Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Is titanium frame so comfortable really ?
  • Kuntoilija
    Free Member

I am considered to buy 456 Evo titanium frame and build it with parts from my fs-bike and use it my main mtb-bike in summer time. Perhaps I would buy a new lighter wheelset and a broader bar. The titanium frame costs alot money at least according to my wallet and I don’t like to spend my money to wrong horse. Is titanium frame so comfortable as owners say, that it nearly feels like has a little suspension in back or is it only a myth? Or will it cause problems to my back and I will soon swapt parts back to 5 Spot frame.
    I like to ride techical single tracks, which are covered rocks and roots even I am not a good rider.

aracer
    Free Member

In answer to the question in the title: no.

wwaswas

It’s probably more like a dropping 5 or 10psi out of your tyres than having even 80mm of travel, tbh. And it depends on the frame design and tube choice too.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s probably more like a dropping 5 or 10psi out of your tyres than having even 80mm of travel, tbh. And it depends on the frame design and tube choice too.

In my experience thats a pretty good explanation.

psling
    Free Member

And it depends on the frame design and tube choice too.

This ^^^ IME.

I have one ti framed bike with a stiff rear triangle (for acceleration, apparantly…), have had a couple of other ti HTs with various degrees of flex and ti road bikes with various degrees of stiffness. The most ‘comfortable’ MTB frame I have is a steel one (an old P7)

bigblackshed

Generally not as comfortable as the maker says. As above really, all depends on design. I’ve ridden a few, all but one were harsh and abrasive. The “good” one was twice the price of the others.

Apart from looking very pretty I couldn’t see the point. Confirmed steel lover here.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

+1 a good ti frame is good, its a little more forgiving but I wouldnt go so far as to say comfortable like an fs bike.

TheGingerOne

I had a steel original On One Inbred and moved everything directly from it to an original Tinbred and it was noticeably more comfortable\softer in my opinion, though as others have said it is not like going to a Full Sus in terms of difference. I also subsequently got a a Ti seatpost which made a further difference.

Once again, as others have said frame design makes more of a difference. And only you can answer whether it is the right choice or not.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s probably more like a dropping 5 or 10psi out of your tyres

I’d suggest more like 1 or 2psi for the flexiest noodliest ti frame, but then I’m not a believer.

br
    Free Member

The titanium frame costs alot money at least according to my wallet and I don’t like to spend my money to wrong horse.

But it seems like you already have, I’m sure your FS was dearer 🙂

And yes, if its as good as the Lynskey 456Ti I have.

kiwijohn

Personally, I have both.
    The yeti is certainly more comfortable, but the the DBR takes the edge off. It’s not going to soak up rock gardens. Tubeless helps a bit too.

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Yes, Ti is lovely.
    I have a steel and Ti hardtail and the Ti is definitely more comfortable, its just the wallet side of things that hurts!

ska-49
    Free Member

My Foia was stiff. My yelli feels just as stiff.

frankz
    Free Member

When you think of the compliance of mtb tyres it is not nearly as significant as on a road bike. I think the benefits lie in durability and ease of maintenance. all my frame look tired after a couple of rides but my Ti frame stayed smart.

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve an original Ti456 and whilst it’s no FS it’s still a great bike for all day rides. How do you describe the ride though? I’d say firm but forgiving, although it’s not as springy as my 853Rock Lobster it’s certainly softer than my carbon alliance XTC – and it has a definite capable and confident feel to it. But, at the end of the day it’s still a hardtail and if you rattle it round Wall2 for a few hours, afterwards you’ll still feel like you’ve been rattling a hardtail round Wall2 for a few hours.

rossi46
    Free Member

Sounds like a Titanium frame is a bit of a Placebo then- you tell yourself that it’s better, so it MUST be better.
    Never tried one myself, but iv’e always lusted after a Kona Hei Hei.
    I’d love to live the dream, but i’m definately happy with my steel Cinder Cone.
    Steel is far better than aluminium though… 😉

slowmart
    Free Member

I have owned a ti deluxe for the last 6 plus years. It’s understated, very quick and comfortable for a hard tail. Most people have a blank expression when I say what it is which is fine by me. That said I’ve had the frame replaced FOC as the original had a crack on the rear stay. All done without quibble. Buy new and get a lifetime warranty. I can’t see me selling it either.

As an alternative I also ride a ASR carbon. In every measurable way it’s better and doesn’t beat me up on a full day ride.

To put it another way, the ti deluxe is the equivalent of making love to a beautiful woman who you love. The yeti is just a shag with no emotional involvement.

It depends on what you want

cinnamon_girl

Love mine, it’s the only bike that I won’t part with. Litespeed.

Russell96

Depends on design and tube choice as been said already. I’ve a Dialled Bikes Morning Glory and used to have a Cotic Soda (original type)the Cotic was comfy and had a very lively spring to its ride, the MG I think sits between Steel and Alu in feel, stiff as Alu, a bit more comfy than Alu but it doesn’t have the same liveliness about it that the Cotic had.

Kuco

Got an Enigma Ti Ego, love it and find it comfy. Same as CG no matter what other bike i’ll get i’d never get rid of the Ego.

Kuntoilija
    Free Member

Thank you for your thoughts. I have also Merlin’s Rock Lobster 853 and I know how “springy” it is. It is not my first choice for techical trails. So Í save my money and not any more fancy about Ti long fork bikes.

mboy
    Free Member

I’d suggest more like 1 or 2psi for the flexiest noodliest ti frame, but then I’m not a believer.

😆

Sounds like a Titanium frame is a bit of a Placebo then- you tell yourself that it’s better, so it MUST be better.

It’s not a Placebo, it’s just it’s a VERY small return, for a heck of a lot of cash!

I’ve ridden a number of Ti frames over the years, some have been so flexy (making too much use of Ti’s inherent elasticity) that they were not nice to ride. The best ones I’ve ridden have all been noticably stiffer though, although with a very slight muted feeling to the ride when compared to an ally or a steel frame. I have what I consider a very good example of a Ti frame myself, and have owned it for a couple of years, but I got it 2nd hand for a bargain price, and the frame is very nearly as stiff as its steel counterpart that it replaced (was an important consideration). It feels a bit like the difference between running tubeless and tubed tyres though, it’s not night and day, it’s just a very subtle improvement to the ride feel.

Oh, and a Ti frame will generally be 30-35% lighter like for like than its steel equivalent. But it’s a big price to pay, even I’ll admit!

downshep

I transferred the wheels/tyres/saddle and other kit from a decent butted steel hardtail to a plain gauge ti frame. There was a noticeable improvement in comfort, responsiveness and handling, even when no one was looking 😉 It is 13 years old and won’t ever be for sale.

Northwind

aracer – Member

Really depends what you’re comparing. Like, I went from an Mmmbop (stiff as a stiff thing) to a Ragley Ti and the difference is pretty noticable. It’s more like going to a bigger tyre than a softer tyre IMO but either way it’s a bigger difference than a couple of PSI. (the Bop was pretty unpleasant on a 2.1 Nevegal, same tyre in the Ragley works very well, frinstance)

But it’s still not suspension.

aracer
    Free Member

I went from an Mmmbop (stiff as a stiff thing) to a Ragley Ti and the difference is pretty noticable.

Oh I don’t dispute that at all. But what you’re feeling is lateral flex, not the frame absorbing the bumps.

Northwind

aracer – Member

But what you’re feeling is lateral flex, not the frame absorbing the bumps.

Well. It’s the frame absorbing the bumps, by flexing.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

I have a ti frame & a full susser.
    I like a hardtail for winter use & also for a more “connected” ride feel sometimes.
    I’d run alu framed HT’s for years, but the last one never really seemed to fit me right. Bought a 456 steel & while I liked the fit, it felt as harsh as the alu frame is replaced. I then took advantage of an On One sale about 18 months ago & bought the Ti version of the 456, along with the Van Nicholas layback ti post. It is definitely smoother than the steel 456 or any of the alu frames I’ve ridden. Not as smooth as a super-lightweight steel frame, but the 456 is a tougher bike & designed to cope with a long fork. It doesn’t have that two wheel steer feel that some really light frames have either.
    Ti frame will still leave you beaten up after a long ride, but waaay better than the 456 steel for a couple of hours. For really rough terrain I’d still take the FS (SC Blur).

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Is titanium frame so comfortable really ?’ is closed to new replies.