• This topic has 47 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Is working at a tip the best job in the world?
  • robdob
    Free Member

I have inspected pretty much most of the council places in West Yorks in my job and not one of them has a “tip shop”.

I wish they did, it would reuse (which is much better than recycling) so much stuff.

I did get lucky once though when I went to the Hudds one to drop something off (personal not professional visit). As I was asking the guys there if they kept bikes out of the skips to reuse them (which they grumpily said no to) an old bloke came up to us and asked where he could put the two items he had in his hands.

As they were 2 fully working classic Roberts radios I said “into my hands, thank you!” Still use them now!

singletrackmind

Tip Shop on Hayling Island, Hampshire.
    Usually golf clubs, fishing rods,kids bikes and garden tat.
    Big sign saying ‘Vehicle access only’ which isnt very envirnomentaly friendly. They dont enforce it though as many people wander in with wheelbarrows full of garden waste.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

No ‘tip shops’ at Ripon, Harrogate or Wetherby. I wish there was!

The staff at Ripon are very good, I was ‘struggling’ to get a cabinet out of my car & the lass that was there & just picked it up & hoyed it in the skip! Wouldn’t like a fight with her though!

Rockape63
    Free Member

we’ve got a Tip Shop at Leatherhead dump. Its only been there a couple of months I think and having scanned the ‘wares’ when driving past……..I’ve not been tempted yet! 😕

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I work at the local tip .. Or household recycling center as it says at the front ! … money is utter crap but on the hole i enjoy the job, lots of banter with the customers and occasionally walk away with good stuff even though we are not supposed to ! … Lots of weekend working though so does cut into ur riding plans ….
    Our tip is nicely lit up this time of year with all sorts of chrimbo decorations, its even made the news a few times with the light show 🙂

BillMC

on the hole i enjoy the job

stop digging!

br
    Free Member

Tip Shop at the Aylesbury one, and tbh I’d always have something ‘choice’ to throw – then I’d ask where it should go and next thing they’d all descended and emptied my car 🙂

Now in rural Scotland and our local one is ace, always willing to help.

Marin
    Free Member

Liverpool and Birkenhead ones are very jolly. Got a nice set of four garden chairs on a visit me and the joiners use for our tea break. Very comfy.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Is working at a tip the best job in the world?’ is closed to new replies.