Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is this website sentient? 'Intelligent' adverts- how does that work??
  • Talkemada
    Free Member

I've just noticed, after clicking on a few threads, that some of the adverts seem to reflect the subject/topic of the thread! I must say I find that a little bit disturbing. Is it deliberate? It doesn't seem to be purely coincidental!

How does that work then, or am I going mad? 😯

It's all a bit beyond me, this internet malarky…

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's pretty simple content tracking, the advert supplier (be that software on this site, or on a supplying site (google adsense etc)) simply scans the page the advert is "called" from and checks the words in it, it then filters adverts to reflect those words. Some even plant a cookie on your computer so you'll get adverts for something you've been looking at even if you're on a site that has nothing to do with it or in a thread that has nothing to do with it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

does that count as intelligence ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanMunro
    Free Member

Yep, I've nearly been caught out by that last one before 🙂

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Talkemada – try typing 'google' into google. According to the 'IT crowd', if you do, it breaks the internet.

wwaswas

always a good one on a shared use computer the old 'leave a cookie lying around' trick…

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ah, ok. So, a bit like how a spellchecker highlights any 'wrong' words? I see. So, it 'recognises' words, and sorts out ads according to the existence of certain words in a thread? Blimey.

Thanks for shedding some light on it all, coffeeking. It's all very clever! I don't understand webbery stuff much, it was confuddling me somewhat. I think I sort of understand it now.

Eee, this internet thing, it might actually catch on, you know!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Seriously, don't try the google thing. It will break the internet.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

But if you don't you'd never find this…

http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/ 😉

Is there a list somewhere of all the 'regional' googles like google.co.uk?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Hmm, let's try it out.

iPhone

Talkemada
    Free Member

No, it's not working now.

It knows, I'm sure it does…. 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is this website sentient? 'Intelligent' adverts- how does that work??’ is closed to new replies.