• This topic has 47 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Is working at a tip the best job in the world?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If not, why are all the staff so friendly, pleasant and helpful? Visited tips in Cumbria, West Midlands and Surrey recently and always the same helpful approach.

Mixed load of stuff today from v old bike, printers, general tat, paint, cardboard etc and the staff were all there immediately helping where to put each item and with big beaming smiles. Incredible attitude. Better than anywhere else today!

So excuse the general ramble, but a thank you and chapeau to all the really nice folk in the refuse/recycling world. If only everyone had the same attitude, the world would be a better place.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Should come down here and have your illusions crushed…..
    Miserable, unhelpful, often rude, most times belligerent to exactly what you can take there, often refusing stuff that is clearly ok according the the councils regs.

bearnecessities

Friendly & helpful bunch in Pudsey/Kirkstall – I’ve certainly got my CT value from them in last 2 years.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The Tip?
    No, my local one is good, always friendly and helpful, but the bin men will send your bins three doors down if they don’t get their envelope…

jimmy

It’s like the dump, where that guy off of Top Gear hangs out.

chewkw
    Free Member

If they don’t have to work with ZMs then I am sure there is less pressure on their lives hence able to afford being friendly …

convert

Ours are quite good too. The ones down the road in Portsmouth however are a right bunch of miserable arseholes. They are so obviously on the make too, I don’t quite understand how they get away with it – they all have their cars parked just outside the exit and snatch away anything of value and shove it their cars and the amount of tradesmen not so subtly passing over a few folded notes to get access to putting their waste in the household waste section is untrue.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you need to meet the bleach blonde mulletted scouser at our tip to see real customer service – he ignores all men and only helps ladies

Having heard his patter I feel sorry for them

Most of the others are indifferent.

ninfan
    Free Member

Mixed load of stuff today from v old bike, printers, general tat, paint, cardboard etc. the staff were all there immediately helping where to put each item and with big beaming smiles. Incredible attitude. Better than anywhere else today

What do you expect? You just delivered their car boot stock in perfect time for Sunday morning.

gobuchul
    Free Member

What do you expect? You just delivered their car boot stock in perfect time for Sunday morning.

They are so obviously on the make too, I don’t quite understand how they get away with it – they all have their cars parked just outside the exit and snatch away anything of value and shove it their cars

I really don’t see why anyone would have a problem with this?

If some lazy fecker can’t be bothered to either take usable items to a charity shop or list them on ebay/freecycle but would rather throw something perfectly usable away, why shouldn’t they save the item from landfill or destruction? Seems by far the most sensible option for everyone.

I doubt they will be funding lavish lifestyles from the money made.

MoreCashThanDash

Excellent here in Ilkeston pick too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Filmed at lancashire ones and a sackable offence as it is theft.

Perhaps why they are so miserable?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have no problem with them using my stuff – good luck to them!

The two guys at Ambleside at 08:00 a few Sundays ago were quite a tonic.

No problems with two flirty ladies at the loca tip either- a different type of tonic 😉

tomd
    Free Member

Our local East Lothian one is great, very helpful and we’ll run.

They’ve also built a massive display of all the horrific garden tat people have chucked. Life size concrete tigers, 2 x snow white and 7 dwarves figurine sets etc.

It needs to be opened as a museum to consumerism and waste.

Rubber_Buccaneer

It needs to be opened as a museum to consumerism and waste.

I bet they have piles of 26″ bikes in a skip 🙂

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

The tip is a depressing and dangerous place for me.

Depressing when I see the stuff people send to landfill and dangerous because it’s so tempting to come back with a boot load of it.

Last time I was there some guy was chucking in an Amiga 500 and a dozen or so boxed games. I nearly cried.

mtbfix

The big tip in Reading is all indoors. The chaps there are generally helpful and, crucially for them, dry.

mt
    Free Member

I’d recommend the team at Leyburn refuse and recycling facility. Very friendly and helpful. If they are earning some extra money with a little peronal recycling then thats great, they are helpful whatever we take there.

We should celebrate the people like them, binmen and cleaners who make our lives easier.

househusband

They’re great at our nearest in St Andrews; we had numerous trips there when we moved to the area – bought them all pastries one trip.

km79
    Free Member

We should celebrate the people like them, binmen and cleaners who make our lives easier.

Not the binmen. **** the binmen, useless bastards.

convert

If some lazy fecker can’t be bothered to either take usable items to a charity shop or list them on ebay/freecycle but would rather throw something perfectly usable away, why shouldn’t they save the item from landfill or destruction? Seems by far the most sensible option for everyone.

Because, as I’m sure you know if you have been to a tip/dump/recycling centre in the last 20 years, most centres have their own ‘shops’ to sell the salvageable stuff back to the public to partially cover the cost of running the place. So for employees to plunder the choice bits and take them away is effectively steeling from their employer.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Because, as I’m sure you know if you have been to a tip/dump/recycling centre in the last 20 years, most centres have their own ‘shops’ to sell the salvageable stuff back to the public to partially cover the cost of running the place.

I have never seen this.

I have lived in a number of places all over the UK in the last 20 years and I have never heard of it or seen it!

convert

I have lived in a number of places all over the UK in the last 20 years and I have never heard of it or seen it!

You have never lived until you have been to the dump shop! Look a bit harder – I haven’t been to one in ages that didn’t have one.

MrOvershoot

Ours are a great bunch of lads always lend a hand to people struggling to unload stuff.
    Even made me cups of tea while I was taking massive amounts of rubble while doing the patio.
    They are strict on checking you are eligible to use the Waste Reception Center which is good as it stops people from the Wirral clogging the place up.
    Best one was a woman being told to put her tat back in her car and take it to her council tip. “But its so badly run” was her wail. Bloke at tip said “Tough luck you need to take that up with your council and stop dumping stuff where you don’t pay for it”

footflaps

Every tip I’ve been to has one…

hammyuk
    Free Member

Then like I said gobuchul – come down here.
    3 containers of stuff they are currently selling on.
    The stuff they haven’t pulled back out themselves or stopped people actually putting in.

Do a bit of work in the house? – you’re allowed 4 rubbish sacks. Thats it. Nothing more.
    Gardening? Green below 50mm diameter is fine. Turf? Dirt? Nope – comes as part of your 4 sacks.

Go in with a trailer – you can’t take a single thing out of the car. Nothing.
    Watch people drive outside – move stuff from car to trailer and drive back inside.

Hampshire are a total joke where recycling is concerned. The amount of stuff they are legally obliged under EU/legislation to recycle and what they actually do is massive.
    When questioned they say that there isn’t a “market” for it so its not financially viable for them to do so.
    FYI – this is aluminium we’re on about! Foil, pie tins, etc. Can’t go in the recycling bin – has to go in the landfill/incinerator one.
    Same with paper – plain/newspapers are ok. Magazines, leaflets, flyers, shredded, etc – all in the black bin.
    They actually open the bins here to check.
    One a while back walked to the end of a row of 20 bins to take a box off the top, throw it on the floor, take bin, empty it, walk back with bin, put box INSIDE bin, then put a tag on it to say they’d refused to empty it due to overfil/incorrect items!
    Cue ensuing barney when owner of said bin walked out of their house after watching them….

dirtyrider
    Free Member

tip shop? never seen one or heard about one in my life 😆

kcal

tip shop? you what??

MrSparkle

Ditto

MoreCashThanDash

Not noticed a tip shop at the Ilkeston tip.

Could be any one of the start up shops at the bottom of Bath Street maybe?

bigblackshed

Never heard of a tip shop.

Obviously you live in an affluent area where the quality of rubbish is far higher. Or you live in India, where all our recycling goes, and you’re searching over the piles to resell the valuable bits.

bearnecessities

No tip shops here.

unovolo
    Free Member

tip shop? never seen one or heard about one in my life

Non at the 3 tips I generally go to (Glossop, Stalybridge and Bredbury)
    God forbid if you ever have to go in via the weighbridge entrance at Bredbury its like being interrogated by the Gestapo even if your waste is from home.

gobuchul
    Free Member

From a quick google there would appear to be a number of councils that run tip shops.

Great idea.

However, I have lived in both Kent and Somerset in the last 6 years and neither had tip shops.

cbike
    Free Member

Dropping of bags by foot if you have a roof box on or by bicycle incurs much wrath in Glasgow at Polmadie.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Exeter tip shop is brilliant .Dropped off a van load of cardboard boxes and accidentally came home with 5 beautiful dining chairs.. look like they are 1930s.
    Friendly helpful staff with a good attitude what they do.All hail the Tip men!

nickjb
    Free Member

The staff are a bit rubbish at our local. Never once seen them help someone carry something, they don’t manage the traffic flow which causes bottle necks and jams and they get sniffy if you try out take something out. They also don’t police the tipping so loads of stuff goes in the wrong bins Which may reduce the value of or even write off the contents. No tip shop either. Haven’t seen one for 20 years.

pk13

Our guys are all on the make they used to sell shot bunnies too, but the council put a stop to that.
    Nice to see it being sorted correctly I hate waste.

project
    Free Member

our two local tips are closed on christmas and boxing day still doesnt stop idiots dumping all their rubbish at the gates each year, then another group of idiots go scavenging through it and scattering it around.

Strangely every recycling centre ive ben to theyve been very helpful and freindly, unlike some sainsburys and morrisons

konabunny
    Free Member

I’ve seen a tip shop but not in this country. Got a Trek for about £15! But it was 26″ so valueless rubbish obviously 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Is working at a tip the best job in the world?’ is closed to new replies.