Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Is This Why G4S Got It So Wrong
  • grantway
    Free Member

I was at a party last night and was talking to a neighbour Two doors down.
    Whom went for a job at G4S and went for training only to find half way
    through the course G4S then told him it was only for the Olympic period
    and the pay was £ 8.50 per hr.

All that aside but how the hell are you meant to feel secure when they are on £ 8.50 per hr.
    Just what level of security do you get for that money !

Thank god the Army have taken over and Theresa May should be fired.

donsimon
    Free Member

All that aside but how the hell are you meant to fell secure when they are £ 8.50 per hr.

Considering that minimum wage is 6.08 and the Olympics isn’t a permanent feature, I’m not sure anyone is being diddled.

Drac

Isn’t £8.50 per hour more than most squaddies get?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Plenty are getting diddled by the olympics

donsimon
    Free Member

Plenty are getting diddled by the olympics

Maybe, but not those being offered temporary work by G4S. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

£17.5 k for a private so about the same for 40 hour week for the lowest rank.
    So no almost no squaddie [ training only] gets that

Full pay scales here and full pension after 22 years

khani
    Free Member

Well they’re providing shipping containers for them to sleep in, so if they shut the doors they’ll be pretty secure..

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

£17.5 k for a private so about the same for 40 hour week for the lowest rank.

Doubtless there are soldiers who work a 40 hour week, but many will work far longer than that. On operations 90/100 hours per week will not be in uncommon and often for months and months on end. The military are not paid on the basis of a 9-5, then piss off home. I hope to God that G4S are properly hammered over this.

Junkyard
    Free Member

true. However we will have civilians and troops working side by side and the troops will be paid the higher rate for almost every single squaddie which i think counters Dracs point

Edric64
    Free Member

Isnt G4S the company formerly known as Group4 ? who kept losing prisoners in transit so they changed their name ?

br
    Free Member

Yep £8.50 an hour for 4-5 weeks = so probably £2k max; and G4S get £8k for supplying them…

G4S didn’t get it wrong, its the London Olympic crowd who got it so wrong – ‘cos G4S get paid for anyone they supply, and no fines for any they don’t…

grantway
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    Isnt G4S the company formerly known as Group4 ? who kept losing prisoners in transit so they changed their name ?

Yep thats them 🙄

Drac

What would they get on the first few weeks then? As the Olympics isn’t running for 22 years.

matt_outandabout

It is more than our classroom assistants get in schools.
    Maybe mrs_oab should offer to help and up her wages…

BobaFatt
    Free Member

how many people in this country are out of work? couldn’t the government have come up with some scheme for a couple of weeks where people on benefits get paid a full wage from G4S but still get their benefits?

That way they get their volunteers “ok, you do the work, you don’t have the hassle of signing off then signing back on, you get to be a part of the olympics and you get some extra cash in your pocket too”

I’m sure that flies in the face of benefits and getting a job, but for a couple of weeks wouldn’t it benefit most people involved?

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ Drac So the army is recruiting just for the Olympics and then only paying the training rate then releasing them?

I dont even know what point you are trying to make here tbh.

that is too well thought out there Bobba fett and does not allow a private company to make shit loads of money out of the arrangement.

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/armypayscales.htm

atlaz
    Free Member

I’m sure that flies in the face of benefits and getting a job, but for a couple of weeks wouldn’t it benefit most people involved?

Well they could be taxed in that period I guess which would “put something back”. Seems like it’d be a good plan.

scaredypants

Who are all these people who’re going to sign up for a couple of weeks’ work at whatever rate (and attend training beforehand – is that paid at all ?) ?

I assume they’re “all” currently unemployed (unless there’s throngs of working people going to either resign or take leave to allow attendance).

My guess it’s a right ballache to re-sign on for benefits after a short spell of employment – is that right ? They also need to travel to the venues and possibly pay for accommodation, do they ?

I wouldn’t do it anyway but I deffo wouldn’t do it on those terms (though I admit I’ve assumed them – and when you assume, there’s no I in team, or something)

Mr_C
    Free Member

They are also the company who managed to put a home curfew tag on an offender’s false leg.

Drac

My point is it’s temporary job so the pay scale is going to be low. I was wrong with most squaddies, possibly, I’m not sure what what allowances they get for operational duties. But stating they get a pension after 22 years irrelevant because like I say the job is temporary not for 22 years so you can’t compare that.

My point overall is that the £8.50 won’t buy protection is a bit daft as I thought junior squaddies hourly rate was around £7.50 an hour

billysugger
    Free Member

fnar fnar £8.50 fnar.

I call troll. Or Should I
    say I Call Troll.

Junkyard
    Free Member

My guess it’s a right ballache to re-sign on for benefits after a short spell of employment – is that right ?

nah you can do a rapid reclaim so your claim is left as “life” but just suspended between certain dates.

hourly rate would depend on hours worked as as noted above we could debate that for ever. I think it is reasonable to say it is less than what the squaddies will be on on average if not every case.

binners

The G4S security positions I saw the links too were minimum wage. £6 an hour? Bearing in mind that the place you’ll be working in will be the most expensive location in the known universe, come the start of the Olympics, I can understand a lack of enthusiasm

There’s also crazy anomalies,like their being no public transport available at the times their shifts would finish. I’m pretty sure subsistence level wages are prohibitive to car ownership

Gorehound
    Free Member

Thank god the Army have taken over and Theresa May should be fired.

So the last government totally overlooked any security arrangements for the olympics did they. The olympics is yet another fiasco left behind for someone else to sort out by an incompetant bunch of morons.

maccruiskeen

I assume they’re “all” currently unemployed (unless there’s throngs of working people going to either resign or take leave to allow attendance).

A large proportion of the people who are unemployed at any one point in time are people who are in and out of short-term and temporary employment, so for most people who would take on a job like this the temporary nature of it is not at all unusual.

Also… its summertime, I’d imagine a lot of the posts would be filled by students

The wage doesn’t seem all that unusual for event security and stewarding – people do the same work at music festivals for a free ticket (then find themselves standing in a carpark pointing for 4 days, out of ear shot of the music). We are talking ‘security’ in the sense of a high viz jacket standing near a gate sense aren’t we? Not in the close-protection talking into your cufflink , take a bullet for the president sense.

noteeth
    Free Member

yet another fiasco left behind

Nobody is excusing NuLav – the incumbent politicos are simply enlarging on the privatisation process which was well-established under Bliar and Broon. And I notice that May isn’t doing anything to stop the handing over of Polis back-office & support services to this bunch of jokers.

I can’t wait until G4S, Crapita and Serco run everything in security, healthcare and defence – it will all be so, y’know, efficient.

Junkyard
    Free Member

We are talking ‘security’ in the sense of a high viz jacket standing near a gate sense aren’t we?

no in a stopping armed terrorist sense not pointing at an open field to help someone park their mums car sense

A WHISTLEBLOWER who worked with G4S on preparing security personnel for London 2012 has said there is a “50 per cent” chance of a bomb being carried into an Olympic venue when the Games begin in two weeks’ time.

He told Sky News that trainees who failed basic tasks were still given a security badge and approved to work in the Olympic park. One security guard failed to find a 9mm pistol hidden in a volunteer’s sock during a patdown while another allowed a ‘terrorist’ who put a mock bomb through an X-ray machine to melt away into the crowd.

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/olympics/47956/g4s-whistleblower-50-cent-chance-olympics-bomb#ixzz20hShiZmp

Northwind

Gorehound – Member

So the last government totally overlooked any security arrangements for the olympics did they. The olympics is yet another fiasco left behind for someone else to sort out by an incompetant bunch of morons.

I like this- last week when everyone thought Labour made the contract with G4S, it was all their fault for making a bad contract and the Tories couldn’t be blamed. This week, now we know the Tories made the bad contract, it’s Labour’s fault for not making a good contract before the Tories could **** it up :mrgreen:

Junkyard
    Free Member

For some on here, no matter what happens they just let their political bias decide their view irrespective of the actual facts

What else should the Last govt have planned for 2 years after they were not in power? the health service, NHS reform etc?

BrickMan

^^ pretty much they charge out each unit at about 2-3 what they are actually paying them (would hazard a guess at £20/hour/per unit), so because they’ve been so cheap/ greedy on the personel front, they are going to get well and truly turned over.
    Serves them right for being yet another greedy supplier/contractor to the olympics IMO

br
    Free Member

so because they’ve been so cheap/ greedy on the personel front, they are going to get well and truly turned over.

Which is not what is actually going to happen – I can’t imagine that the ‘missing’ income will even make it as a footnote in their quarterly report…

grantway
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Gorehound – Member

I like this- last week when everyone thought Labour made the contract with G4S, it was all their fault for making a bad contract and the Tories couldn’t be blamed. This week, now we know the Tories made the bad contract, it’s Labour’s fault for not making a good contract before the Tories could **** it up

Dam Northwind you beat me to it !

Put it this way Gorehand.
    Two weeks back I was talking to someone whom has his son in the Army and
    they was getting ready in Cyprus and was told that half of his Platoon was going to
    Afghanistan and those that where going Afghanistan where more happy going there
    than those whom was going to the Olympics so yes having G4S is a joke contract.

Gorehound
    Free Member

IMO having the olympics is a joke and it’s going to cost us the taxpayer a bloody fortune, and who is going to get the blame for the whole fiasco?

Gorehound
    Free Member

I like this- last week when everyone thought Labour made the contract with G4S, it was all their fault for making a bad contract and the Tories couldn’t be blamed. This week, now we know the Tories made the bad contract, it’s Labour’s fault for not making a good contract before the Tories could **** it up.

So labour didn’t make any security arrangements for the biggest sporting event this country is going to host. That is just typical of their fly by night mickey mouse way of running things that has got this country in the mess it’s in now (even though you socailist idiots are too brainwashed/braindead to see it. Granted the tories aren’t much better, but nobody can deny the last labour government was the worst this country has ever had.

grantway
    Free Member

Yep most people would say its a Joke and even worse when I live
    within the Borough Newham where it is being held.

regarding the TAX payer well think we be paying for it for the next 22 years approx.
    To blame Olympic committee I suppose?

Gorehound
    Free Member

Only 22 years?. Better than the EU then. We’ll be paying for that joke for bloody ever.

BrickMan

We should just pick up the whole country/island, and move it so we adjoin Canada/Norway/Japan/South Korea and have done with it.

Also think the Olympics would have been better placed somewhere like Manchester/Glasgow/Birmingham/Bristol/Newcastle, somewhere that has AMPLE brownfield sites going for peanuts, and have significantly more people willing to get the key jobs filled out and done.

Up north all we ever hear/see/actually happens, is London/ the south gets everything remotely worthwhile, and we’re just lumped with the combined bill when it doesn’t work out. Thanks for that.

donsimon
    Free Member

regarding the TAX payer well think we be paying for it for the next 22 years approx.

How much per person per week/month/year?
    I mean if it’s a couple of pennies per year it’s nothing except headline fodder.

D0NK

G4S became so when group 4 bought securicor iirc.
    having worked for them I was concerned when I heard they were protecting the paying visitors but, as I’m an olympa-grump with no tickets, not too concerned obviously.

oh yeah and I call troll on gorehound

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Is This Why G4S Got It So Wrong’ is closed to new replies.