Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is Wharncliffe worth a 2 hour drive?
  • sharkattack

Looking for a day out on the DH bikes and a change of scenery. Driving down from Newcastle so a 4 hour round trip. Not bothered about pushing up hills.

What can we expect? Is there many trails there? I get the feeling all the best stuff might be well hidden.

Is there enough to keep us busy all day Saturday? Any pro tips from the locals?

Cheers

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah there’s definitely enough to keep anyone decent occupied for a day. Particularly if you ride Greno as well (which is basically the same woods).

Nowadays most of it is pretty well-established. If you get lost just ask a local. It’s usually teeming on a Saturday.

ads678

Warnecliffe is a he’ll of a lot quieter as greno gets more popular. But both side are great to ride and also very different. Plenty there for a day though.

steveh

If you’re on dh bikes then Wharncliffe has more than enough to keep you busy for days however as you suggest it’s not all the easiest to find. Some pre exploring on Strava would give you a decent idea though.

Tracey

Loads of stuff to keep you going all day, you can also fit in the Pub run from the Greno side for lunch.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Way more than a day’s riding to be had, might be better to make a weekend of it… friendly locals will probably help you get your bearings

Try Peaty’s drop first, then you won’t have to worry about the rest of your day – that’ll be taken care of by the local Paramedics

chris85
    Free Member

Stick to Wharncliffe for proper downhills, steep, rocky and techie riding full of rock drops and rooty off camber sections.

Stick to Grenoside if you like mega tame xc like descents full of groomed berm baby berms and tabletops..very pedally and flat though and doesn’t really warrant a downhill bike.

Wharncliffe wins hands down in my opinion and has had loads more trails put in like wharnecouver and some more hidden trails further up if you like techie riding.
    You definitely will need someone with local knowledge though to find them.
    Wharncliffe is full of hidden gems!!! 😉
    Good luck!

sharkattack

Thanks for the tips. “proper downhills” is definitely what we’re looking for. Might go back to Greno one day with the Mrs.

Now they’re talking about going to Bolehills instead! Now, 2 hours to ride a BMX track is pushing it for me. I know it’s been rebuilt and looks good. But my jump bike skills are weak and I won’t get my moneys worth.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

If you do go to bolehills just be aware that there have been a few bike-muggings in recent years (not sure if it’s better now).

Tracey

Get them to drop you at Wharncliffe and pick you up on the way back. I know which would put the bigger smile on my face

spicer
    Free Member

What Chris85 said!

steveh

RRR – They’re have been incidents of that for a number of years!

Greno trails are more suiting to trail bikes but flow well and very little pedalling is required to be shifting along at mach 10.

sharkattack

Wharncliffe was accomplished today. Totally worth the trip. Hard place to ride if you don’t know the lines. I got fired into loads of dead ends and stalled loads of corners. There’s plenty of space to let the brakes off and go flat out in some spots.

Had loads of fun though. Can’t believe how many trails are packed into such a small area. I wish it was my local spot.

Tracey

Glad you liked it. Its our local, will be going to play tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is Wharncliffe worth a 2 hour drive?’ is closed to new replies.