Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Is this X -trail hideous?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

X-trail is still in my “maybe” pile of cars.

Spotted one that ticks a lot of boxes, only thing is, it looks a bit gangster. Although I think i actually prefer it to the usual grey tonka toy style.

Ruthless STW opinion?

BoardinBob

Split rim wheels make it look like a boy racer mobile

scruff
    Free Member

Does it say ‘T-Spec Cobra’ on the back ? 😆

peterfile
    Free Member

Does it say ‘T-Spec Cobra’ on the back ?

T-spec is the highest spec for this model, and as far as I can gather from goggle, “Cobra” is the bodywork style.

Junkyard
    Free Member

needs eye bleach but I ahte all 4×4 [ execept landys if you actually need one]

willard

Could you really live with the dash the way it is? Really? I mean, my grey-haired mother likes her X-Trail, but I can’t stand looking slightly to the left to see the dials.

If I look at that, I keep thinking of my mum’s car and, if I saw you, I’d just assume that you owned a couple of retrievers, liked crochet and thought that tweed was a jolly good, hardwearing fabric for daily wear.

Even with the pimp-tastic rims and low profile tyres.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

good car, bad example of one, poorly bastardised effort in attempt to mate it look like a Khan type of conversion. I’d say it’s a grey import too?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The fake splits look hideous.

peterfile
    Free Member

If I look at that, I keep thinking of my mum’s car and, if I saw you, I’d just assume that you owned a couple of retrievers, liked crochet and thought that tweed was a jolly good, hardwearing fabric for daily wear.

It’s not for driving around Surrey.

No need for a nobbly tyred landy, but whatever I buy will be full of camping/climbing/biking stuff every weekend in the Highlands.

X-trail seems like a decent compromise (I don’t like estates).

binners

That looks DOPE!!!

We’re blastin’ off baby!! BOOOOOOOM!!!!

peterfile
    Free Member

OK, so my fears are comfirmed…..gangsta mobile 🙁

Next!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

x-trails aren’t bad. That x-trail though? Mine eyes!

druidh
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    No need for a nobbly tyred landy, but whatever I buy will be full of camping/climbing/biking stuff every weekend in the Highlands.

Any car will cope with that – no need to make a 4×4 “statement” 🙂

TiRed

Avoid the original diesel engines. Can’t vouch for the new one. We went for a CRV instead.

peterfile
    Free Member

Any car will cope with that – no need to make a 4×4 “statement”

Don’t necessarily want something with 4×4, just something with loads of space for kit and isn’t an estate (or an Audi/Mondeo/Passat etc) and gives 40+mpg.

druidh
    Free Member

Get a van. Trust me – I wish I had done so sooner!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Change the rims and BLAM, you won’t be rollin’ wit da big dog no more….

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t necessarily want something with 4×4, just something with loads of space for kit and isn’t an estate (or an Audi/Mondeo/Passat etc) and gives 40+mpg.

No, I absolutely demand that you justify your car choice to me! 👿
    I wouldn’t think that something with so much bling will be good for any offroad forays, particularly the wheels/tyres.

IanMunro
    Free Member

If Gangsters like towing caravans, then yes it looks Gangster.

higgo
    Free Member

It’s not hideous but it’s not far off (to my taste anyway).

Here’s mine:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    binners

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!! I’m pimpin’an heavy hittin’ baby!!!!!

Cheers Flashy 😀

z1ppy

<shuffled in> I like it..<shuffle out>

BrickMan

URGH!

Normally they are not bad, but that one looks like its been tarted up by some middle eastern teenager**

** they love the sticky back faux chrome, shiny wheels and general tacky stickers/logos’ stuck on everywhere, which is a pretty good precursor to tell you steer the hell clear of it!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Those wheels will cause nothing but problems for you. We had a 3 year old Vitara that the previous owner felt the need to add 19 inch wheels to. Tramlined so badly that we had to shell out £700 for another set of smaller wheels and tyres that were closer to the original size (although still didn’t feel completely right)

Sold the 19’s but only got £150 for them.

Car companies fit a certain size of wheel for a reason

Edit: In fact on second look, those wheels and tyres look exactly the same. If you’ve got an extra £700 to blow on wheels that actually work, then knock yourself out, but that looks like Gulzars had a hand in that (search “Gulzar” on Pistonheads set gag reflex to boke)

rogg
    Free Member

That is minging. You don’t often see pimped up X Trails, and it seems that this is the reason why.

They are brilliant though – you shouldn’t need a T Spec or Aventura, the cheaper Columbia is pretty highly specced (the only car I’ve had with cooled cup holders), and don’t pay extra for an early one with sat nav – it’ll be a bit out of date by now (my ’06 model used to insist I was off-roading when I was on the Newbury bypass). Also don’t pay extra for an Aventura with those roof-rail lights – you’ll never use them.
    The 2.2 diesel has a reputation for turbo problems, but mine only had routine servicing in 75K miles. You soon get used to the central dials on the dash – having the glove box right in front of you can be handy. They also have switchable 4WD, unlike the RAV4 and CR-V.

unovolo
    Free Member

lose the wheels and most of the stick on chrome tat and it might look half decent.
    I did look at getting one of these,but running costs did not seem to good even with the diesel engine plus its a fairly old car design wise.
    Personally I prefer the equivalent Honda CRV.

ocrider

The 2.2 diesel has a reputation for turbo problems, but mine only had routine servicing in 75K miles. You soon get used to the central dials on the dash – having the glove box right in front of you can be handy. They also have switchable 4WD, unlike the RAV4 and CR-V.

FWIW, my one is nearing 200k and no problems since the turbo went dodgy about 130k ago.
    The newer ones have the dials ‘where they should be’ and a 2 litre Renault diesel engine with more oomph.
    They still look nicer than that one up there too (Big up the Big Dog Wesssssstwooood!)

CountZero

Lose those ghastly wheels and the chrome and it’s a good, understated vehicle. That one looks like the owner really wanted a Range Rover Sport, on a Mondeo budget. There’s a Navaro Mammoth parks near where I work, and I really like how that looks.
    If they’ve still got the original wheels, get them swapped over, and either lose the chrome detailing, or mask it, rub it down with a scouring pad and spray it with a muted colour, like a gunmetal.
    I think you’ve got the basis there for a good truck. 😀

CaptJon
    Free Member

peterfile – Member

Spotted one that ticks a lot of boxes, only thing is, it looks a bit gangster.

It really doesn’t.

ocrider

Was it ever actually used as a hearse? 😆

Drac

To me it says “I really wanted a Range Rover but couldn’t afford one”.

takisawa2

You’d look a total **** driving that, let’s be honest…

Mugboo

Don’t forget your asking overweight, 30 something IT consultants.

It looks lovely.

Then again I’m pimping my T4 and seriously considering a carbon wrapped bonnet 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

How are you expecting to get 40+mpg from an x-trail?

seavers
    Free Member

Ghetto fabulous!

If you don’t deal dr*gs to 15 year olds now you will do within the year.

Private plate needs to be changed though. D3 ALS

Joking aside, I don’t think it looks to pimped, the wheels look good but if you are bald, 50 and carrying some timber I would look else where.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I manage about 38 average in ours. Mostly driving about town, with the occasional motorway run. Probably get about 45 on the motorway at 65-70.

Ours is an ’02 2.2DI , older nissan engine but I upgraded the intercooler when it burst last year to the newer, bigger one. Currently on 147k

And yes, that one is awful!

toppers3933
    Free Member

it looks safe blood, innit!

sparkyrhino

Brrraaaatttt Brrratttttt

Alex

Had one. Didn’t look like that 😉 Bought three years old with 21k on it. One week in, intercooler exploded. Nissan grudgingly paid most of the cost of the fix, four more years, 55k added not much went wrong. It was getting a bit saggy and due an expensive service, but otherwise brill for mountain bikes, growing family, dog, etc, etc. Even used the 4×4 a bit in the snow and various muddy fields masquerading as event campgrounds.

Had a voracious appetite for brakes and tyres (flipping expensive tyre size), sounded a bit truck-y when it was cold but otherwise decent car. Only lost 3.5k when i traded it. Looked at new ones- a. Ugly(er) b. HOW MUCH!

So much as I loved mine, the one posted by the OP would have me walking instead 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Is this X -trail hideous?’ is closed to new replies.