Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is welsh compulsary up to 16?
  • fastindian
    Free Member

As above really

ton

not in gods own county it in’t old cock.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yes . . . in Wales 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ambrose

It depends upon a few things.

All children in secondary education in Wales have to be taught Welsh up until they leave school unless they are disapplied. There are two common reasons for disapplication, SEN and entry into the school at a late stage not having been taught Welsh before.

Generally we will not place children into Welsh classes if they join from a ‘non- welsh’ school prior to the end of Key Stage 3, i.e., end of Year 9.

Children with severe learning difficulties will be disapplied from Welsh from the outset, as will pupils joining us who speak little or no english.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I would’ve thought little/no English would’ve been a bonus 😉 from a languages point of view anyway

second what ton said – ‘appen we should learn aar bairns aar own dialect. an’ learn ’em to say Bratfud. ‘an get rid o’ this bloody queens english nonsense

Mind you, I work in Barnsley – I don’t think there’s anywhere in England where the local dialect is thriving as much as it does there

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Not in my school it wasn’t back in the 80’s – Had to take it for three years from 11-14 then could choose to continue it or take french / spanish or german

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

depends on where i th coutry you are and the school

all schools will teach welsh compulsary to all kids upto 16.

But Theres also 3 streems at a lot of schools (maily in the north and more “welsh” areas) one where english is taught almost as a second language so everythig appart fom “english” is taught in welsh. Then theres bi-lingual where you’l get a mix with some lessons in each. And English where Welsh is a second language and only tught in welsh lessons.

Its not as hard as it sounds, the only downside was that when i moved to england at 12 I struggled in some lessons as I knew the theory but had no idea what the word was in english. That and my spelling is atrocious. I could read welsh as well as if not bettter than english, and when asked what language something was written I’d have to go back and actualy look at the words before i could answer.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yes, following on from Ambrose’ post, we moved back to Wales from Cheltenham when our youngest was in year 2 and his older brothers year 4 and 6. My older lads struggled with Welsh while the youngest did well. A full GCSE is optional where we live but a half GCSE (one hour a week) is compulsory.

Flaperon

I hate to say it but knowing a couple of people whose second langauge is English after Welsh, I’d suggest you get as far away as you can and treat Welsh as a novelty.

Makes me sound incredibly bigoted and probably racist too, but it’s screwed these people over badly. As an example, if they’re together with a 3rd person who doesn’t speak Welsh, they’ll chat to each other in Welsh regardless. When pressed, they consider this absolutely normal and it’s how they were brought up (from different parts of Wales, too).

firestarter
    Free Member

No ive never been welsh

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[tongue in cheek]
    aways amazes me, how come when i go abroad eveyone isnt speeking english, i mean its just rude, surely everyone should speek english?
    [/tongue in cheek]

nickc

When pressed, they consider this absolutely normal

People speaking in their native tongue shocker…Apparently, at home, the French think nothing of gabbling away in French…Imagine! 😉

Flaperon

thisisnotasppon – yeah, totally agree if in Wales but this was in SE England.

polarisandy
    Free Member

Some in the lakes.

MORE

polarisandy
    Free Member

wrong thread isn’t it?

epicyclo

Makes sense that you learn the national language if you live in Wales. Ditto Scotland. Your culture and history is intertwined with your language.

I had to learn Latin, and I didn’t notice any Romans hanging around 🙁

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Makes sense that you learn the national language if you live in Wales. Ditto Scotland

Don’t you mean it makes sense to learn English ?

😕

chvck
    Free Member

I lived in England and went to a school in Wales, I had to learn Welsh as a second language from start of year 7 through till year end of 11, I’m still utterly crap it though!

Welsh people in the school were also allowed to do lessons with Welsh as their first language

whytetrash

Ernie…Wales is a Nation, with a now thriving language…I’m a very proud Welshman and one of my biggest regrets is not learning the language as a child. I accept that some for whom Welsh is a first language and used almost exclusively then struggle with exams etc in English but I would counter that with the fact that in North Wales at least fluency is a major plus in business….

As for that old tripe about the Welsh speaking English until outsiders walk in the pub its bollox…if it’s their first language it’s what they use simple as that…..

As for getting far away…we see folk from all over at our local trail centres…seem happy to keep coming and are always made welcome!

mamadirt
    Free Member

LOL @ polarisandy

Surfr
    Free Member

There is a huge amount of ignorance in England regarding the Welsh language unfortunately.

Personally I have spent the past 5 years trying my best to learn. Even with the added advantage of working in a 95% Welsh first language institution alongside many bards and authors, I still struggle.

Anyone growing up in Wales today would be at a serious disadvantage if they did NOT have at least reasonable welsh conversational skills.

Ambrose

Sufr is spot on

whytetrash

Sufr…Getting on in business applies even more so to the arts/creative media arena….good luck learning, I’d love to but something ie biking would have to slip! As work stupid hours and have 2 kids

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is welsh compulsary up to 16?’ is closed to new replies.