Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is TomTom One XL rubbish?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Is it worse than One V3? Currently cheap at Argos.

jon1973
    Free Member

I've got one with all the European maps and it's great. And the wide screen makes it nice and easy to read. What makes you say it's rubbish?

bruneep

wot ^ he said

Hairychested
    Free Member

I read on-line reviews and people were saying it was worse than a regular one. I'm buying it regardless, like a large screen.

PePPeR

I've got a normal one with european maps and its great. I reckon the XL version would be a better view though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tom tom seems better than most of the competition having tried a few

Spongebob
    Free Member

Tomtom are still the best, but having an older version running alongside a current version, you notice some stupid things going on with the new one which is just dumb! I'm talking about route planning. Any Tomtom will get you there, but you really must check the route it's chosen to ensure it isn't being silly.

I was travelling to a place near Bergerac in France last summer. Old version chose a 30m shorter route and offered a 2 minute shorter journey even though the maps of the area were identical.

I "back to backed" these two units over time and found that the route planning was not as good as one would expect.

Earlier versions of Tomtom allowed you to set speed cameras as an overlay, but now this is handled differently so Tomtom can charge you an annual subscription. I must see if I can use the old overlay, but i'm guessing that they will have put pay to this.

Another minor niggle is that that the current Tomtom's tell you when you are approaching a junction and need to take instructions. There are no less than three warnings which can be a tad irritating. The earlier version tells you just the once – much better. I guess they are pandering to "numpty". I turn the voices off now.

Tomtom are still the best satnav with a super slick UI and great online update support etc.

uplink
    Free Member

Spongebob
    The speed cameras are simply set as POIs – you can then choose how & when you are warned about them & works OK on the newer models
    The early warning of approaching junctions etc. can also be disabled without switching the voices off

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is TomTom One XL rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.