end of the year Although I suspect that the bike will still be worth a great deal more than any car we buy.

Coyote
    Free Member

M reg Astra that I got for £200 in Sept.

Bikes, Coyote Dual and Dialled Bikes Alpine. Yup, both my bikes are worth more than my car!

finbar
    Free Member

No car, but if i had one – probably not (unless it was a proper banger).

Filthy
    Free Member

No my cars worth more than my bikes but people would probably think otherwise when I take them out of the scruffy skoda felicia I use to throw bikes and rubbish in

solamanda
    Free Member

Yep, each of my bikes are worth more than my car. Infact the RRP of my DH bike is more than my motorbike cost new.

I spend more on fuel a year for biking than my car is worth :o)

zaskar
    Free Member

All 6 bikes I own are worth more than my banger of car.

Just put a quid on the lotto…draw…doh no numbers!

cirlam
    Free Member

my bike light is worth about as much as my car…to be fair i don’t care that much about my car – its a 1996 nissan micra…reliable and economical, what more do i need?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Bikes worth probably £1200 max if I sold them now car probably £7-9000 if I sold it now. Bikes would cost over £4000 to replace with the new equivalent but the car would be £14,500 to replace with a new one.

But I sold my last car for £123 on the bay and this is my first decent car so do I get brownie points for that.

I have no problem with people that turn up at trails with a very nice car and ride nice bikes. TBF why would they turn up in a £50k car and ride a halfords special if they were serious about riding even if they wernt very good.

fizzer
    Free Member

Car’s worth about 5 grand but if I’d paid retail price for everything on the hardtail and the frame itslf they’d be about the same.

firestarter
    Free Member

my two thule 591 and my budget halfords roof bars are worth more than my car. that said i did only pay £150 for it 😉

jojoA1
    Free Member

*waves imaginary willy*

The forks on one of my bikes are worth more than my car.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Yes, my main bike is worth about double. Both bikes together are around 3 times as much.

firestarter
    Free Member

the seat post on my turner is worth over 50% more than i paid for the car 😉

davedodd
    Free Member

Our cars are worth loads more than our bikes. I don’t really see the point of the thread I’m afraid.

firestarter
    Free Member

i dont see the point of lots of threads on here tho but each to their own

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I took out a 5k loan, spent 3k on bikes 2k on the car.

I can understand some resentment towards the bling bling crowd….if you pull up at the bike shop in your M5, storm into the shop chatting on your blackberry and demand that your litespeed is built up yesterday and yet you cant ride for toffee, then you deserve a bit of stick – especially if you ride it once, realise mountainbiking is actually difficult and never ride it again. You’d get the same in any sport, except golf.

I suppose it’s not dissimilar to someone buying a supercar to mothball it in a garage.

davedodd –
    Our cars are worth loads more than our bikes. I don’t really see the point of the thread I’m afraid.

Trolling for the “all the gear/ no idea” mob 😆

soops
    Free Member

My Thule roof rack is also worth more than my car!! 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

Afraid not, car worth more than bike, possibly worth more than all bikes!!

mrmojo
    Free Member

I would say my car valuation is on par with my bike but I give my bike twice a smuch attention and spend much more time on maintenance. To me a car gets me to work and to the trails end of … my bike on the other hand is my hobbie and takes all my TLC.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

My Yeti was probably worth about as much as my Triumph Speed Triple when it was new (and my Speedy cost me second hand), but since that is getting on for 4 years old now… no.

My car is a company job, and was brand new last year… so very unlikely despite my epic mileage.

epicyclo

A car is a mobile bike storage facility so it should be worthy of its purpose. This means it should cost at least what you paid for that Ti BB, but not more than your Carbon cranks.

BigDummy
    Free Member

No car here either. I spend more on rail fares in a year than I do on bikes, I think….

😕

iainc

this strikes me as a weird thread. On the chat forum there are always loads of ‘what car’ type posts, which suggest that many of us have nice expensive cars, yet this thread indicates the exact opposite. wonders of t’internet I suppose -)

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    this strikes me as a weird thread. On the chat forum there are always loads of ‘what car’ type posts, which suggest that many of us have nice expensive cars, yet this thread indicates the exact opposite. wonders of t’internet I suppose -)

Hardly, it used to be so common amongst mtb’ers that your bike cost more than your car it was almost a cliché. Loads of people on here…plenty of them petrol heads like myself. I’d love a fancy car if I could afford it but I’d still like something to haul bikes around.

Ambrose

When I go on holiday with the bikes on my wife’s car… the bike locks and security cables are worth more than my car. I spent a small fortune on security, getting cables specilally made up at the chandlers as well as the usual commercially available stuff.

There are days where I think I’m a bit of a d1ck though. My bike is worth over 50 times a FS Halfords special. There is no way I’m a 50 time better rider because of it. And I doubt that I get that much more pleasure either. But it is an absolute joy to ride and I wouldn’t want to give it up.

iainc

[GNARGNAR – Member

iainc – Member

Hardly, it used to be so common amongst mtb’ers that your bike cost more than your car it was almost a cliché. Loads of people
    ]

C’mon, have a look over the last few days/weeks/months – loads of chat from BMW/Audi/Seat Leon/GTI/Megane Cup type drivers. I think it’s a case of certain threads appealing to certain posters, which is no surprise….

mrsflash
    Free Member

Yup, another one who doesn’t own a car 🙂

IcarusGreen
    Free Member

My Pug 106xsi cost me £550 and my CBoardman Mtb FS Comp costs £800 (consiberably less through cycle t work scheame). But i am looking at upgrading the car to a Van so i can convert it to a camper and loose weekends on the bike.

aracer
    Free Member

Got 4 bikes which are probably each worth more than my car (depending on how you value them, though fairly confident I’d get more on ebay for at least 3 of them than for the car). I’d have to add the cost of them all together though to beat the cost of the car. Also got 2 kayaks sitting in the garden which are between them worth more than the car.

0range5

No car, but it’s worth more than the van! Not by too much though! But there’s far less pleasure in having an expensive car than an expensive bike.

jedi

even my bmx is worth more than my car 🙂

Shandy
    Free Member

I’ve got a nice car but I’ve also picked up about 4 or 5 grands worth of bikes in the year since I started. There would probably be plenty of people on here who consider me all the gear, no idea when standing in a car park, and I would probably drop a few of them on the first climb out of said car park. I’ve been on both sides of the divide, when I worked in the Alps we had plenty of punters who had the best kit money could buy, but didn’t actually understand what made it so good, or even how to use it.

mike_check
    Free Member

jedi – Member

even my bmx is worth more than my car [:)]

Same ‘ere, my car is shit!(my bmx is ace though!)

flamejob
    Free Member

I think I have a 1:4 ratio here

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Is your bike worth more than…’ is closed to new replies.